You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Digital Photography – Essential Techniqu...
Digital Photography – Essential Techniques (Stage 1)
This introductory photography course explains how your camera works and will teach you all you need to know about how to use it effectively.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. In spring you can study either on Wednesdays or Saturdays. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Autumn term 2023
Wednesday 4 October – 6 December 2023
10 Wednesdays, 18.00-21.00
Spring term 2024 (Wednesdays)
Wednesday 17 January – 20 March 2024, including two Saturday sessions (dates TBC)
6 Wednesdays, 18.00-21.00 and 2 Saturdays, 09.00-16.00
Spring term 2024 (Saturdays)
Saturday 20 January; 3, 17 February; 2, 16 March 2024
5 Saturdays, 09.00-16.00
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring photographers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their photography.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with photography and wish to develop your skills further.
This course is the first in a series of specialist Photography programmes, and is recommended for anyone requiring a sound fundamental knowledge of the subject.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources except your camera.
Are there additional costs?
You'll need to provide your own camera and a tripod is beneficial. This'll incur an additional cost if you need to purchase one for the course. See below.
What should you bring to class?
- A digital camera with access to full manual controls; this should be a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera or a Bridge camera
- A camera tripod is useful, but not essential if you don't have one
- USB or other memory drive; you'll need to upload and backup your photos between classes, so you'll need access to a computer
Why should you choose this course?
- Except your camera, all tools and materials are included in your course fee
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create beautiful photographs bursting with creativity
- Learn a wide range of photography techniques to elevate your images
- Get to grips with your camera's controls
- Hands-on experience using your camera under the guidance of an industry professional
- Embrace your originality and innovation
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This introductory photography course explains how your digital camera works and will teach you all you need to know about using it effectively to help you achieve creative control in your photography.
Through a series of demonstrations and practical projects, you'll grow in confidence as you practise and master the camera controls.
Throughout this course, you'll be expertly led by your tutors who possess many years of experience both teaching at AUB and in the photographic industry, and who'll deliver the course in easy-to-understand stages.
You'll take part in a variety of talks, demonstrations, and practical sessions (several on-location), and be guided through the fundamental principles and practices of photography. You'll develop an understanding of the essential ingredients and components needed to create captivating images and, as the weeks progress, you'll see clear improvements in your photographs as you put your newfound skills into practice.
You'll learn how to take control of your digital camera and appreciate the full creative potential, whilst being introduced to the fascinating world of image capture. You'll explore the work of celebrated photographers and learn how to really ‘see’ as a photographer to create more interesting and engaging, meaningful photographs.
As you go along, you'll develop a fundamental understanding of camera functions including shutter speed, aperture, ISO, lens control, plus image-making components, including composition, framing, subject, and lighting.
- History of photography
- Light and colour
- Camera controls
- Shutter, aperture and ISO control and relationship
- The lens, focal lengths and uses
- Depth of field and field of view
- Metering and histograms
- Photographic peripherals, flash, speedlights and filters
- Colour temperature and white balance
- Digital imaging, sensors, workflow, and file formats
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of your camera's controls and how to use them efficiently and effectively to achieve stunning, creative images
- Fully understand the fundamental skills relating to photography to enable you to set up the perfect shot
- Have hands-on experience shooting on-location
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your photography skills further; explore our full range of Photography short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutors
Andy has undertaken photographic commissions since 1985, working alongside other professionals to broaden his knowledge...
Manager (Short Courses) – Discover Photography – An Introduction (Saturday)
Digital photography gallery
On this course, you'll develop a range of new skills and practical techniques to enable you to take beautiful photographs confidently and effectively. You'll master the fundamental principles of photography and get to grips with your camera controls to adjust the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and lens control. You'll also explore image-making components, including composition, framing, subject, and lighting. All projects will unleash your creativity and allow your voice to shine through.
Digital photography classes in action
The sessions on this course will take place in AUB's dedicated photography studios and editing suites, with the aim of replicating a professional working photography studio. You'll undertake a range of different shoots to practice using your camera and understanding the controls.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.