You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This fun and practical course gives young artists aged 12-15 the chance to develop the skills needed to develop their ideas into the final cut of a film.
To book your young artist’s place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Autumn term 2024
Saturday 28 September – 30 November 2024
Please note, there's no session on 5 October or 2 November due to AUB Open Days.
Spring term 2025
Saturday 1 February – 22 March 2025
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring filmmakers and editors aged 12-15.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
- Drinks and snacks for break time and duration of class; please ensure snacks do not contain nuts
- It's strongly advised phones, tablets and other valuables are not brought to class. Any personal possessions are the responsibility of your young artist and AUB will not be liable for any loss or damage
About this course
This fun and extremely practical course offers budding young filmmakers aged 12-15 the opportunity to develop the essential filmmaking skills needed to make short films, from concept to final cut.
Throughout this course your young artists will explore a wide range of filmmaking elements, including storyboarding, story, and character development, shooting and editing. To do this your budding filmmakers will use a range of methods to give them a taste of developing a short film from scratch.
Each session, your young filmmakers will be expertly guided by their tutor, Celeste Engel, who brings a wealth of experience in theatre, multi-media storytelling and film. Your young artists will be working in our university specialist studio spaces that have been home to our award-winning graduates, using tools and equipment that the creative industries rely on and become a part of our creative community.
- Introduction to short film
- Story and character development
- Shot lists and storyboarding
- Shooting film
- Different roles within shooting films
At the end of the course your young artist will:
- Possess improved artistic skills
- Understand how to use a range of professional filming and editing equipment safely and effectively
- Understand the genre of short film
- Have a fundamental understanding of the benefits of working in a group to devise stories and characters from concept stage to final cut
- Have experienced first-hand the various elements and roles that go into producing a film, including storyboarding and editing, whilst using industry-standard equipment
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- You can request a certificate to confirm your young artist's achievements, providing they have 100% attendance record. To request a certificate please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm name of your young artist and the title of course they've completed
Meet your young artist’s tutor
Beyond the course
This could just be the start of your young artist's creative journey! After this course, your young artist could further their digital skills, continue to harness their creativity and explore alternative Saturday Art School subjects or look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media.
Digital Photography – an Introduction (stage 1)
Our creative digital photography course teaches students aged 11–15 years-old fundamental photography skills in a fun and inspirational way.
Creative Digital Photography and Post-production (stage 2)
In this advanced edition of Saturday Art School, artists aged 11-15 will explore photography and creative post-production editing.
On this exciting course, young artists aged 11-14 have the chance to master digital creation using Photoshop.
Important information about Saturday Art School courses
Why choose Saturday Art School for your young artist?
At Saturday Art School we encourage your young artists to be themselves; there's no right or wrong way to be creative.
Short Courses FAQs – Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Saturday Art School booking T&Cs
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before booking your young artist onto our Saturday Art School courses.
How to book
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.