Skip to main content Go to Site Map
A lecturer leads a small group of students past a row of trees on AUB campus.

Study Abroad and Exchange

Incoming Opportunities

AUB offers students the opportunity to explore their creative practice while broadening their horizons.

Incoming Opportunities

Would you like to learn and live in the UK for a short time during your studies? If you're doing a creative degree in your home country, you can come here for part of your course and enjoy the benefits AUB has to offer.

You'll not only learn from our expert academics and use state-of-the-art facilities, but you'll also improve your language skills, learn about UK culture, and get amazing life experiences as well.

If you're an overseas student and coming to AUB as a study abroad student, you can study with us for a term or a full year. If you are coming as an exchange student from an AUB partner institution, you can study with us for a term.

  • Exchange students come from our partner universities and do not pay tuition fees.
  • Study Abroad students can come from our partner universities and pay tuition fees.


We would love you to spend a term with us.

All incoming exchange students must apply through their universities, which must be an exchange partner of AUB. Once we receive the nominations from your institution, we will get in touch and let you know how to apply directly to AUB.

Please note, the nomination and application deadlines for 2023 and 2024 will be confirmed soon.

Below is a list of our partner institutions. Check if your home institution is there and if so, we look forward to receiving your submission. Please speak with your home exchange co-ordinator to arrange this.

List of partner institutions

About Study Abroad

Our Study Abroad courses are suitable for international students and professionals who wish to develop new skills or continue their creative practice discipline abroad.

English may not be your first language, but we can help with that.

We have a team of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) tutors who can help you develop your academic language and study skills. EAP support is available to all study abroad students.

On successful completion, students are awarded a ‘Certificate of Attendance’ and a ‘Transcript of Marks’

Minimum English Language Requirements

Portfolio Preparation

IELTS or equivalent 4.5

Undergraduate Study Abroad

IELTS or equivalent 5.0

Preparation for Master's

IELTS or equivalent 5.5

Study Abroad Courses

International students and professionals who would like to develop their skills to produce work for a portfolio or interview at university may join our Study Abroad Portfolio Preparation Art, Design and Media course.

International students currently studying at degree level at their home institutions have the opportunity to join our Study Abroad Undergraduate courses and can gain credits toward their university degree.

Students are fully integrated with our BA (Hons) students.

International students and professionals who need to develop their creative understanding of their chosen subject or increase their English language scores before being accepted onto a Master's course can join the Study Abroad Preparation for Master's programme designed to help students secure entry onto a Master's course.

Course Duration

Autumn Term

  • 1 term from September to December
  • 2 terms from September to March
  • 3 terms from September to May

Spring Term

  • 1 term from January to March
  • 2 terms from January to May

Programme Contains

  • Taught sessions and practical skill development
  • Guidance and study skills
  • English teaching and support
  • Independent study

Entry Requirements

  • Your portfolio
  • A personal statement
  • Letter of recommendation
  • Confirmation of IELTS score or equivalent

Start Dates

There are two start dates available, September and January.

English language support and/or Intensive English course will incur an additional fee depending on the duration of the study.


To apply for any of our Study Abroad courses, students can contact Study Abroad Office on +44 1202 363824 or email


We can accept the English language components of selected European qualifications - to see a find a complete list visit our Visa page.

English Language - If English is not your first language, a qualification is required as evidence that you have the necessary level of English language to succeed in your chosen course. We can accept the following qualifications:

  • IELTS: 6.0 or above (with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component)
  • Pearson PTE Academic: 54 or above (with a minimum of 51 in each individual component)
  • TOEFL 72 or above (with at least 17 in Listening, 18 in Reading, 20 in Speaking and 17 in Writing)
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency - pass at grade C or above
  • Cambridge English: Advanced - pass at grade C or above
  • International Baccalaureate Higher Level English language at grade 4 or above

Please note that your English language qualification must not be more than two years old at the beginning of your exchange period. We expect you to submit your English language qualification with your application by the deadline given.

Study periods usually last one term (three to five months) Undergraduate visiting students join the first or second year of our undergraduate courses for one term (either Autumn or Spring).

It is not possible to do third-year units or combine courses and you can only choose units from one course.

For Exchange students, your home university must send your nomination form by email to with the following supporting documents:

  • Exchange Application Form
  • A portfolio of your current work (by email or a web link to your portfolio if possible)
  • Letter of recommendation from your home institution
  • Most recent academic transcript
  • Evidence of English language level (if applicable)
  • Copy of your passport

For Study Abroad students, please apply here. You will then be sent a confirmation email with further instructions.

For all incoming students, you may be asked to submit a digital portfolio of work as part of your application. You should provide your portfolio electronically.

To study at AUB in the Spring term (starting in January 2024): 31 October 2023

To study at AUB in the Autumn term (starting in September 2024): 30 April 2024

Please note: the start and end date of your exchange may vary from course to course - exact start and end dates will be confirmed in your offer email if your application is successful.

For exchange students

You are not expected to pay tuition fees to AUB. As part of the agreement between the two institutions, it is normal for exchange students to pay fees to their home institution and not their host institution.

You will, however, be required to pay for your living expenses (e.g. accommodation, travel costs, etc.)

For fee-paying Study Abroad students

In addition to paying for your living expenses, e.g accommodation, travel costs, etc., you will need to pay tuition fees as follows.

  • If you are a national from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will need a short-term study visa for your exchange, and you should apply for this before you leave your home country.
  • The visa pages on the GOV.UK website can help you determine whether you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK, and we will provide more detailed information about the rules and requirements for student visitor visas if we offer you an exchange place.
  • Please contact us at if you have any questions.

Explore more

A townscape with several three-storey buildings and a street running in between them. The roofs of several other buildings are visible in the background.


Study Abroad courses are for students and professionals who wish to spend time learning in the UK with our students for one or more terms

Colourful blocks of different shapes arranged to resemble people.

Preparation For Master's

This course helps you develop your creative understanding or increase your English language skills before apply for a MA course.

Students sitting in a lecture theatre writing in notepads and on tablets.

Outgoing Opportunities

Exchange programmes offer the opportunity for current AUB students to study part of their degree with one of our partner universities.