You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Saturday Art School
- Modelmaking – an Introduction (stage 1)
Modelmaking – an Introduction (stage 1)
This exciting course has been specially designed for young modelmakers and lovers of 3D creations aged 12-15 to take their first steps into the world of modelmaking.
To book your young artist’s place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Saturday 30 September – 18 November 2023
How long is the course?
What time are the classes?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring modelmakers and 3D artists aged 12-15.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about and immerse themselves in the world of 3D creation and modelmaking.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind your young artists getting messy
About this course
On this course your young makers will be expertly led to turn their ideas into designs and their designs into 3D models. They’ll learn the fundamental skills needed to work in 3D and will have the opportunity to experiment with a wide range of materials and gain confidence making and creating unique work. At every turn your young artists will be supported to fully explore their creative talent and future potential as a modelmaker or 3D designer.
Throughout the course, your budding modelmakers will receive valuable and specialist insight into the world of modelmaking, and the many varied opportunities available within it.
Each week your young artists will learn a variety of new skills in modelmaking and 3D design using industry-standard specialist equipment, materials and techniques. They’ll have the opportunity to work with a variety of materials that are used within the film and television industry, architectural modelmaking, theatre productions, and shop window displays.
Your young designers will be expertly guided by their course tutor, Jessica Tipper, through set exercises each week, alongside demonstrations and presentations of prepared examples from sculpting, casting, moulding and much, much more.
- Develop industry level techniques and skills to produce 3D models
- Experiment and explore a wide variety of creative materials
- How to use a range of hand tools safely and appropriately
- Moulding and casting
- Design techniques to turn 2D designs into 3D reality
- Explore CAD and laser cutting
- Possess improved artistic and design skills
- Be able to turn their 2D designs into 3D reality using a range of new skills and techniques specific to the world of modelmaking
- Have a sound understanding of the modelmaking industry
- Be able to use a variety of modelmaking tools safely and efficiently
- Possess the knowledge and skills to work with a range of modelmaking materials
- Be the proud owner of a portfolio of work that they’ve completed throughout the course and showcases the development of their skills
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate the importance of good time management
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Expand their modelmaking skills by taking our advanced Digital Modelmaking and Design (stage 2) course next term
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Meet your young artist’s tutor
Jessica Tipper is an artist and teacher with a wide and varied practice that bridges the gap between digital and traditional art forms.