You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical 10-week course is a must-do for aspiring interior designers as it gives you the chance to explore the possibilities that computer-aided design can bring to your designs.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Autumn term 2023
Tuesday 3 October – 5 December 2023
Spring term 2024
Tuesday 16 January – 19 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Tuesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring interior designers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their digital and computer-aided design skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with interior design, AutoCAD or SketchUp and wish to develop your skills further.
Also suitable for anyone in studying or has studied The Essential Interior Design Programme (SEG Level 2 Award).
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources.
Are there any additional costs?
No, all materials and resources are included in your course fee.
What should you bring to class?
- A notebook and pens/pencils to take notes
Why should you choose this course?
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create interior design projects using AutoCAD and SketchUp
- Gain hands-on experience experimenting and using the software to create both 2D and 3D designs
- Learn the skills to produce interior design drawings and fully-furnished and decorated 3D models to a professional standard
- Improve your knowledge and understanding of annotation, dimensions and scale and how this is used in the software to create accurate drawings and models
- Explore different methods to communicate your interior design ideas
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 14 like-minded creatives
About this course
This 10-week course is an absolute beginner’s introduction to AutoCAD and SketchUp for Interior Design. It’s an ideal introduction to using computer programmes for drawing simple plans and 3D representations of spaces for interior design.
Through demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and hands-on practice you'll learn to display your interior design skills in computer aided drawings.
Your tutor will introduce you to the basic tools and practices in SketchUp and AutoCAD, the go-to industry software for 3D modelling. You’ll master the tools available to you in the software, including how to use the drawing tools, measuring tool, push/pull tool, follow-me tool, orbit, pan and zoom tools.
Once you’ve mastered the software tools and can navigate SketchUp with ease, you’ll put your skills into practice by learning how to draw an interior space in 3D, add colours and finishes and then add furniture and accessories. You’ll tackle how to draw a building and add a roof, windows, and doors.
This course is an excellent starting point if you’ve never used these programmes before and would like to give it a try and gain confidence with computer drawing.
You'll learn how to apply knowledge of dimensions, scale, and other interior design aspects to your creative ideas, enabling you to create 2D and 3D artwork to a high standard using professional design software.
- Master the toolbars and user interface of SketchUp and AutoCAD
- Navigate your designs on-screen
- Fundamental tools such as line, rectangle, circle, arc, offset, copy, fillet, and trim
- Draw floor plans, elevations, and furniture
- Export your work as professional drawings to scale
- Annotation and dimensions
- Model your designs in 3D with realistic materials and furniture
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of both SketchUp and AutoCAD
- Be able to navigate the software with ease and utilise the tools available efficiently
- Have the skills to create 2D drawings in AutoCAD, such as floor plans
- Possess the technical skills to model your interior design scheme in 3D in SketchUp
- Be able to produce and print professional drawings to scale
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your skills further; explore our full range of Interior and Architectural Design short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you