You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical 30-week level 2 course begins in the autumn term and runs throughout spring and summer. Please see the specific term dates below.
Duration and times
30 Thursdays 18.00–21.00
3 Saturdays 9.00–16.00 (1 per term)
Thursday 6 October – Thursday 8 December 2022
Saturday 26 November 2022
Thursday 19 January – Thursday 23 March 2023
Saturday 11 March 2023
Thursday 30 March – Thursday 1 June 2023
Saturday 20 May 2023
Through a series of practical workshops, project-based sessions, and demonstrations you'll understand how to plan and produce a range of art and design projects.
Expertly led by your specialist tutor, Abi Kremer, you'll develop your investigative skills and research techniques to give your creative projects a thorough and informative underpinning. You'll be guided to apply research techniques into contemporary, historical, and cultural contexts and record your activities.
You'll have the chance to experiment and hone your skills in a wide range of art and design media, including paint, pencil, charcoal, pastel, ink, and chalk amongst others. Likewise, you'll investigate a selection of different mediums, such as printmaking, and sculpture. In doing so you'll learn how to effectively use each media and medium whilst developing your techniques.
After you've completed a series of experimentation sessions, you'll be expected to choose specific areas of art and design mediums to specialise in. You'll develop an understanding of both the visual and formal elements relating to your chosen art and design discipline.
This course is also ideal for anyone seeking to prepare for progression to Further Education studies.
- Techniques of developing a creative process
- Exploration of a wide range of different art and design mediums, media, and styles
- Appropriate and effective use of art and design tools
- Variety of research strategies
- How to turn ideas into creative and sophisticated concepts
- 2D & 3D visual communication
- Individual project-based assignments
- Professional presentation skills
The course aims to:
- Develop an understanding of the formal elements relating to a chosen art and design discipline
- Develop and broaden practical and technical skills, encouraging creative potential
- Enhance your knowledge of a wide range of art and design practices
- Develop your understanding of different influences and styles and media
- Encourage you to investigate information and develop research techniques
- Give you the ability to apply media appropriate to your intentions
- Develop your understanding of different mediums and associated tools and how to use them effectively and safely
- Recognise and apply visual language and formal elements within production techniques
- Develop your ability to work to a set brief and develop suitable ideas and bodies of work in response
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas and develop your visual voice
- Provide expert support and enable you to increase your confidence through feedback in discussions with the tutor and the group
- Provide you with the essential skills to move into the professional arena or apply for FE/HE enhanced studies
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
Students who complete this 30-week programme and meet the necessary ongoing assessment criteria shall be awarded an accredited ‘Level 2’ Skills Education Group certificate.
Students must be a minimum of 18 years old. No previous art and design experience is needed. All we ask is that you come with plenty of enthusiasm and a desire to learn and further your art, design, and creative skills.
All course materials are included in the course fee.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.