Skip to main content
International - Visas and immigration

Here you'll find all you need to know about applying to AUB as an international student.

Brexit: EU Settlement Scheme

The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020. The EU settlement scheme details the rights EU, EEA and Swiss nationals have to stay in the UK after this date.

UKCISA has published a useful guide, giving more information on the settlement scheme.

What you need to know

The EU Settlement Scheme is divided into two routes; settled and pre-settled status. If you can prove that you have lived in the UK for five years or longer when you apply for the settlement scheme, you will apply for settled status; if successful, you can continue to live in the UK for as long as you want. You can use a National Insurance number, a letter from your university or employer, or a number of different documents as evidence for how long you have lived in the UK.

If you have lived in the UK for fewer than five years, you will apply for pre-settled status, which means that, if successful, you will be allowed to stay in the UK for five years, including the time you have already spent here. When these five years have passed, you can apply for settled status. Your date of arrival in the UK is also significant for your application (see below for further information).

If you do not apply for settled or pre-settled status, you will have no right to live, study or work in the UK. Once your status has been confirmed, there are rules about how long you can be away from the UK before it expires.

Use this tool to find out what to do and when.

You arrived in the UK before Brexit

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, all EU, EEA and Swiss nationals must apply for settlement by a set date, currently the 30th June 2021. The application process is online and is quick and easy to complete once you have gathered your paperwork.

Those who are due to graduate before June 2021 may want to apply under the EU settlement scheme, as this will allow you to return to the UK in the future to continue your studies, live or work.
Should the UK leave the EU without a deal, the deadline to apply for settlement is currently the 31st December 2020 but this could change. The process is the same as if a deal is reached, with an online application and minimal requirement for evidence.

You arrive in the UK after Brexit

Students who arrive in the UK after the date of Brexit are split into groups depending on the deal or no-deal scenario. If there is a deal, all EU, EEA and Swiss students who arrive in the UK after Brexit but before a set date, currently the 31st December 2020 must apply for pre-settled status by the 30th June 2021 (subject to change) to be able to stay in the UK beyond that date. The above also applies to EU students if there is no deal, however, if there is no deal, this does NOT apply to EEA and Swiss nationals.

EEA and Swiss nationals, who arrive in the UK after Brexit in a no-deal scenario, must apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain, which will allow you to stay in the UK for up to 36 months (3 years).

When to apply

The EU Settlement Scheme has completed its test phase and is fully open, so if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you can apply now. You can also apply now if you are a family member of someone from the EU, and you have residence care with a biometric chip and ‘EU right to reside’ on the back.

EEA and Swiss citizens who arrive after Brexit must apply for per-settled status or European Temporary Leave to Remain in the first three months of being in the UK (see ‘You arrive in the UK after Brexit’ for details).

How to apply

The application process is fully online. The easiest way to complete stage 1 of the application is to use an iOS or Android device to download the EU Exit: ID Document Check app and use this to scan your passport and take a photograph of yourself. If you do not have access to such a device, you can either send your documents by post or visit a centre that offers ID document scanning. The closest one to Bournemouth is in Southampton.

Stage 2 of the application process can be completed on any device.

This video walks you through the application process step-by-step. Please note: if you applied in the test phase, you will have paid £65. If you have not had this amount refunded to you already, it will be shortly, as the government has confirmed that applications are free.


The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU, EEA and Swiss citizens to continue to live in the UK after Brexit. There are two options; settled and pre-settled status, depending on how long you have lived in the UK.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you need to apply for settled or pre-settled status to continue to live, study or work in the UK.

This tool will help you work out when you should apply.

Yes, if your course finishes after the 31 December 2020 you must apply. If your course finishes before this date, you may still want to apply if you think you will want to study further in the UK or work here in the future.

No, they do not as they are protected under the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area arrangements. This means that Irish citizens do not need to apply under the scheme. Nonetheless, Irish citizens can make an application under the scheme, should they wish to do so.

Permanent residence documents will not be a valid proof of residence after June 2021 so you will still need to apply for settled status even if you have previously applied for the permanent residence permit. You will not have to prove you have been resident in the UK for 5 years or more if you have a permanent residence document.

If you have been awarded British citizenship, you are not required to apply for settled status.

No, your indefinite leave to remain will continue to be valid after the end of the transition period and there is no need for you to apply for settled status. However, if you do apply for settled status it means you will be able to live outside the UK for periods of up to 5 years without your settled status lapsing (indefinite leave to remain lapses after an absence of 2 years or more).

For information on how to apply please refer to the University’s webpage on the Settlement Scheme. The video linked on the right hand side of the page offers a full walkthrough of the application process.

No, the Government announced in January 2019 that the fee to apply for settled or pre-settled status would be scrapped. If you have applied while the scheme was in its test phase and paid a fee, you would have had this refunded.

The app needed to apply for settlement is available on iOS (iPhone model 7 and above) and Android devices. You can download the app by going to the Apple Store or Google Play store and searching ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’.

Please note, the device you are using needs to be equipped with NFC (near field communication) for the app to work.

Applicants must use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app to verify their identity. You can use someone else’s device to complete this initial step of the application – the rest of the application can then be completed on that device or any smartphone, laptop or computer. If you cannot use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app it is possible to visit a centre that offers ID document scanning. The one closest to Bournemouth is in Southampton.

Yes, you can in most cases, please check here for further information.

Yes, you can send your documents by post.

If you live in the UK for five years or more continuously* you should be eligible for settled status. If you have lived in the UK for less than five years, you should be eligible for pre-settled status, which you can then apply to have changed to settled status once you have hit the 5-year mark. You can read more about settled and pre-settled status here.

* Continuous residence means that for 5 years in a row you have been in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12-month period, except for:

  • one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)
  • compulsory military service of any length

If you have had an absence that has broken your continuous residence you can still apply for pre-settled status and after reaching 5 years of unbroken continuous residence you can then apply for settled status. If you have been resident here for 5 years continuously in the past you could rely on that historic period of residence in a settled status application, provided you have not been absent for a continuous period of 2 years since then.

No, your status will not change automatically. You will need to apply for settled status once you become eligible to do so.

Yes, you will. Based on the current Government proposal EU citizens who come into the UK before midnight on 31 December 2020* will be able to apply for settled or pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme.

If there is no deal then EEA/Swiss nationals who arrive after the date of the EU exit will be treated as visa nationals. However, because it will take months/years for the government to grant pre-/settled status to all the EEA nationals who are resident here before that date, they recognise that it will be impossible to distinguish between EEA nationals already resident here and those who arrive for the first time after Brexit. Therefore, there will be a transitional period until the deadline for submitting settled status applications (which will be 31 December 2020* in the event of no-deal) meaning that pre- and post-Brexit EEA nationals will be treated the same and simply need to show their passport or national ID card.

After the 31st December 2020*, EEA nationals who moved to the UK after Brexit will need immigration permission in another category in order to remain or return to the UK. Those who were here before Brexit should have been granted pre- or settled status by this time.

*Subject to change

No, you do not.

Yes, to cover the period until your settled or pre-settled status is confirmed. You can read more about your rights in the UK as a settled or pre-settled EU/EEA/Swiss citizen here.

The Home Office will use your HMRC or DWP records (if applicable) to confirm how long you have been in the UK. If these records do not match the length of time you have actually lived in the UK, you will need to provide additional evidence of your residence. Photos or scans of documents can be uploaded as evidence of your UK residence. See here for information on the types of evidence that may be acceptable.

You will be granted a digital status; the Home Office will store this electronically. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK. This will enable you to prove your rights to others online, including the university, employers and landlords. Further information will be emailed to you, so it is important that you use an email address you will continue to have access to (NOT your university email).

No, we will tell you when you need to evidence your status.

Yes, it will lapse if you are absent from the UK for five consecutive years. Pre-settled status will lapse after an absence of two consecutive years (similar to restrictions on indefinite leave to remain).

Explore more


We're here to guide you through the process of becoming an International AUB student from the start and end of your course
Student walking into the Student Services building at AUB

Your Country/Region

Coming to AUB from an international country can be confusing, but our country representatives are here to give you a helping hand
Meeting room within Student Services, features three chairs and a sofa

English Language

We offer a range of English Language support for international students, both in preparation for and during their time at AUB
aub campus

Visas and immigration

If you are coming to study at AUB and need to apply for a student visa, here's everything you need to know
students sit chatting outside the library

Contact us

Please contact the International team if you have any concerns about studying in the UK
Drawing Studio by Sir Peter Cook


We're running course webinar lead course leaders talking about their relevant course, include our foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate