You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Saturday 30 September – 18 November 2023
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring make-up artists aged 12-15.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of creative make-up.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
This hands-on course offers an exciting and diverse introduction to a wide range of make-up skills and special effects and is ideal for young artists that’re interested in prosthetic, casualty, and creative make-up.
Throughout the course, your young make-up artists will receive a broad introduction based on the many different methods, applications and specialist techniques surrounding make-up, particularly special effects make-up for all types of media and performance.
Delivered in our state-of-the-art make-up studios, your young artists will be expertly led by their tutor, Julia Carter, who has over ten years of experience stemming from her time teaching across AUB’s BA (Hons) make-up for Media and Performance.
Your young make-up artists will receive a well-rounded experience of the creative side to make-up and special effects. They’ll have the opportunity to work in a professional environment and have the real experience of working on each other. They’ll also develop good communication skills as they learn about the importance of health and safety and gain the confidence to apply make-up on another person.
- An introduction to creative make-up
- Designing and applying creative make-up, using wigs and a variety of special effects
- Casualty make-up to include black eyes, slit lips, bruises and blisters
- Special effect and prosthetic make-up to include severed fingers, burns, and applying a prosthetic nose
- Creative make-up to include monster creation
- Possess improved artistic skills and make-up application techniques
- Understand how to apply make-up following health and safety guidance
- Be able to use and apply a range of make-up materials
- Understand how to convey and transfer design ideas to practical application
- Be able to apply make-up to model with confidence
- Possess improved communication skills
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate the importance of good time management
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Expand their make-up and special effects skills and learning more advanced techniques in our Special FX Make-up – Exploring Alternative Applications (stage 2) course next term
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity