You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical course is available to study in either our spring or autumn term. Check out the term dates and different course options below.
Thursday 6 October – Thursday 8 December 2022
Duration and times
10 Thursdays 18.00–21.00
Thursday 19 January – Thursday 23 March 2023
Duration and times
10 Thursdays 18.00–21.00
This course is ideal for anyone who wishes to gain an understanding and appreciation of interior design and offers you the chance to experience a variety of topics through a series of practical projects.
Over the course of 10 weeks, you'll learn the delights of interior design that'll give your design scheme that ‘wow’ factor. This introductory course provides a systematic approach that covers subjects including the history of design, planning, surveying and measuring interiors.
You'll learn a broad range of skills covering drawing scale plans and elevations with projects that will assist your understanding of basic colour theory, the psychology of colour, pattern and texture, fabric, finishes and presentation.
Your tutor, Katie Thomas, is a successful Interior Designer and company owner who has won numerous design commissions both locally and nationally. Katie brings a wealth of industry experience and knowledge to this course and delivers this introductory course in an easy-to-understand step by step fashion.
Whether you're looking to study this subject for your own interest or wish to apply to further interior design courses, the course will provide you with an ideal opportunity to build up your portfolio and learn the basic tools of the interior design trade.
- The use of colour in interior design, colour theory and psychology
- Site surveying, drawing accurate scale plans and elevations
- Learning to draw in 3D
- Historical and cultural influences in design and architecture
- Understanding interior design styles
- Working on a project to a brief
- Concept design, mood boards, sample boards
- Spatial planning, sourcing materials, furniture and finishes
- Turning 2D design ideas to 3D
- Presentation skills
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
The course aims to:
- Enhance your knowledge of what it takes to be a successful interior designer
- Enable you to independently conduct a site survey and draw accurate plans and elevations
- Provide you with the skills to draw your interior schemes in 3D
- Develop your understanding of historical and cultural influences and interior design styles
- Give you the chance to work from a brief and run your own interior design project – from concept to 3D
- Provide you with a sound understanding of concept design, mood boards and sample boards
- Enable you to independently space plan, source materials, furniture and finishes for your interior scheme
- Enhance your ability to communicate your design ideas in 2D and 3D and confidently present these to potential clients
- You'll have a good understanding of the role of an interior designer and the interior design process from start to finish, and be able to independently run an interior design project
- You'll have a completed interior design project from concept to 3D that can be used as part of a portfolio for further study or employment
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate get in touch with the course team at email@example.com
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those students who wish to improve their understanding. Suitable for creatives aged 18+.
- A2 sketchpad or approximately 12 sheets of A2 cartridge paper
- Selection of pens and pencils and a rubber
- Scissors/craft knife/scalpel
- Pritt stick or paper glue
- Coloured pencils
- Set squares – 1x 45 degree and 1x 30 degree or an adjustable one
- A scale ruler for drawing plans (choose one with scales of 1:20, 1:50 and 1:100)
- Paint colour charts and colour mixer cards
- Any fabric, flooring or materials samples
- A selection of design magazines from which to cut images
If you are unsure of anything, your tutor will explain the list of materials in the first class.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.