You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
In answer to 'fast fashion', this timely course gives young artists aged 12-15 have the chance to explore eco-fashion and sustainable practices.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Saturday 6 April – 25 May 2024
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for fashionistas aged 12-15.
If your young artist has a passion for fashion and all things sustainable, then this course is ideal for them to learn new skills relevant to their areas of interest. Likewise, it's perfect for aspiring designers to explore future fashion trends, and those considering future studies in fashion.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
Your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, however it's beneficial for them to have completed our Fashion Design and Styling Saturday Art School course.
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of sustainable fashion.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
'Fast fashion' is currently a hot topic and the spotlight is on the fashion industry to develop more sustainable practices. This timely and relevant special edition of Saturday Art School gives young artists aged 12-15 the chance to understand and practise eco-fashion design and construction.
On this exciting and highly engaging course your young artist will immerse themselves in the world of sustainable fashion and set their imagination free. They'll explore numerous construction methods and techniques, and experiment with a wide variety of fabrics and materials to transform their ideas into actual repurposed and wearable fashion items. In doing so, they'll develop their unique creative voice.
This course focuses solely on eco-friendly and sustainable fashion where used clothing items and surplus materials are repurposed through the process of deconstruction and redesign to produce innovative, green, fully functional items of stylish clothing.
Your young artist will undertake a series of projects that explore the best working practices and methods in creating sustainable clothing, and how to readapt from today’s throw-away fashion culture, so-called 'fast fashion'.
Throughout the course, your young artist will examine approaches in reconstructing valuable materials and fabrics, explore the design process and experiment with styling methods. This'll include prototyping designs fitted and draped on mannequins to produce a range of distinctive and exciting garments ready for the catwalk.
- Explore eco-fashion and how fashion can evolve to become sustainable
- Introduction to fashion illustration and design methods
- Drawing, sketching and idea development
- Practical techniques to repurpose existing items of clothing, including processes to deconstruct and redesign
- Construction skills and techniques
- Explore styling options to understand how garments can be designed to create full outfits
- Prototyping using mannequins to fit and drape fabric
- Experiment with different types of fabric and embellishments
- An understanding of how the fashion industry is changing and the direction in which the fashion industry is moving
- Possess improved drawing and artistic techniques, including fashion illustration
- Discover new approaches to sustainability in fashion and a deeper understanding of this issue
- Possess necessary skills, techniques, and methods for garment construction
- Have increased confidence in their own skills as a fashion designer and stylist
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Your young artist will develop a range of new skills and techniques to advance their skills as a fashion designer and stylist. They'll be introduced to fashion illustration and learn techniques to produce beautiful designs that can then be translated into functioning garments using a range of fabrics and embellishments. They'll delve into the world of eco-fashion and what it means to be sustainable in the fashion industry, and in doing so will explore techniques to repurpose, deconstruct and redesign existing clothing to create innovative new pieces. All projects will unleash your young artist's imagination and allow their voice to shine through.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you