You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This experimental course for young artists aged 12–15 years old runs on Saturday mornings and is available to study in either our autumn or spring term. Check out the term dates and other course details below.
Saturday 1 October 2022 – 19 November 2022
Duration and times
8 Saturdays 9.30–12.30
Saturday 28 January 2023 – 18 March 2023
Duration and times
8 Saturdays 9.30–12.30
This exciting and hands-on course offers budding young artists and designers the opportunity to develop their natural creative interests within a structured taught programme. They’ll be expertly led by their tutor Julie James, who comes from diverse creative professional background in art and design practice.
Our young artists will experience and explore the potential of their own creativity using a range of methods and materials, from painting & drawing, print making, modelmaking, idea exploration and much, much more.
This course has been designed especially for students who’re seeking to develop independent skills and advance their own creative journey through a range of materials and techniques, some of which may not be covered in their school art classes.
We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm. On this course they’ll be supported to fully explore their creative talent and future potential, with the aim of helping them discover the art and design discipline that they wish to specialise in.
We encourage our young artists to be themselves, and as such we harness a budding artists’ natural style and flair, therefore enabling them to utilise existing creative interests and acquire new skills in the development of their own unique creative visual language.
It goes without saying, too, that we ensure all our young learners are included, respected, and supported every step of the way on their creative journey with us. We offer excellent facilities in an environment which truly fosters and encourages creativity.
- Full taught sessions by experienced professional artists and designers
- Exceptional art and design facilities
- All art and design materials included
- Contemporary art & design projects
- Sustainability and sensitive awareness to materials and environmental impact
- Scope for our young students to explore their own style and artistic contributions
Julie James is an accomplished art and design practitioner in both an academic teaching setting and in a professional capacity. Julie has championed success working with students gaining globally recognised competition awards through the development of contemporary projects fit for modern day use. Julie works with students to ensure projects reflect modern day behaviours and expectations, including aspects of sustainability, environmental consequence and sensitivity to issues and situations which impact upon daily lives.
Julie has also accumulated many years in teaching at AUB and the University of the Arts, Central St Martins, London College of Fashion & Chelsea College of Art & Design. Her research and creative practice have taken her all over the world to culturally diverse contexts which she uses to inform her specialisms in taught subjects. Julie lives and works in Bournemouth and spends her free time developing designs for recycled materials and furniture to name but a few!
- Introduce young artists and designers to materials and process
- Developing confidence through making and discussion
- Introduce young artists to contemporary design
- Support young artists to realise their own creative interests and direction
- Students will be provided opportunities to progress within AUB onto the next course level
- Continual assessment through to completion of the course
- An appreciation and understanding of Art & Design theory and practice, contemporary contexts, and sustainability and the environment
- To provide a fundamental understanding of the benefits of visual interpretation
- Improve skills in art & design practice & confidence building
- Boost confidence and creativity!
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance
Students should be aged between 12-15 years and be prepared to bring lots of energy and enthusiasm!
All course materials are included in the course fee.