You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
In this highly practical 10-week course, you'll learn the essential skills needed to create your own clothes with confidence.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Wednesday 17 January – 20 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Wednesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Please note: it’s a mandatory requirement that you attend the sewing workroom machinery induction in the first session of the course in order to fulfil the university Health and Safety policy.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for designers, aspiring sewers and garment makers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in developing their sewing skills, particularly concerning garment construction, and learning new techniques to create customised patterns.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is not a beginners course. Ideally, you'll have completed our Clothes Making – an Introduction (Stage 1) short course or possess some previous experience in garment construction and using sewing machines.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- A basic amount of calico and pattern paper for making a practice garment, known as a toile, will be supplied
- Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' or 'additional costs' section below
Are there additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring some sewing and drawing equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
You can purchase additional calico from the tutor.
You'll be required to purchase the fabric for your final pieces; this will incur an additional cost though projects can be tailored to suit all budgets.
What should you bring to class?
- Pencils (preferably 2B)
- Tape measure
- Dressmakers' pins
- Fabric scissors
Why should you choose this course?
- Learn new skills and techniques to enhance your garment making abilities
- Come away feeling confident approaching pattern making, pattern cutting, and garment making using a variety of techniques
- Experiment with specialist equipment
- Learn a range of advanced skills, such as pocket creation
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
This comprehensive clothes making course will guide you to master the fundamental skills that go into making a garment. Across 10 weeks you'll learn the essential skills of pattern making, cutting and garment construction, so you'll be able to customise and create your own clothes with confidence.
You'll learn how to take measurements efficiently and accurately and apply them correctly to develop your own pattern using personal and direct body measurements.
You'll be introduced to the basic techniques of draping a neckline, a pattern cutting method employed frequently by designers that involves draping fabric onto a body form on a stand.
Throughout the course you'll study how to use specialist equipment, become familiar with pattern terminology, and learn the correct written and drawn information that’s applied to finished patterns.
You'll learn how to tackle more advanced elements such as pockets and garment openings, as well as grain lines, notches, and selvedge when laying out pattern pieces.
Using block pattern manipulation techniques, pivoting of darts, and development of drafts, you’ll go on to learn and put into practice various seams and explore a variety of different fabrics.
- The basic and fundamental skills to create a garment, including measuring, pattern making, cutting, and garment construction
- Using body forms to master draping a neckline
- Practice of using specialist equipment needed in the garment making process
- Tackling more advanced techniques to handle more complex elements such as pockets and garment openings
- Comprehensive understanding of manipulation techniques to tailor fit a garment, including darts and a variety of seams
- Possess improved sewing and garment construction skills
- Understand fundamental principles of measuring, pattern making, cutting, and garment construction
- Possess the skills and techniques to create your own custom patterns and garments, including technical aspects such as pockets and garment openings
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a range of beautiful pieces designed and created by you
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your fashion skills further; explore our full range of Fashion, Textiles and Accessories short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutors
Technician Demonstrator Gill Kelly has had a varied career in fashion over many years working for different companies in pattern cutting...
Specialising in digital pattern cutting and virtual prototyping within menswear, Kristian has been working on the BA (Hons) Fashion...
Customised Pattern Cutting and Fitting classes in action
This course takes place in AUB's industry-standard fashion facilities, where you'll have access to all the equipment and tools needed to construct your garments, including sewing machines and mannequins. You'll develop techniques to construct garments and explore how to manipulate clothing to achieve that perfect fit.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you