You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
Welcome to BA (Hons) Visual Communication
This welcome pack is designed to give you an idea of what to expect during the first weeks of your course. Please take the time to read it carefully and take particular note of the pre-course preparation. We hope that you'll enjoy a happy and productive time with us, and we look forward to meeting you in October.
A message from your Course Leader
I hope that you're having an enjoyable and relaxing summer. The course team are very much looking forward to welcoming you onto the course.
The course will commence with a Welcome Week, and during this time you'll meet your fellow students and staff and be shown around the University’s facilities.
The Welcome Week will also introduce you to the aims and objectives of the course and the concepts of Visual Communication.
We look forward to meeting you all!
- Sally Hope, Course Leader
Before you join us
If you're joining us in the first year, you'll be required to complete a summer project before the course begins. The aim of this project is to explore the creative potential of Visual Communication. It'll provide you with the opportunity to present yourself to the rest of the group. It will also allow you to explore the meanings, messages and information that are communicated using either type or image or both.
MeMeMe (Summer Project):
You're required to design a presentation called MeMeMe. You will be expected to present for three minutes to explain:
- Why you have chosen to study BA (Hons) Visual Communication
- What you hope to gain from the course
- Something interesting about yourself
- Which designers/illustrators inspire you (please don’t choose Neville Brody or David Carson).
This must be a designed presentation either on paper or digital or both.
How to submit your summer project
Bring your Summer Project with you during Welcome Week.
The Library here at AUB is extremely well resourced and includes all key texts that you'll need. The list below indicates the key texts that will be useful throughout your studies. All of these are available from the Library at AUB. You might want to borrow a copy from your local library to look at before you arrive. You'll receive a comprehensive reading list in your Course Handbook and at the start of each unit.
- Crow, D. (2003). Visible Signs: An Introduction to Semiotics. AVA Publishing.
- Fletcher, A. (2001). The Art of Looking Sideways. London: Phaidon.
- Noble, I., & Bestley, R. (2005). Visual Research: An Introduction to Research Methodologies in Graphic Design. AVA Publishing
- Creative Review
- Design Week
- It’s Nice That
- Creative Review
- Design Taxi
- People of Print
- Creative Boom
Current student work
Have a look through some of the work our current students are producing to get an idea of the type of work you may be making on our course.
What to bring on your first day
All you'll need on your first day is a notepad, pens or pencils and a smile. Throughout the course you may also need the following listed below:
Essential Course Materials:
- Notepad and pens
- Memory stick (for backing up your digital work)
- Drawing equipment
- Steel ruler 30 cm
- Swann Morton Scalpel handle size 3 and 10a blades
- Propelling pencil
- Double-sided tape
- Masking tape
- Layout pad A3
- Plastic ruler 30 cm
- Plastic set square 30 cm
- A3 Presentation portfolio
- Digital camera
- A4 Folders to keep course handouts and various other documents