You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
This course runs throughout the autumn, spring, and summer, with breaks for the Christmas holidays.
Thursday 5 October – 7 December 2023, including Saturday 2 December 2023
Thursday 18 January – 21 March, including Saturday 23 March 2024
Thursday 28 March – 30 May, including Saturday 11 May 2024
Please note, it’s not possible to enrol part-way through this 30-week course.
How long is the course?
30 weeks, made up of 30 Thursdays and 3 Saturdays
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring artists aged 18+.
Perfect if you have a passion to learn and develop your art and design skills, either as a hobby, to prepare you for future academic study, or for career development/redirection.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
No previous knowledge or experience is required, just plenty of enthusiasm to learn.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes! You can pay for this course in instalments, starting with a deposit of £449.
To pay by instalments, give us a call on 01202 363222 and we’ll handle your booking over the phone.
Please note, you cannot pay via instalments if you book online. You must phone us to set this up.
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources.
Are there any additional costs?
No, all course materials and resources are included in your course fee.
What should you bring to class?
- A notebook and pens/pencils for notes
Why should you choose this course?
- Improve your artistic and design abilities
- Gain a level 2 qualification that’ll open the door for future career or academic progression
- Come away with enhanced confidence in your own abilities
- Develop an understanding of the formal elements relating to a chosen art and design discipline
- Develop and broaden your practical and technical skills, encouraging creative potential
- Enhance your knowledge of a wide range of art and design practices
- Develop your understanding of different influences and styles and media
- Discover the ability to apply media appropriate to your intentions
- Develop your understanding of different mediums and associated tools and how to use them effectively and safely
- Recognise and apply visual language and formal elements within production techniques
- Develop your ability to work to a set brief and develop suitable ideas in response
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas and develop your creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This 30-week Skills Education Group level 2 accredited qualification will equip you with the necessary tools and overall principles to develop your personal creativity in art, design, and crafts. Suitable for beginners and intermediate artists, you'll not just develop your creative skills and knowledge but also your confidence in developing your interests and ideas in an artistic way.
Having a level 2 qualification gives you the opportunity to prepare for progression into employment or further learning.
Through a series of practical workshops, project-based sessions, and demonstrations you'll understand how to plan and produce a range of art and design projects.
Expertly led by your specialist tutor, Abi Kremer, you'll develop your investigative skills and research techniques to give your creative projects a thorough and informative underpinning. You'll be guided to apply research techniques into contemporary, historical, and cultural contexts and record your activities.
You'll have the chance to experiment and hone your skills in a wide range of art and design media, including paint, pencil, charcoal, pastel, ink, and chalk amongst others. Likewise, you'll investigate a selection of different mediums, such as printmaking, and sculpture. In doing so you'll learn how to effectively use each media and medium whilst developing your techniques.
After you've completed a series of experimentation sessions, you'll be expected to choose specific areas of art and design mediums to specialise in. You'll develop an understanding of both the visual and formal elements relating to your chosen art and design discipline.
- Techniques of developing a creative process
- Exploration of a wide range of different art and design mediums, media, and styles
- Appropriate and effective use of art and design tools
- Variety of research strategies
- How to turn ideas into creative and sophisticated concepts
- 2D and 3D visual communication
- Individual project-based assignments
- Professional presentation skills
- Possess improved artistic skills
- Have a strong portfolio of work showcasing your skills developed throughout the course
- Be able to demonstrate a wide range of techniques using a variety of mediums, media and styles
- Have an understanding of creating in both 2D and 3D
- Be able to turn ideas into creative and sophisticated concepts
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: email@example.com or call 01202 363222.
Once you complete this 30-week course and meet the necessary assessment criteria you’ll be awarded an accredited level 2 Skills Education Group (SEG) qualification and will receive a certificate to confirm this achievement.
After this course, you could:
- Consider pursuing further creative academic study; take a look at our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- Consider a change in career
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.