You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Autumn term 2023
Thursday 5 October – 7 December 2023
Spring term 2024
Thursday 18 January – 21 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Thursday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for aspiring interior designers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who wishes to gain an understanding and appreciation of interior design and offers you the chance to experience a variety of topics through a series of practical projects.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with interior design and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' section below.
Are there additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring some drawing equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
What should you bring to class?
- A2 sketchpad or approximately 12 sheets of A2 cartridge paper
- Selection of pens and pencils and a rubber
- Scissors/craft knife/scalpel
- Pritt stick or paper glue
- Coloured pencils
- Set squares – 1x 45º and 1x 30º or an adjustable one
- A scale ruler for drawing plans (choose one with scales of 1:20, 1:50 and 1:100)
- Paint colour charts and colour mixer cards
- Any fabric, flooring or materials samples
- A selection of design magazines from which to cut images
Why should you choose this course?
- Enhance your knowledge of what it takes to be a successful interior designer
- Learn how to independently conduct a site survey and draw accurate plans and elevations
- Develop your skills to draw your interior schemes in 3D
- Develop your understanding of historical and cultural influences and interior design styles
- Enhance your ability to communicate your design ideas in 2D and 3D and confidently present these to potential clients
- Develop your understanding of historical and cultural influences and interior design style
- Have the chance to work from a brief and run your own interior design project – from concept to 3D
- Develop a sound understanding of concept design, mood boards and sample boards
- Develop the skills needed to space plan, source materials, furniture and finishes for your interior scheme
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This introductory 10-week course provides a systematic approach that covers subjects including the history of design, planning, surveying and measuring interiors. It's ideal for anyone who wishes to gain an understanding and appreciation of interior design and offers you the chance to experience a variety of topics through a series of practical projects.
You'll learn a broad range of skills covering drawing scale plans and elevations with projects that will assist your understanding of basic colour theory, the psychology of colour, pattern and texture, fabric, finishes and presentation.
Your tutors, Katie Thomas and William de Liefde-Foote, bring a wealth of industry experience and knowledge to this course and deliver it in an easy-to-understand step by step fashion.
Whether you're looking to study this subject for your own interest or wish to apply to further interior design courses, the course will provide you with an ideal opportunity to build up your portfolio and learn the basic tools of the interior design trade.
- The use of colour in interior design, colour theory and psychology
- Site surveying, drawing accurate scale plans and elevations
- Learning to draw in 3D
- Historical and cultural influences in design and architecture
- Understanding interior design styles
- Working on a project to a brief
- Concept design, mood boards, sample boards
- Spatial planning, sourcing materials, furniture and finishes
- Turning 2D design ideas to 3D
- Develop your presentation skills
- Possess a good understanding of the role of an interior designer and the interior design process from start to finish
- Have the skills and knowhow to be able to independently run an interior design project
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a range of beautiful pieces designed and created by you
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your interior design skills further; explore our full range of Interior and Architectural Design short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutors
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.