Skip to main content Go to Site Map

Updated: Thursday 26 November 2020

Following Government guidance on Tuesday 10 November, AUB will be working with partners including our neighbouring universities and Public Health Dorset, to ensure a coordinated and safe approach for students leaving their term time addresses over the Christmas period.

We will now be offering a rapid testing facility for students wishing to test themselves before travelling in the UK over the Christmas period. This service will run from 1-9 December, and bookable on MyAUB via eVision. These tests are voluntary and free, and results are available via NHS Test and Trace within 24 hours.

If you have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 90 days, you should not take the test.

If you are experiencing symptoms, you must use the NHS Test and Trace system that is already in place. You must not attend the AUB Testing Facility. This testing is for students without Covid-19 symptoms who are looking to travel within the UK only. If you are travelling internationally, you will need to follow the advice of your country of departure, country of arrival and transport provider.

On Thursday 26 November, it was confirmed that Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole and Dorset areas will be subject to Tier 2 restrictions from 3 December. The Government will continue to monitor and review all tiers, with a first initial review on 16 December. You can read more about tier restrictions here.

AUB’s on-campus teaching will cease on Wednesday 9 December, and all teaching and learning will be delivered across online environments until the end of term on Friday 18 December.

  • National restrictions remain in place until 2 December, and students are requested to remain at term-time addresses until at least this date.
  • A ‘student travel window’ will be in effect from 3-9 December, during which, students should look to travel, if they wish to do so.
  • Course Leaders will be adjusting courses to move the last week of their teaching online, in line with Government advice, with a phased end to term for all undergraduate and PrepHE courses.
  • AUB’s No Disadvantage Plan will continue to ensure that student studies, assessments and results are not impacted.
  • AUB Student Halls will remain open throughout the Christmas Period, and international and domestic students who prefer to remain in the local area for the Christmas break do not need to make additional travel or testing arrangements.

We continue to wait for Government guidance relating to a return to campus-based teaching and learning in 2021, and will update you as soon as we have more information.

In line with Government guidance, our university is open and continues to offer face-to-face teaching where possible while adopting a blended learning approach for lectures and seminars, which will now take place across virtual environments. Physical distancing remains in place across our campus, as well as face covering requirements for indoor areas, unless medically exempt, and you must continue to follow AUB direction and signage at all times while on the university campus.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer on-campus tours or events at this time.

Health and wellbeing

If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, do not visit the university campus. You should request a COVID test, isolate for the required period, and report your absence to

Our Student Services Team are on hand to offer support, guidance and a range of services to assist you in studies and with any health and wellbeing queries. The team also offer a food provisions service for those self-isolating. Contact AUB Student Services on or call 01202 363780.


All catering outlets at the university will now be operating ‘takeaway’ only, so users will be able to purchase a range of hot and cold food and beverages to be consumed elsewhere during this time. Our marquee and shared spaces will remain open too.


The hire of Beryl bikes, both on site and across the conurbation remains in place, and the UNIBUS services will continue to operate the current timetable. Bus passengers should follow UNIBUS guidance.

While awaiting bus services from the Talbot Campus bus hub, and other bus stops, passengers are asked to respect others at all times, and remain safe by keeping distancing where possible, preparing for travel by wearing face coverings while waiting, giving priority boarding to people with accessibility needs, and following Bus Company staff instructions.

We've seen a small number of cases within our university community, both in private residences and in university accommodation. Our community consists of 3,800 students and around 800 members of full-time, part-time and visiting staff.

Figures in the table below are compiled from students who either report their positive test to or identify themselves as AUB students and report to Public Health Dorset, and are updated weekly every Friday. This number may include staff and students across a variety of locations, including those not attending or visiting the university campus.

Public Health Dorset, our local health authority, has been consistently providing localised updates regarding the number of new cases within the BCP conurbation area, including COVID-19 figures provided by AUB, and we continue to be informed with their latest guidance.

We've also been working with a number of local and regional partners, including BCP Council and Public Health England, as well as neighbouring universities Bournemouth University and AECC University College.

7-day cumulative total (confirmed positive COVID-19 cases)

AUB Student AUB Staff



The university isn't currently experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak (designated by Public Health England (PHE) as several connected positive cases of COVID-19) and AUB cases have not been seen in specific areas, levels of study or cohorts.

COVID-19 reporting and Government guidance

Students will be made aware of AUB's which sets out our expectations for both new and current students at the university. We would like to remind all students that failure to follow the appropriate COVID-19 Government guidance, both on and off of campus, could result in students being investigated under the Student Disciplinary Policy. Guidance is in place to keep all members of our community safe, and must be followed at all times.

From Monday 28 September, the Government will be introducing a number of penalties for those that do not follow guidance for self-isolation, including fines of up to £10,000. Mass gatherings are currently not permitted, and a new 'rule of six' has become part of law and guidance in England.

AUB is able to investigate further any matter that is subject to police investigation and issue penalties as a result, including suspension of and complete exclusion from studies at AUB.

If you are unsure, or would like to raise a concern or enquiry regarding AUB's COVID-19 guidelines, please email and a member of our team will come back to you.

Date stamp 18/11/2020

Wednesday 18 November 2020

Update from AUB Chief Operating Officer Nick Welch

Blue background with the date '11/11/2020' in white

Wednesday 11 November 2020

Update from AUB Chief Operating Officer Nick Welch

blue square with date: 03.11.2020

Tuesday 3 November 2020

Update from Vice Chancellor, Professor Paul Gough

Friday 2 October 2020

Update from AUB Chief Operating Officer Nick Welch

Frequently Asked Questions

Our Campus and courses

Once a national lockdown ends on 3 December, Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole and Dorset areas will fall into tier 2 restrictions. This means that there are still restrictions in place, but certain restrictions, such as essential travel only, will end. You should pay particular attention to guidance around migration between differently tiered regions, as you will need to follow the restrictions set for the tier area you live in if travelling to a lower tier area.

This means that if you are travelling out of Bournemouth to a lower tier area (tier 1), you will still be required to follow guidance for tier 2. If you travel from Bournemouth to a tier 3 area, you will need to follow tier 3 advice. Travel for educational purposes is permitted across all tiers, so returning to university for study is covered under this exemption.

On 9 December, AUB will move all teaching to online environments, in line with Government advice. This is in order to support the safe movement of students from term time to alternative residences over the Christmas period. You are entirely welcome to stay in the area, and if you wish to do so, you are not required to take an additional Covid-19 testing or make any additional arrangements.

If you are looking to leave the area to head to alternative accommodation, you should consider using the rapid testing facility AUB has set up with neighbouring Bournemouth University (BU). This testing is free, simple, and returns a result within 24 hours via NHS Test and Trace. This testing is for students that are not experiencing Covid-19 symptoms. Those with Covid-19 symptoms should book Covid testing via NHS Test and Trace.

You should not attend the AUB/BU Testing Facility if you have Covid-19 symptoms.

If you would like to read more about our rapid testing capability, visit, or book a test via eVision on MyAUB.

We’ve continually been following UK Government guidance to make our campus as safe as possible. As well as conducting a comprehensive risk assessment, we have plans in place to respond to COVID-19 incidents and local outbreaks.

When arriving, you’ll be made aware of our 2m physical distancing across campus. For activities and spaces which won’t allow for this, additional measures will be in place to support reduced distancing safely, such as the use of protective screens and ‘keep left' and one-way routes in designated areas.

You’ll spot our clear signage across all campus areas, and you’ll also find hygiene stations throughout. We’ve reviewed our campus cleaning regime too in order to ensure that areas are cleaned to the required standards.

The university's COVID-19 response is led by AUB Chief Operating Officer Nick Welch, with input from all departments across the university, including our Campus Services, Finance, Admissions, Marketing, International and Registry teams.

AUB's approach is fully compliant and developed in line with Government guidance, and we maintain consistent and regular communications with other local organisations including neighbouring universities, Public Health Dorset and the National Institute for Health Protection. We continue to work with Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council (BCP) to develop our operational plans as well as how we can protect the community in which we are based.

Students will be kept informed and updated via our regular Student Information Update correspondence, as well as through Course Leaders, Technicians and administrative staff and updates through the university's online learning environment and intranet.

Further queries can be put to any of our departmental teams using the channels at the bottom of this page.

COVID-19 symptoms are described as:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

If you, or a member of your household has any of these symptoms, you must notify the university via our COVID-19 reporting address at, and you should take an NHS COVID-19 test as soon as possible.

Both you and members of your household must isolate until you receive a result. These tests are free, and you should receive a result within 48-72 hours. You must not attend public places or the university while awaiting a result.

If you test positive, don't worry, the university will support you via our Student Services team, available by email at or phone on 01202 363780. This result means that you and all members of your household or support bubble must self-isolate to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You should order food and supplies online, should not have visitors, and should not leave your accommodation.

If you test negative, you should continue to observe social distancing guidance and wear a face covering in all applicable environments.

More information is available at

Yes, you should wear a face covering, as these will be mandatory in all campus buildings.

Of course, we also appreciate that some people may not be able to wear face coverings, and those affected should be able to move about the campus freely too.

We would ask all those on campus to be respectful of others, while continuing to practice safe physical distancing of 2m. You can also access the UK Government’s guidance on face coverings which includes examples of the types of circumstances where people may not be able to wear one.

Further detail is available in our Campus Safety Points above under Face Coverings.

A ‘contact’ is a person who has been close to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 anytime from 2 days before the person was symptomatic up to 10 days from onset of symptoms (this is when they are infectious to others). For example, a contact can be:

  • people who spend significant time in the same household as a person who has tested positive for COVID-19
  • sexual partners
  • a person who has had face-to-face contact (within one metre), with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, including:
    • being coughed on
    • having a face-to-face conversation within one metre
    • having skin-to-skin physical contact, or
    • contact within one metre for one minute or longer without face-to-face contact
  • a person who has been within 2 metres of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 for more than 15 minutes
  • a person who has travelled in a small vehicle with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or in a large vehicle or plane near someone who has tested positive for COVID-19

As an arts university with a range of specialist facilities and workshops, we recognise that on-campus teaching is an integral part of our innovative approach towards teaching and learning.

We are prioritising on-campus teaching and have put a range of measures in place to ensure that these activities can safely take place at AUB, but some lectures, talks and seminars will take place across our virtual campus in online teaching and learning environments.

Your course team will outline how these sessions will be approached and will be able to answer any specific course or teaching related queries you may have.

As per Government guidance, all universities in England have been directed to move to online only teaching on 9 December to support the safe migration of students from term time to home addresses. AUB's No Disadvantage Plan will continue to be in place to support any studies and/or assessments affected.

While our campus is open and operating as usual, you’ll be expected to attend all periods of teaching, learning and assessment that are programmed for on campus and via blended learning methods where required.

If we have to change the way in which our programmes of study are delivered in the future, due to a second lockdown for example, we will notify you as soon as possible and explain how specific courses will be run. We are fully prepared to implement appropriate contingency plans if necessary, which include measures for all students to continue to study remotely and to be provided with additional time to access our facilities when safe to do so.

Course teams will communicate with all students directly with regards to programmes of study.

We accept that some students may not be able to join us at the start of the year, either for medical reasons related to COVID-19, or due to travel restrictions to the UK. If you think attending AUB from the official start of your course won’t be possible, please contact your Course Leader or the Admissions Office (especially for new arrivals) to discuss the detail of how this would work for you. The option of accessing the course remotely is offered on the basis of need, rather than preference.

Students learning remotely will be supported effectively, but we cannot guarantee that the timing of sessions will be ideal for them. We will wherever possible arrange seminars and tutorials at convenient times, and we will record sessions for asynchronous viewing. There may be some aspects of some courses which genuinely cannot be delivered remotely because they require equipment which is unlikely to be available to a student who is not able to come to campus. Courses will be looking at how essential skills can be acquired without access to specific AUB resources in the first term. Where a technical skill is part of the required learning outcomes of the course, the course team will be considering how this can be demonstrated.

Admissions Office
01202 363228 / 01202 363225

Dining facilities are open on a takeaway basis - students and staff are able to consume food and beverages in marked areas in both AUB's refectory hall and marquee. You will be required to participate in the NHS’s Track and Trace programme and wear face coverings while queuing for food and beverages.

Our campus shop remains closed until further notice. Access to facilities has been altered so that we can maintain physical distancing, with increased cleaning rotations taking place throughout campus spaces.

We have a variety of events planned and scheduled for throughout the Autumn term, to be run physically on our campus as well as online on our virtual campus. All will be fully compliant with UK Government safety guidance and advertised widely, on our website, on social media and around our campus too.

The University is continuing to work with AUBSU to ensure our students have the best experience possible. To see what’s going on at AUB and to find out more on these events, you can head to the AUBSU website. The calendar will be continually updated, including a full events list.

On campus, student-facing areas like our main reception and finance department will be operating as usual, but there will be measures and operating procedures in place in order to keep all students, staff and visitors safe.

We’re asking everyone to be mindful that their presence on campus can have a significant impact in public areas, which can cause crowding or excess capacity where it’s busy. If you don’t need to be on campus, consider how your presence could affect the safety of others.

You can find more information about our planned events at the links below. All information will be routinely updated throughout the year:

AUBSU – Homepage

AUBSU Calendar – What's On (includes all AUB events, in tandem with AUB Student Services)

AUBSU Freshers Week – Homepage

AUBSU Freshers Week – Events List
01202 363345

Our course-specific Welcome Guides are now available to access online. The Preparing For Your Coursesection of each guide includes information on Summer Projects, recommended reading lists as well as information about what equipment you might need for your course. You’ll also find a detailed Nest Steps section too, which outlines additional information on everything you need to know and do leading up to your arrival at AUB and the start of term.

If you need to get in touch with us at AUB for any reason, all relevant contact details can be found in the Welcome Guides. Our key University Points of Contact are also listed at the bottom of this page.

If you have a question that we haven't answered or just need someone to talk to, please see the relevant Points of Contact at the bottom of the page. Our Student Services team remains available to help, support and advise all AUB students.

Enrolment, Fees and Finance

Our tuition fees will remain as advertised for this year.

Due to the pandemic, we’ve had to take appropriate measures to ensure the safety of all our students; your health and wellbeing is our top priority. This has meant that we’ve looked critically at the curriculum and identified those parts which can be delivered successfully online, such as lectures and seminars.

Of course, there are significant parts of our curriculum that can’t be delivered online, and we’ve privileged studio-based teaching and learning which we know to be an essential part of our courses. By implementing a blended learning approach in some areas, we’ve been able to establish additional safe spaces for practical workshops, teaching sessions and assessments, as well as specified studio time, in a physically distanced manner on our campus.

A significant amount of planning has been going into our preparations for the 2020/21 academic year, and we’re committed to ensuring that the full course learning outcomes are met, including all vital skills attributed to and required for each course. We also have a substantial range of e-resources available (for instance through the Library), as well as full access to relevant digital software platforms, and are continuing to provide all student support services.

We recognise that the University has been affected by the current COVID-19 situation, as with many other education institutions and areas of society. However, we’re committed to delivering the curriculum which was promised and to providing all students with the best possible student experience while studying at AUB.

For any queries or concerns regarding tuition fees, please contact our Finance team:

Enrolment for new students starts in September and you’ll be contacted by email with information on what this process involves and what to do. There’s more information on enrolment in your course specific Welcome Guides too. The Next Steps section within each guide explains when enrolment opens for your course and what emails you should expect to receive from us.

For any questions regarding online enrolment, including documentation needed and student finance and loans, you can contact the Student Records team:
01202 363381 / 01202 363717

International students

If you believe the status of your visa application, and therefore your travel arrangements,

will be disrupted by COVID-19 at all, please contact our International Office who will be able to assist you. For more information about visa requirements, please read the information within our Pre-Arrival Guide (see below).

International Office Email:

No. You only need a Tier 4 student visa for your arrival in the UK. You can therefore apply for a Tier 4 student visa before you plan to travel to the UK. Please contact our International Office to make arrangements around your visa and arrival were necessary.

You can find details on the official Home Office Guidance Document and further information on the British Council and UKCISA websites.

International Office
+44 (0) 01202 363233

Student Experience Officer
+44 (0) 1202 363713

In accordance with current UK government guidelines on entering the UK, you may need undergo a period of quarantine for the first 14 days you're in the UK. If this is the case, you should do this where you are residing – in your university halls of residence or private accommodation.

For students who will be required to quarantine on arrival in the UK, and for those who must self-isolate at any point throughout the year, there will be limited supplies of essential items in our university halls accommodation. Students living in private accommodation within the local community will be able to receive the same supply of essential living items if required via our Student Services.

All students in halls who are in quarantine or self-isolating will have the option to order groceries online for delivery. Those who may not have an appropriate bank account set up in order to do this, there will be the option to purchase ASDA supermarket gift cards. These cards are prepaid by AUB and can be used for online shopping at ASDA, one of the UK’s biggest supermarket retailers. The cost will be deducted from your halls deposit.

If you have any questions please contact our Student Advice team on

Our International Student Support Officer is also on hand to assist. They can be contacted on

Even with later course start dates this year, we appreciate a few of you might be further delayed, and we want to reassure you this will not be a problem. You can arrive on campus within four weeks of the start of your course, which gives International Students until the following dates:

  • Undergraduate – 5 November 2020
  • Postgraduate – 15 November 2020
  • Foundation – 8 October 2020

Further to this, if you’re still unable to make the necessary arrangements to start your course on time, we are able to offer you the option to begin your course online, before you travel to AUB, until January 2021.

Students learning remotely will be supported effectively through the use of our successful blended learning approaches and virtual campus. However, we cannot guarantee that the timing of sessions will be ideal for all. We will wherever possible arrange seminars and tutorials at convenient times, and we will record sessions for asynchronous viewing. There may be some aspects of some courses which genuinely cannot be delivered remotely because they require equipment which is unlikely to be available to a student who is not able to come to campus. Where a technical skill is part of the required learning outcomes of the course, the course team will be considering how this can be demonstrated.

If you are a Foundation Diploma student, you have the option of transferring your application to the January 2021 start date of the International Foundation Diploma. You will be able to still start your Undergraduate course at the same time in September 2021, but will have a more intensive and slightly shorter Foundation course. If you are a Postgraduate student, you have the option of transferring your application to the February 2021 start date.

If you think you may be arriving later than our course start date, please contact our Admissions

Office to let them know and they will be able to advise and assist you.

Admissions Office
+44 (0) 1202 363228 / +44 (0) 1202 363225

Further information can be found in our Overseas Pre-Arrival Guides for the start of the 2020/21 Academic Year. These will be distributed to all International Students arriving at AUB this year. A copy can also be found below.

We have an experienced International team who are on hand to advise and support you during your time at AUB. If you have any questions or need more information, please do contact one of our Student Experience Officers, available through the contact details below, who will be happy to help you.

International Office
+44 (0) 01202 363233

Student Experience Officer
+44 (0) 1202 363713

Points of Contact

COVID Contact

COVID-19 email inbox, managed by our Student Services team, is for students to share COVID related concerns or enquiries

Academic Year 20 21 icons schools

Schools and Course Teams

For study-related updates, information and advice, contact your Course Teams via myAUB or email your Course Leader directly.

Academic Year 20 21 icons studentservices

Student Services

Any questions about accommodation, funding, access to student support services or life at AUB

Academic Year 20 21 icons studentrecords

Student Records

Help with online enrolment, including documentation needed, student finance and loans and assessment, retakes and resits

Academic Year 20 21 icons admissions

Admissions Office

Guidance on application processes, entry requirements, clearing, fee assessment and status, welcome guides and arrivals and more

Academic Year 20 21 icons income

Finance Team

Questions regarding payments or refunds, get in touch with our Finance team.

Academic Year 20 21 icons international

International Office

For information about Visas, English Language Support and Arrivals/Orientation for International students

Academic Year 20 21 icons servicedesk

Service Desk

For any queries, concerns or issues setting up AUB student accounts, such as logins and emails and including the myAUB app

Academic Year 20 21 icons AUBSU


Information about Freshers’ Week, events and activities

Academic Year 20 21 icons travel


Key information on travel to the AUB campus and within the local area

Explore more