You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this unique course young artists aged 12-15 have the chance to develop their 2D fine art skills and progress to create 3D art forms.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Spring term 2025
Saturday 1 February – 22 March 2025
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 12-15.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
Your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm! However, it will be beneficial if they've already completed our Fine Art Saturday Art School course or possess some previous art and design skills that they'd like to develop.
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
- Drinks and snacks for break time and duration of class; please ensure snacks do not contain nuts
- It's strongly advised phones, tablets and other valuables are not brought to class. Any personal possessions are the responsibility of your young artist and AUB will not be liable for any loss or damage
About this course
This extremely practical course gives young artists aged 12-15 the chance to broaden their creative horizons by exploring the world of fine art. They'll learn a range of new, exciting skills to elevate their 2D artistic abilities and progress to creating 3D art forms.
This course is divided into two distinct specialities. Firstly, your young artist will explore 2D art forms, covering a variety of skills such as accurate drawing, how to build tone, depth and the importance of mark making. The second part of the course allows them to progress into 3D art skills where they'll gain an understanding of texture, form, and space.
Your young artist will have the chance to experiment with a range of materials such as charcoal, water and oil-based paint, clay, wire, and much more to allow the exploration of both traditional and contemporary methods.
Sessions will take place across AUB's campus, allowing your young artist to take advantage of a range of specialist facilities and different architectural structures and textures to offer inspiration. This approach means each week will be different and exciting, and will offer your young artist the chance to create fine art in a visually appealing and creative environment.
Plus, your young artist will have the unique opportunity to draw and paint the human figure (dressed model) and face in AUB's award-winning, specialist Drawing Studio. Our drawing studio is the first purpose-built drawing studio to be constructed at an art school for more than a century.
Your young artist will be supported and expertly led by their tutor, Aaron Peever, who takes a less formal approach to teaching and encourages the development of skills with the ethos that art is for everyone, regardless of their ability. Where possible Aaron adapts sessions to meet the needs of his students. This course is about encouraging a supportive, inclusive, and positive creative experience.
At the end of each session there'll be a supportive ‘reflect and share’ of the young artist's work, to discuss what has been practised. This enables our young artists to gain an understanding of critical language in art.
- Develop 2D skills and techniques
- Learn advanced techniques to translate ideas into 3D art forms
- Art terminology and critical thinking
- Fundamental drawing skills
- Fundamental 3D skills, such as understanding space, form and texture
- Life drawing
- Basic colour usage and theory
- Methods of painting
- Explore the work of other artists
- Develop understanding of critical thinking in art
At the end of the course your young artist will:
- Possess improved drawing and artistic techniques and be able to improve and refine their skills
- Have Developed fundamental skills to create in both 2D and 3D
- Possess an understanding of critical thinking in art
- Have discovered new approaches to creating
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- You can request a certificate to confirm your young artist's achievements, providing they have 100% attendance record. To request a certificate please get in touch with us at email@example.com and confirm name of your young artist and the title of course they've completed
Meet your young artist's tutor
Beyond the course
This could just be the start of your young artist's creative journey! After this course, your young artist could further their animation skills with our stage 3 course, continue to harness their creativity and explore alternative Saturday Art School subjects or look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media.
Creative Futures in Art and Design for Further Education
On this practical course, students aged 14-17 will prepare and develop a robust portfolio for future creative arts studies.
Saturday Art School
Our Saturday Art School courses are designed to inspire and enable the creators of tomorrow – take a look at our full list of courses here.
Important information about Saturday Art School courses
Why choose Saturday Art School for your young artist?
At Saturday Art School we encourage your young artists to be themselves; there's no right or wrong way to be creative.
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Saturday Art School booking T&Cs
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before booking your young artist onto our Saturday Art School courses.
How to book
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.