You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Saturday Art School
- Digital Filmmaking
This practical filmmaking course has been specially designed for budding filmmakers aged 12-15 to allow them to unleash their creativity and learn about filmmaking. Through a series of practical workshops, our young artists will gain hands-on experience in writing, filming and editing their own material.
Please note, new dates for this course will be confirmed in April. If you'd like to be the first to know when this course is available to book, simply click the 'Register Your Interest' button and provide your details.
This fun and extremely practical course offers budding young filmmakers aged 12–15 the opportunity to develop the essential filmmaking skills needed to make short films, from concept to final cut.
Throughout the course students will explore a wide range of filmmaking elements, including storyboarding, story and character development, shooting and editing. To do this our budding filmmakers will use a range of methods to give them a taste of developing a short film from scratch.
Each session, the young filmmakers will be expertly guided by their tutor, Celeste Engel, who brings a wealth of experience in theatre, multi-media storytelling and film.
Students will be working in our university specialist studio spaces that have been home to our award-winning graduates, using tools and equipment that the creative industries rely on and become a part of our creative community.
We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm. On this course they’ll be supported to fully explore their creative talent and future potential as a filmmaker.
We encourage our young artists to be themselves, and as such we harness a budding artists’ natural style and flair, therefore enabling them to utilise existing creative interests and acquire new skills in the development of their own unique creative visual language.
It goes without saying, too, that we ensure all our young learners are included, respected, and supported every step of the way on their creative journey with us.
- Introduction to short film
- Story and character development
- Shot-lists and storyboarding
- Shooting film
Celeste Engel studied Theatre and Drama at Australia’s La Trobe University before embarking on a career in the Melbourne Fringe theatre scene. She completed a Masters in Writing for the Media at Bournemouth University in 2011, has had short films produced, and been involved in the theatre scene in Bournemouth as an actor and director. Celeste has previously taught filmmaking, writing and drama to young people at AIMCommunity and currently has a play in development with Theatre West. Celeste has taught creative filmmaking short courses at the AUB since 2012.
This course aims to:
- Give young filmmakers a taste of all the aspects of filmmaking whilst they work towards producing a short film
- Provide opportunities to make short films from concept to final cut
- Support students to explore different filmmaking roles on set and have access to industry standard equipment
- An appreciation and understanding of the filmmaking process
- An understanding of the importance of preparing for a shoot
- A fundamental understanding of the benefits of working in a group to devise stories and characters from concept stage to final cut
- Improved understanding of the genre of short film
- Boosted confidence through practical workshops and group work.
- Empowered young artists equipped with new skills and experience on their filmmaking journey
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance
Students should be aged between 12-15 years and be prepared to bring lots of energy and enthusiasm!
All course materials are provided.