You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this 10-week course, you'll explore the world of illustration, from brief to concept to final artwork, with the aim of developing your personal style of image making.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Thursday 5 October – 7 December 2023
Thursday 18 January – 21 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Thursday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in developing their illustration skills, learning new techniques and gaining confidence when it comes to communicating visually.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with illustration and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
No previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' section. See below.
Are there additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring your preferred drawing equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
What should you bring to class?
- A4 or A3 sketchbook
- Laptop or iPad with either a drawing tablet/Apple Pencil
- Photoshop/Procreate/similar digital painting programs
- Drawing pencils
- Drawing pens
- Coloured pencils or pens
- Watercolours or inks
- Watercolour brushes
- Pair of scissors or a craft knife
Why should you choose this course?
- Learn new skills to develop your illustration style and creative voice
- Come away with enhanced confidence in your observational skills
- Experiment with different mediums
- Explore ways to tackle a brief and create interesting solutions
- Discover new ways of working with industry standard software
- Learn a wide range of fundamental illustration skills and techniques
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
On this short course you’ll look at different approaches to art, design and illustration to help inform the development of your artwork and to understand illustration in the context of visual culture today.
You’ll use time-honoured tools, cutting-edge contemporary software, and develop a variety of techniques to allow you to explore new ways of image making and develop your personal style.
You’ll be encouraged to visit and record exhibitions and collect images and materials to inspire your practice. Sketchbooks will be used to help build your confidence in the process of visual problem-solving, drawing, gathering research and thinking through ideas. By the end of the course, you’ll have a bank of visual knowledge, curated to your own interests and style, that will lead to new ideas and exciting outcomes.
In your sessions you’ll have the opportunity to develop your illustration practice using the creative process, including mind-mapping, research, and development, in order to create illustrations with confidence while responding to a variety of briefs.
- Narrative illustration
- Illustration for picture books and publishing
- Decorative illustration (products and packaging)
- Visual sequencing
- Editorial illustration
- Using drawing, digital, and analogue painting, collage, linocut and more
- Working to a brief
- Using Photoshop and/or Procreate
- Possess improved artistic and illustration skills
- Understand fundamental illustration principles
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Feel confident approaching illustration in a range of mediums
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a sketchbook of experimental and finished works in a variety of mediums
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your illustration skills further; explore our full range of Art, Design, Drawing and Painting short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you