You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Your young artist can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Autumn term 2023
Saturday 30 September – 18 November 2023
Spring term 2024
Saturday 27 January – 16 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will learn in one of AUB's specialist digital design suites using the latest generation of Apple Macs kitted out with professional software, to simulate working in the creative industries.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for budding digital artists aged 11-14.
This course is ideal if your young artist wishes to explore future creative options and trends, or if they're thinking about future studies that incorporate digital imaging and post-production methods.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of digital creation.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Optional and not essential: any images or photographs (in digital format) that your young artist wishes to use during the course
About this course
This special summer edition of Saturday Art School gives young artists aged 11-14 the chance to broaden their creative horizons by exploring the world of digital creation using Adobe Photoshop.
Photoshop is an image creation, graphic design and photo editing software that's the industry-standard go-to image manipulation programme for professional creatives.
On this course your young artist will learn to master the tools of Photoshop to enable them to experiment and create unique and distinctive digital images.
On this fun, inspiring, and imaginative course, your young artist will be introduced to essential editing skills and techniques using a wide variety of digital Photoshop tools. This'll allow them to edit and create their own individual digital art and also develop their unique visual voice along the way.
Your young artist will learn the fundamental knowledge and skills that are essential for generating digital art through a series of exciting and stimulating projects, designed to both challenge and provide them with every opportunity to showcase their talents.
Through a series of stimulating interlinked talks, demonstrations, and fun hands-on mini-projects, they'll be encouraged to develop ideas, think creatively, and build their very own collection of digital art that demonstrates essential art elements with flair and imagination.
- All the essential Photoshop tools, including fundamental digital-based art skills and processes
- Creating and using layers
- Photomontage and manipulation
- Fascinating filters
- Applying special effects
- Colours and tones
- Automation and printing
- Drawing, sketching and idea development
- Possess improved drawing and artistic techniques
- Understand how Photoshop can be used to bring their ideas to life digitally and possess the skills needed to develop their designs
- Be provided with methods and specialist techniques to advance post-production
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Your young artist will develop a range of new art and design skills and techniques connected to digital drawing and design. They'll master the fundamental skills of using Photoshop to enable them to edit, manipulate and create exciting and unique digital designs. All projects will unleash your young artist's imagination and allow their voice to shine through.