You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This 10-week course explores all the major elements of dramatic scriptwriting and will have you penning the next big thing for the silver screen in no time.
We’re currently updating our course information and expect to open booking for our 2024/25 courses in April 2024, so please check back then for new course dates. In the meantime, you can sign up to our short course newsletter for updates and to be notified when we’re accepting 2024/25 bookings.
What you need to know
When does it run?
We’re currently updating our course information and expect to open booking for our 2024/25 courses in April 2024, so please check back then for new course dates.
How long is the course?
10 Tuesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring scriptwriters aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their writing skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
This course primarily focuses on creativity rather than academia. However, a good level of English is required as all classes and writing projects will be conducted in English.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources.
Are there additional costs?
No, all course materials and resources are included in your course fee.
What should you bring to class?
- A notebook and pens/pencils for notes
- A good imagination and an open mind
Why should you choose this course?
- All course materials and resources included in your course fee – no hidden costs
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to develop your ideas into written pieces
- Expand your knowledge and understanding of the major elements and craft components of dramatic scriptwriting
- Evolve your understanding of scriptwriting from beginner-style elements to embracing advanced techniques
- Examine how to work to and tackle a brief, including treatment, synopses and adaptations
- Improve your creative writing abilities
- Explore and experiment with different genre conventions
- Understand the realities of the industry: less ‘dare to dream’, more ‘focus and write’
- Explore your original voice and discover where your screenwriting talents best lie
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 14 like-minded creatives
About this course
Taught by Emmy-nominated scriptwriter Mike Garley, this intensive 10-week course explores all the major elements and craft components of dramatic scriptwriting, from structure to characterisation, dialogue, professional formatting and more.
Before a producer, director or editor can start work on a project, the screenwriter must develop a creative and interesting concept. Blending the requirement for an engaging narrative with an idea work on screen, the art of screenwriting is a unique challenge that requires creativity and a thorough understanding of screenwriting and genre conventions.
During each session, you’ll explore a different area of skill using presentations and relevant examples. Individual ideas and projects are welcome to be shared for group feedback discussions.
You'll explore working to a brief: treatment, synopses, adaptations; receive practical advice on layouts and presentation of scripts, and carry out analysis of key sequences from a variety of films.
Similarly, you'll examine and understand the demands and expectations of the industry, which includes how to sell yourself and market your script. Each week you’ll undertake engaging homework assignments to highlight and illustrate the various demands of screenwriting craft.
- Screenwriting and genre conventions
- Major elements and craft components of dramatic scriptwriting, from structure to characterisation, dialogue, and professional formatting
- Ways to work to and tackle a brief, including treatment, synopses and adaptations
- Group discussions and feedback to develop ideas and concepts
- Examine the demands and expectations of the industry, including how to sell yourself and market your script
- Honest and practical guide (along with personal insights!) into making it in the industry once the course is finished
- Possess improved writing skills and the tools to write compelling original scripts
- Be knowledgable about the film and tv industry and have insight into how to break into it and the realities of what this takes
- Be able to write in a variety of different styles and apply your knowledge to a range of genres
- Understand all the major elements and craft components of dramatic scriptwriting, from structure to characterisation, dialogue, and professional formatting, and how to exercise these
- Not be afraid to experiment and adapt your ideas as you go
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity, imagination and enjoyment of writing
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Harness your creativity and develop your writing skills in different genres; explore our full range of Creative Writing short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Why choose AUB for your short course?
We're a first-choice provider of art and design short courses for anyone wishing to engage in art and design subjects in their spare time.
Reasons to study a short course
There are plenty of reasons to consider studying a creative short course. Perhaps you want to retrain, learn new skills, or just have fun...
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses booking T&Cs
Please read our Terms and Conditions carefully before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you