You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this exciting, extended 15-week Modelmaking course you'll discover the processes, materials and techniques used to create amazing models, landscapes, and sculptures.
We’re currently updating our course information and expect to open booking for our 2024/25 courses in April 2024, so please check back then for new course dates. In the meantime, you can sign up to our short course newsletter for updates and to be notified when we’re accepting 2024/25 bookings.
What you need to know
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring modelmakers aged 18+.
It's suitable if you're a beginner and new to the world of modelmaking or if you've some previous experience with modelmaking and wish to develop your skills further.
This course is ideal for anyone with a passion for making. Likewise, it’s a perfect fit for anyone considering working within the specialist field of modelmaking, or looking to study this subject further, including pursuing BA (Hons) Modelmaking.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All basic course materials and tools.
Are there additional costs?
As your models and designs progress, you may need to purchase larger quantities of specialist materials which will incur an additional cost.
Costs will vary according to the type of materials and quantity that you require, but we'll give advice about where and how to purchase materials suitable for the designs you've developed.
Projects can be designed to suit everyone’s budget.
What should you bring to class?
- Notebook and pen/pencil to jot down ideas and information
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind getting messy or bring an apron
- Glasses (if you need them for close-up work)
Why should you choose this course?
- Have the opportunity to create your own models and develop your skills using a range of specialist materials
- Learn the technical aspects and specialist skills required for commercial modelmaking
- Explore a range of different types of model
- Develop your unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
This extended 15-week modelmaking course will provide you with valuable and specialist insight into the world of professional modelmaking. You'll discover the processes, materials and techniques used to create amazing models, landscapes, and sculptures.
This course allows you to develop a broad-based set of essential skills, giving you the opportunity to develop a personal project supported by a team of dedicated, knowledgeable, and friendly industry professionals.
Taught by specialist tutors, you'll explore the world of professional modelmaking starting with the basics and including architecture models, sculpting, moulding and casting, dioramas, and more.
For the first five weeks of the course you'll have the time and opportunity to explore varied materials and skills. Following this you’ll continue with larger, more ambitious projects, using newfound essential and key industry skills.
You'll have the chance to experiment and work with a variety of standard and specialist materials used in the construction of models and be encouraged to use basic materials, silicon, plastics, and polymer clays. The course tutors will expertly guide you through set exercises each week, alongside demonstrations and presentations of prepared examples from sculpting, sets, architectural models, and miniature landscapes.
You'll be challenged to produce professional models working in a rewarding, fun and vibrant environment.
- Mould making
- Architectural modelmaking
- Scale landscapes
- Hard and soft edged models
- Personal projects
- Possess the technical skillset required to create your own models from a variety of different materials, including silicon, plastics, and polymer clays
- Understand a wide range of modelmaking types and practices
- Possess the technical skills to use a range of modelmaking tools safely, effectively and efficiently
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your photography skills further; explore our full range of 3D Design and Modelmaking short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- Explore further study, including BA (Hons) Modelmaking
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
3D modelmaking gallery
On this course, you'll develop a range of new skills and techniques to enable you to create beautiful, imaginative models. You'll experiment with different materials and explore a range of model genres, including sculpting, scale models, architectural models, and miniature landscapes.
3D modelmaking classes in action
The sessions on this course will take place in AUB's dedicated modelmaking workshops where you'll practice using a range of materials and will hone your techniques. You'll develop skills in casting, mould making, sculpting and creating both hard and soft edged models.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Why choose AUB for your short course?
We're a first-choice provider of art and design short courses for anyone wishing to engage in art and design subjects in their spare time.
Reasons to study a short course
There are plenty of reasons to consider studying a creative short course. Perhaps you want to retrain, learn new skills, or just have fun...
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses booking T&Cs
Please read our Terms and Conditions carefully before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you