You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
To book your young artist’s place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Autumn term 2024
Saturday 28 September – 14 November 2024 (nine sessions)
Please note, there's no session on 5 October or 2 November due to AUB Open Days.
Continuation in spring term 2025
Saturday 1 February – 8 March 2025 (six sessions)
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 14-17.
It has been designed for aspiring artists who have a keen interest in the creative arts and personal portfolio development. Students may already be studying creative arts GCSEs or A Level or equivalent level 3 qualifications, are home schooled, or are studying at a STEM-focused school and are seeking to expand and explore their creative potential.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
Your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
Even though your teenage artist may be considering applying to study the Creative Arts at Further or Higher Education it’s not a requirement for the course to have an application in progress. We welcome any teens that keen to prepare their art portfolio.
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your artists getting messy.
- Drinks and snacks for break time and duration of class; please ensure snacks don't contain nuts.
- It's strongly advised phones, tablets and other valuables aren't brought to class. Any personal possessions are the responsibility of your young artist and AUB won't be liable for any loss or damage.
About this course
This brand-new highly practical 15-week course is suitable for aspiring artists aged 14-17 who wish to build and develop their personal portfolio to complement their existing creative studies. It'll also support teens who are considering applying for Further or Higher Education studies in the creative arts.
Delivered by specialist portfolio development tutor, Claire Flexen, this course will be delivered over two terms where your teen artist will explore the creative process and develop their personal identity through a series of stimulating and challenging assignments, projects, and problem-solving exercises.
Each week artists will be introduced to new skills and techniques through a series of practical-based workshops using a range of equipment, experimental techniques, and different mediums, that are vital in the art world and creative industries. This will all be underpinned with informative talks and ongoing feedback to keep them updated as they progress their creative portfolio development.
Subjects and skills covered includes experimental and observational drawing, collage, printmaking, 3D work, mixed media and illustration, as well as covering fundamentals such as colour and composition and exploring surface and texture. Your young artist will gain confidence in displaying and sharing their personal work, and they'll be supported to fully explore their creative potential and learn how best to display, and share completed work.
In the spring term, artists will consolidate skills-development through personal assignment work will be encouraged to undertake any personal projects that they may wish to progress, all under close guidance and support from their tutor. They'll also receive a number of informative talks from AUB Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media tutors to explore the creative pathway options in Further Education and have the opportunity to receive a personal portfolio review.
- Skills in the fundamentals of visual practice and research
- Subject specific workshops, including drawing, painting, conceptual idea development, 3D, printmaking, collage, life drawing, and sculpture
- Working with a range of mixed media
- Fundamental creative techniques and methods
- Observational and expressive drawing techniques
- Sketchbook development
- Independent research, idea development and experimental work
- Analyse and respond to the work of historical and contemporary artists and designers
- Continual formative appraisal and critique
- Guidance on portfolio development and presentation
- Advice on photographing and digitising work
- Portfolio review and progression advice
- Receive support in making an application to study at AUB
At the end of the course, your young artist will:
- Possess improved fundamental art and design skills as well as new skills and techniques
- Have an improved understanding of the creative processes required for a range of art and design subjects
- Be the proud owner of a robust and exciting portfolio of work that they’ve completed throughout the course and demonstrates emerging ideas, interests, and motivations
- Have increased confidence in their own skills and when sharing their work and discussing ideas
- Be able to identify and develop their own visual language and creativity
- Possess an enhanced creative skillset and knowledge
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate the importance of good time management
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- You can request a certificate to confirm your young artist's achievements, providing they have 100% attendance record. To request a certificate please get in touch with us at email@example.com and confirm name of your young artist and the title of course they've completed
Beyond the course
This could just be the start of your young artist's creative journey! After this course, your young artist could look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media.
Important information about Saturday Art School courses
Why choose Saturday Art School for your young artist?
At Saturday Art School we encourage your young artists to be themselves; there's no right or wrong way to be creative.
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Saturday Art School booking T&Cs
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before booking your young artist onto our Saturday Art School courses.
How to book
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.