You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Saturday Art School
- Graphic and Digital Design
Graphic and Digital Design
This dynamic course has been specially designed for budding artists aged 12-15 to take their first steps into the world of graphic design.
To book your young artist’s place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Your young artist can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Saturday 30 September – 18 November 2023
Saturday 27 January – 16 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring graphic designers aged 12-15.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of graphic design.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
On this graphic design course, young artists will spark their curiosity and be introduced to the fundamentals of this exciting discipline. They’ll harness their creativity and learn how to apply that to a brief while gaining confidence in creating and sharing their work. They’ll study the full design process, from initial idea to finished piece, and will explore the fundamental principles of graphic design.
Throughout the course your young artists will learn new skills in graphic design, using both digital and traditional equipment and techniques that are vital in the creative industry. This includes working on a range of different projects including posters, logo design, and typography.
During the course your young artist will master the tools, explore, and experiment with the most popular industry-standard graphic design software, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator), to create their designs. They’ll work in our specialist studio spaces that have been home to our award-winning graduates, using tools and equipment that the creative industries rely on.
- Core principles of graphic design
- Design theory
- Research and mood boards
- Full design process, including development of ideas
- Logo design
- Poster design
- Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator
- Possess improved artistic and design skills
- Have developed sound knowledge of graphic and related core principles
- Be able to use a range of different techniques to produce a variety of design projects, including posters and logos
- Possess the skills needed to create graphic designs using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, including being proficient using the software interface and a range of tools
- Be the proud owner of a portfolio of work that they’ve completed throughout the course and showcases the development of their skills
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate the importance of good time management
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity