You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical 15-week course begins in the autumn term and continues throughout spring. Please see the specific term dates below.
Tuesday 4 October – Tuesday 6 December 2022
Tuesday 17 January – Tuesday 14 February 2023
Duration and times
15 Tuesdays 18.00–21.00
This course encourages complete beginners or those with some previous experience to develop a broad-based set of essential skills, giving you the opportunity to develop a personal project supported by a team of dedicated, knowledgeable, and friendly industry professionals.
Taught by specialist tutors, you'll explore the world of professional modelmaking starting with the basics and including architecture models, sculpting, moulding and casting, dioramas, and more.
For the first 5 weeks of the course you'll have the time and opportunity to explore varied materials and skills. Following this you’ll continue with larger, more ambitious projects, using newfound essential and key industry skills.
You'll have the chance to experiment and work with a variety of standard and specialist materials used in the construction of models and be encouraged to use basic materials, silicon, plastics, and polymer clays. The course tutors will expertly guide you through set exercises each week, alongside demonstrations and presentations of prepared examples from sculpting, sets, architectural models, and miniature landscapes.
You'll be challenged to produce professional models working in a rewarding, fun and vibrant environment.
This course is ideal for anyone with a passion for making. Likewise, it’s a perfect fit for anyone considering working within the specialist field of modelmaking, or looking to study this subject further, including pursuing BA (Hons) Modelmaking.
- Mould making
- Architectural modelmaking
- Scale landscapes
- Hard and soft-edged models
- Personal projects
Find out more by clicking the profiles below.
- To provide an introduction to the wide and varied practice of modelmaking
- To provide an insight into the many different aspects and specialist techniques of commercial modelmaking
- The opportunity to create your own models and develop your skills and practice in the demonstrated methods
- To support understanding of the different areas of modelmaking, providing you with the opportunity to make and evidence new skills and techniques acquired
- The goal of this course is to give you a comprehensive overview, understanding and hands-on experience of the commercial world of modelmaking
- By the end of the course you'll have a greater understanding of some of the most commonly used techniques within modelmaking and experienced hands-on practice of these techniques
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate get in touch with the course team at firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is designed for anyone new to the world of modelmaking or those who want to refresh and hone their skills. Suitable for budding makers aged 18+.
Basic materials will be provided for this course.
Pleas note, you may need to purchase larger quantities of specialist materials depending on the scale of the models you choose to produce.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.