You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this extended 15-week course you’ll master the art of watercolour painting and develop your confidence to continue painting long after the course has ended.
We’re currently updating our course information and expect to open booking for our 2024/25 courses in April 2024, so please check back then for new course dates. In the meantime, you can sign up to our short course newsletter for updates and to be notified when we’re accepting 2024/25 bookings.
What you need to know
When does it run?
We’re currently updating our course information and expect to open booking for our 2024/25 courses in April 2024, so please check back then for new course dates.
How long is the course?
15 Thursday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring artists aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their skills.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
Ideally, you’ll have some prior experience drawing or sketching and now want to broaden your skills to work in watercolour.
If you’ve already explored watercolours, you’ll be encouraged to find your style but no previous experience using watercolours is necessary.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' or 'additional costs' section below.
Are there any additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring some art equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
What should you bring to class?
- Set of watercolour brushes
- A4 or A3 drawing board
- Watercolour paper pad (please wait to purchase until you have attended the first session)
- Watercolour paint set (please wait to purchase until you have attended the first session)
Why should you choose this course?
- Improve your artistic abilities
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to paint with watercolours
- Develop strong observational skills
- Learn and develop both basic and advanced watercolour techniques and apply them to your work to become a well-rounded painter
- Experiment and develop ideas discovering new approaches to creating
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This extended 15-week course will be taught in three blocks, each consisting of five weeks, to allow you time to develop your watercolour skills and in turn, your confidence. Across the course you’ll bring together painting techniques, observational drawing, and watercolour theory. By the end of the course, you’ll have explored a variety of watercolour techniques and tapped into your own personal style.
Throughout, you’ll be encouraged to be both personal and expressive in your work. As well as working in the group setting, you’ll also be supported and encouraged by your tutor on an individual basis with feedback and suggestions to support and encourage your progress.
Block one – 5 weeks
The first five weeks of this course will consist of developing solid watercolour foundations, to prepare you for projects later in the course.
You’ll cover and reinforce basic techniques including loading your brush, mark making, and consistency of paint. You’ll also explore how to use different washes and how the paint can be manipulated on different types of paper. Colour theory and colour mixing will also be explored so when you come to undertake your first project at the end of this block you have all the tools you need to get stuck in.
Block two – 5 weeks
The next five weeks will consolidate your skills and guide you to develop different styles of painting. This’ll include loose painting, illustration, experimental and abstract, to name but a few.
You’ll explore a variety of different subjects, including landscape, skies, the natural environment, and urban settings as well as experimental abstract work.
Block three – 5 weeks
The final five weeks of the course will cover more experimental watercolour techniques, allowing you to build on your basic skills to become a well-rounded painter.
You’ll undertake more finessed techniques and subject matter that may include animal portraits, the human figure or expand on subjects that the course has already introduced you to and that you find inspirational. You’ll also explore atmosphere and how the fluidity of watercolour can be used to depict subjects in motion and demonstrate perspective.
- Learn to see and paint the world around you
- Develop skills with watercolour to create lively images through expressive use of line and mark making
- Tone, contrast, textures, colour, and form
- Capturing movement and perspective
- Advanced techniques to approach more complex subject matter
- Experimentation with different painting styles and a variety of subject matter from which you can draw inspiration
- Possess improved artistic skills and confidence to express your unique creative voice through watercolour
- Come away with a strong portfolio of both experimental and finished watercolour work that proudly shows the creative journey you’ve been on
- Be able to demonstrate a wide range of both basic and advanced watercolour techniques
- Have elevated observational skills
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your skills further; explore our full range of Art, Design, Drawing and Painting short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Why choose AUB for your short course?
We're a first-choice provider of art and design short courses for anyone wishing to engage in art and design subjects in their spare time.
Reasons to study a short course
There are plenty of reasons to consider studying a creative short course. Perhaps you want to retrain, learn new skills, or just have fun...
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses booking T&Cs
Please read our Terms and Conditions carefully before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you