You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Saturday Art School
- Special FX Make-up – Exploring Alternati...
Special FX Make-up – Exploring Alternative Applications (stage 2)
On this hands-on course young artists aged 12-15 will let their imaginations free as they explore make-up special effects for performance, fashion, film, and TV.
To book your young artist’s place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Saturday 27 January – 16 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This unique course is ideal for young artists who are interested in exploring prosthetic, casualty, and creative fantasy make-up, as well as those who have some previous experience but wish to cover new skills.
This course has been developed for aspiring make-up artists aged 12-15.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
This course is an extension of our Special FX Make-up (stage 1) course. It gives young artists that have studied this course the chance to explore and develop new, alternative techniques and have fun doing so!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of creative make-up and special effects.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
This alternative, special effects make-up course has been designed for aspiring make-up artists aged 12–15. They’ll unleash their imaginations and gain hands-on experience creating a range of exciting, special effects looks that wouldn’t look out of place in performance, fashion, film and TV shows.
Throughout this course, your young make-up artist will receive a broad introduction to creative make-up design and application. This’ll be based on the many diverse methods, applications, and specialist techniques surrounding special effects make-up for media and performance.
With access to our cutting-edge professional make-up studios, your young artist will be expertly led by specialist youth tutor Julia Carter, who has over ten years of make-up experience teaching BA (Hons) Makeup for Media and Performance.
Your young artist will receive a comprehensive overview of the creative side of make-up, concentrating solely on special effects. Some of the themes they’ll explore include prosthetic, casualty, and creative fantasy make-up. They’ll have the opportunity to work in a professional environment and will work on looks in pairs that’ll be rotated each week.
During their time with us, your young artist will be supported to fully explore their creative talent and future potential as a special effects make-up artist. Along the way they’ll develop positive communication skills, learn about the importance of health and safety, and gain the confidence and experience to apply make-up on another person.
- An introduction to the world of creative make-up
- The importance of health and safety and how to use relevant equipment safely
- Fake blood and skin workshops
- Simulated skin conditions, scars, acne, and scratches
- Techniques for applying skin paint, including contouring and shading
- Making and applying prosthetic scars
- Applying special effects techniques and props to create aged appearance
- Design, make and apply realistic (but false) tattoos
- Sci-fi make-up design and application
- Self-directed design and application to showcase in final session photoshoot
- Possess improved artistic skills and make-up application techniques
- Understand how to apply make-up following health and safety guidance
- Be able to use and apply a range of make-up materials
- Understand how to convey and transfer design ideas to practical application
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate the importance of good time management
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media or BA (Hons) Makeup for Media and Performance
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Meet your young artist’s tutor
Julia has had a varied career in the Arts, and has taught sculpture and life drawing as a visiting lecturer in further education and at...