You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this hands-on course young artists aged 12-15 will let their imaginations free as they explore make-up special effects for performance, fashion, film, and TV.
To book your young artist’s place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Spring term 2025
Saturday 1 February – 22 March 2025
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring make-up artists aged 12-15.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No, your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
This highly tactile course is an extension to our Special FX Make-up (stage 1) course. It gives aspiring make-up artists the chance to deepen and widen their knowledge and skills and have fun doing so!
It's ideal for young artists who are interested in exploring prosthetic, casualty, and creative fantasy make-up, and those who have some previous experience but wish to cover new ground and explore new and alternative techniques.
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy.
- Drinks and snacks for break time and duration of class; please ensure snacks don't contain nuts
- It's strongly advised phones, tablets and other valuables aren't brought to class. Any personal possessions are the responsibility of your young artist and AUB won't be liable for any loss or damage
About this course
This alternative and highly practical special effects make-up course has been designed for aspiring make-up artists aged 12–15. They’ll unleash their imaginations and gain hands-on experience creating a range of exciting, special effects looks that wouldn’t look out of place in performance, fashion, film and TV shows.
Throughout this course, your young make-up artist will receive a broad introduction to creative make-up design and application. This’ll be based on the many diverse methods, applications, and specialist techniques surrounding special effects make-up for media and performance.
With access to our cutting-edge professional make-up studios, your young artist will be expertly led by specialist youth tutor Julia Carter, who has over ten years of make-up experience teaching BA (Hons) Make-up for Media and Performance at AUB.
Your young artist will receive a comprehensive overview of the creative side of make-up, concentrating solely on special effects. Some of the themes they’ll explore include prosthetic, casualty, and creative fantasy make-up. They’ll have the opportunity to work in a professional environment and will work on looks in pairs that’ll be rotated each week.
During their time with us, your young artist will be supported to fully explore their creative talent and future potential as a special effects make-up artist. Along the way they’ll develop positive communication skills, learn about the importance of health and safety, and gain the confidence and experience to apply make-up on another person.
- An introduction to the world of creative make-up
- The importance of health and safety and how to use relevant equipment safely
- Fake blood and skin workshops
- Simulated skin conditions, scars, acne, and scratches
- Techniques for applying skin paint, including contouring and shading
- Making and applying prosthetic scars
- Applying special effects techniques and props to create aged appearance
- Design, make and apply realistic (but false) tattoos
- Sci-fi make-up design and application
- Self-directed design and application to showcase in final session photoshoot
At the end of the course your young artist will:
- Possess improved artistic skills and make-up application techniques
- Understand how to apply make-up following health and safety guidance
- Be able to use and apply a range of make-up materials
- Understand how to convey and transfer design ideas to practical application
- Have experience being a model
- Understand and be able to practice good time management
- Possess improved communication skills
- Understand the importance of preparation and developing design ideas
- Understand the importance preparing materials to applying designs in logical stages
- Be able to source the appropriate materials
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- You can request a certificate to confirm your young artist's achievements, providing they have 100% attendance record. To request a certificate please get in touch with us at email@example.com and confirm name of your young artist and the title of course they've completed
Meet your young artist’s tutor
Beyond the course
This could just be the start of your young artist's creative journey! After this course, your young artist could continue to harness their creativity and explore alternative Saturday Art School subjects, look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media.
Creative Futures in Art and Design for Further Education
On this practical course, students aged 14-17 will prepare and develop a robust portfolio for future creative arts studies.
Saturday Art School
Our Saturday Art School courses are designed to inspire and enable the creators of tomorrow – take a look at our full list of courses here.
Important information about Saturday Art School courses
Why choose Saturday Art School for your young artist?
At Saturday Art School we encourage your young artists to be themselves; there's no right or wrong way to be creative.
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Saturday Art School booking T&Cs
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before booking your young artist onto our Saturday Art School courses.
How to book
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.