You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Saturday 15 April – 3 June 2023, 09.30-12.30
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 12-15.
Your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm! However, it will be beneficial if they've already completed our Fine Art Saturday Art School course or possess some previous art and design skills that they'd like to develop.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn new 2D and 3D art skills and immerse themselves in the world of fine art.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Portfolio case
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
This special summer edition of Saturday Art School gives young artists aged 12-15 the chance to broaden their creative horizons by exploring the world of fine art. They'll learn a range of new, exciting skills to elevate their 2D artistic abilities and progress to creating 3D art forms.
This course is divided into two distinct specialities. Firstly, your young artists will explore 2D art forms, covering a variety of skills such as accurate drawing, how to build tone, depth and the importance of mark making. The second part of the course allows students to progress into 3D art skills where they'll gain an understanding of texture, form, and space.
Your young artist will have the chance to experiment with a range of materials such as charcoal, water and oil-based paint, clay, wire, and much more to allow the exploration of both traditional and contemporary methods.
Sessions will take place across AUB's campus, allowing your young artist to take advantage of a range of specialist facilities and different architectural structures and textures to offer inspiration. This approach means each week will be different and exciting, and will offer your young artist the chance to create fine art in a visually appealing and creative environment.
Plus, your young artist will have the unique opportunity to draw and paint the human figure (dressed model) and face in AUB's award-winning, specialist Drawing Studio. Our drawing studio is the first purpose-built drawing studio to be constructed at an art school for more than a century.
Your young artist will be supported and expertly led by their tutor, Aaron Peever, who takes a less formal approach to teaching and encourages the development of skills with the ethos that art is for everyone, regardless of their ability. Where possible Aaron adapts sessions to meet the needs of his students. This course is about encouraging a supportive, inclusive, and positive creative experience.
At the end of each session there'll be a supportive ‘reflect and share’ of the young artist's work, to discuss what has been practised. This enables our young artists to gain an understanding of critical language in art.
- Develop 2D skills and techniques in a range of materials, including charcoal, water and oil-based paint, pencil, and more
- Learn advanced techniques to translate ideas into 3D art forms, using materials such as clay and wire
- Fundamental drawing skills, such as accurate drawing, understanding how to build tone, depth, and the importance of mark making
- Fundamental 3D skills, such as understanding space, form and texture
- Life drawing to understand the human form and face
- Basic colour usage and theory
- Explore the work of other artists
- Develop understanding of critical thinking in art
- Possess improved drawing and artistic techniques
- Develop fundamental skills to create in both 2D and 3D
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- You'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, plus use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Meet your tutor
Fine art 2D gallery
Your young artist will develop a range of new art and design skills and techniques to allow them to elevate their artistic capabilities. They'll master fundamental skills needed to create 2D pieces, including drawing skills, such as accurate drawing, understanding how to build tone, depth, and the importance of mark making. They'll also experiment with a range of different materials, including charcoal, water and oil-based paint, pencil, and more. Once they've mastered 2D work, they'll progress to work in 3D.
Fine art 3D gallery
As part of the 3D portion of this course, your young artist will get to grips with the skills and techniques needed to translate ideas into a three-dimensional piece. They'll explore form, shape, and texture, as well as experiment with different physical materials, such as clay and wire. Mastering the fundamental skills of both 2D and 3D art forms mould them into well-rounded fine artists. All projects will unleash your young artist's imagination and allow their voice to shine through.