MA, BA (Hons)
You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This 30-week course gives you the opportunity to develop sound photography skills and earn an accredited level 2 qualification from Skills Education Group.
We’re currently updating our course information and expect to open booking for our 2024/25 courses in April 2024, so please check back then for new course dates. In the meantime, you can sign up to our short course newsletter for updates and to be notified when we’re accepting 2024/25 bookings.
What you need to know
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring photographers aged 18+.
Perfect if you have a passion to learn and develop your photography skills, either as a hobby, to prepare you for future academic study, or for career development/redirection.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
It’s recommended that you complete Digital Photography – Essential Techniques (stage 1) before taking this course, or already have a firm understanding of your camera’s controls.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes! You can pay for this course in instalments, starting with a deposit of £449.
To pay by instalments, give us a call on 01202 363222 and we’ll handle your booking over the phone.
Please note, you cannot pay via instalments if you book online. You must phone us to set this up.
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' or 'additional costs' section below.
Are there additional costs?
You'll need to provide your own camera and USB memory drive. This'll incur an additional cost if you need to purchase one for the course. See below.
You’ll be responsible any expenses when it comes to printing your images and preparing for your personal project/ shoot.
What should you bring to class?
- Digital camera with full manual controls (including instruction manual) and any accompanying equipment
- USB cable for card reader/computer connection
- USB memory drive (8 GB recommended)
Why should you choose this course?
- Improve your artistic abilities
- Gain a level 2 qualification that’ll open the door for future career or academic progression
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to independently take creative photographs
- Enhance your knowledge of what it takes to be a successful photographer
- Develop research, analytical and self-assessment skills
- Develop your understanding of historical and cultural influences and styles
- Give you the chance to work from a brief and run your own project - from concept to print
- Enable you to independently plan, source locations and resources
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas and develop your visual voice
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This 30-week Skills Education Group level 2 accredited qualification will enable you to develop an understanding of photographic processes, practices, and the photo-imaging industry. You’ll develop skills to take and manipulate images using a range of equipment, techniques, and image processing software.
Having a level 2 qualification gives you the opportunity to prepare for progression into employment or further learning.
You'll be guided through the fundamentals of photography and explore creative techniques in photography to gain a greater understanding of how to ‘tell a story' through your photographs and find your photographic style. You'll take part in a variety of studio shoots including still life, portraiture and commercial, as well as a series of location shoot exercises in the wider Bournemouth area.
Through a series of talks, demonstrations, and practical projects the course will develop your awareness and understanding of the different roles and employment opportunities available within the photographic industry. It also includes an exploration of the legislation relevant to photographic practices, copyright, intellectual property, and photographers’ rights.
Post-production workshops will increase your knowledge of photographic processes and editing software. You'll understand how to professionally prepare and print images and build a selection of your images taken during the course to construct your professional portfolio.
Through a wide variety of group and personal projects, you'll develop your ideas and create challenging, informative photographs that communicate and conform to portfolio/exhibition standards.
You'll be expected to continue with personal project-based photographic research and assignments out of course hours, which will ultimately expand your overall knowledge.
- Creative controls offered in modern DSLR cameras
- Essential add-ons such as tripods, speedlights, lenses, filtration
- Light, light quality and control
- Metering and histograms
- Lighting techniques (studio and location)
- Post-production options and applications, image enhancement, professional web/print output options and optimum settings
- Image-based visual communication
- How to turn ideas into creative concepts
- Considering themes and subject matter
- Individual and group project-based assignments
- Working to a project brief
- Image critique and portfolio building
- Presentation skills
- Possess improved artistic skills and have what it takes to be a successful photographer
- Have a strong portfolio of work showcasing your skills developed throughout the course
- Be able to demonstrate a wide range of photography techniques
- Have the skills to effectively and efficiently use a range of photography equipment to enhance your work
- Understand how to turn your ideas into creative concepts
- Be knowledgeable in a range of different artistic processes and post-production options
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 363222.
Once you complete this 30-week course and meet the necessary assessment criteria you’ll be awarded an accredited level 2 Skills Education Group (SEG) qualification and will receive a certificate to confirm this achievement.
After this course, you could:
- Consider pursuing further creative academic study; take a look at our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- Consider a change in career
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Why choose AUB for your short course?
We're a first-choice provider of art and design short courses for anyone wishing to engage in art and design subjects in their spare time.
Reasons to study a short course
There are plenty of reasons to consider studying a creative short course. Perhaps you want to retrain, learn new skills, or just have fun...
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses booking T&Cs
Please read our Terms and Conditions carefully before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you