Skip to main content
International - Visas and immigration

Here you'll find all you need to know about applying to AUB as an international student.

Do I need a visa?

We're to help you work out whether you need a visa to study at the Arts University Bournemouth.

Whether you require a visa to study in the UK will depend firstly on your nationality, and then on the duration of the course you intend to study.

Non-European Economic Area (EEA) National

You do need a visa or entry clearance to study at the Arts University Bournemouth if you are a national from a country outside the EEA or Switzerland.

The type of visa or entry clearance you will need depends upon how long your course will be.

If your course will be more than 6 months:

You will need a Tier 4 (General) visa if you intend to study a;

  • Preparation for Higher Education Course (Foundation Diploma)
  • Undergraduate Course (BA Degree)
  • Postgraduate Course (MA/MPhil/PHD)
  • A Pre-Sessional English Course leading onto a full-time course listed above.

Tier 4 (General) visa allows most students to work part-time during term-time and undertake an additional supplementary study. Some students can extend or switch to this visa in the UK and you may be able to bring dependants, depending on the level and length of your course.

Find out more and how to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa.

If your course will be less than 6 months:

You may apply for a Short-term study visa if you will be studying

  • A study abroad programme*
  • Summer courses
  • The International Foundation Diploma (IFD)

*if the credits you earn during your study abroad programme will count towards a degree level qualification that you are currently studying at an overseas institution, you may be able to apply for a Tier 4 visa for your studies in the UK.

The Short-term study visa does not allow you to work in the UK (paid or unpaid), bring your dependents (family), extend your visa in the UK or remain in the UK for more than 6 months.

Find out more and how to apply for a Short-term study visa.

European Economic Area (EEA)/Swiss National

Students from within the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland are free to travel to the UK and therefore do not require a visa to study in the UK.

You will need an EEA national/Swiss passport or ID card to enter the UK – More information is available from UKCISA

Current EEA countries:













Czech Republic


















*Switzerland is a non-EEA country, but Swiss nationals are included as they do not require a visa to study in the UK

Dual Nationality

If you are a dual national of a Non-European and European country, we recommend you enter the UK using your EEA national/Swiss passport or ID card.

Once you are in the UK you have the right to work (see EEA/Swiss national above) and travel freely in and out of the UK.

If you are unsure please use the Home Office Visa Checker or contact the International Office.

Explore more


We're here to guide you through the process of becoming an International AUB student from the start and end of your course
Student walking into the Student Services building at AUB

Your Country/Region

Coming to AUB from an international country can be confusing, but our country representatives are here to give you a helping hand
Meeting room within Student Services, features three chairs and a sofa

English Language

We offer a range of English Language support for international students, both in preparation for and during their time at AUB
aub campus

Visas and immigration

If you are coming to study at AUB and need to apply for a student visa, here's everything you need to know
students sit chatting outside the library

Contact us

Please contact the International team if you have any concerns about studying in the UK
Drawing Studio by Sir Peter Cook


We're running course webinar lead course leaders talking about their relevant course, include our foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate