You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this course, young artists aged 10-12 have the chance to develop digital drawing skills and explore iconic styles such as Disney.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Your young artist can study this course in either the spring or summer term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Saturday 27 January – 16 March 2024
Saturday 6 April – 25 May 2024
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring designers aged 10-12.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of digital drawing.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
This course gives young artists aged 10-12 the chance to broaden their creative horizons by exploring the world of digital art – an increasingly popular discipline within the creative industries. On this course they'll learn how to design and generate compelling digital characters, taking inspiration from iconic animations such as Disney.
As a starting point, your young artist will take inspiration from animated films, and from this, create initial sketch concepts. They'll then be guided to transform their design concepts using Adobe Photoshop and handy digital imaging tablets.
Your young artist will explore what makes a character endearing and engaging, as well as what makes them odious or off-putting. This understanding will feed into character design to make them realistic and credible.
Using Adobe Photoshop to digitise their designs, your young artist will learn about a variety of techniques and tools to aid the creative process, including making selections, use of layers and how to use different digital brushes and pens for different effects.
By the end of the course, your young artist will have created two digitally generated characters to add to their artistic portfolios.
At every turn in their creative journey, your young artist will be expertly guided by their tutor, Milly Martin, who has an arts teaching background and is an experienced children’s book illustrator.
Throughout the course, your young artist will explore a variety of different genres, including Disney princesses, loathsome baddies, and creepy characters.
- Fundamental digital-based art skills, processes and manipulation
- A range of techniques used in digital drawing, including making selections, changing opacity levels, adding, subtracting, and merging layers
- The skills needed to digitise designs in Adobe Photoshop using a digital tablet
- Explore the work of other artists
- Drawing, sketching and idea development
- Basic colour usage and theory
- Examine how the animated film industry creates instant personality in a character
- Explore and understand how style of body, facial attributes (eye shape and head shape), accessories and clothing can contribute to showing personality and context of a character
- Possess improved drawing and artistic techniques
- Understand how Photoshop can be used to bring their characters to life
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Meet your tutor
Digital Character Design gallery
Your young artists will develop a range of new art and design skills and techniques connected to digital drawing and character design. They'll use real-world examples of animated characters as inspiration and explore different iconic styles, including Disney, to create their own fully-formed characters in Adobe Photoshop. Your young artist will explore how clothing, body shape, facial attributes, and accessories can convey the nature of a character. All projects will unleash your young artist's imagination and allow their voice to shine through.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you