You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical course is available to study in either our summer or autumn term. Check out the term dates and different course options below.
Monday 17 October – Monday 5 December 2022
plus one Saturday 26 November
Duration and times
10 Mondays 18.00–21.00 and one Saturday 9:00 -16:00
Sarah L Goy
This course offers a hands-on approach to the world of sketching or ‘art on the go’. Ideal for all levels and abilities, it provides a relaxed way to build upon your drawing skills whilst enjoying the environment around you.
Sketching and drawing is fundamental to everything we do and throughout history every great artist and designer has kept a sketch book. A personal visual ‘journal’, it offers a place to experiment, record special moments or work through your ideas for a more advanced project.
During the course you'll explore the fundamentals of drawing and observation, including how to capture spontaneous and honest moments. You'll use a variety of materials and techniques including pencils, pens, charcoal watercolour, looking at genres such as landscape, botanical and the human form. The course includes 2 evenings where you have the opportunity to develop your drawing and sketching skills of the human form, including a portrait focused class, both using a dressed model.
Colour and design knowledge will be explored further through AUB's on-campus nationally recognised museum, MODIP, (Museum of Design in Plastic), The Gallery and Library.
- Experienced guidance from an artist specialising in sketching and water-colour
- Learning to see and sketch the world around you
- Developing skills with pencil, pens, water-colour and charcoal creating lively drawing through expressive use of line and mark making
- Tone, contrast, textures, colour and form
- Capturing movement and basic perspective
- Basic techniques to approach landscape, botanical, animals, objects and people
- Being inspired by techniques used by famous artists and movements
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
The course aims to:
- Enable you to gain confidence in your drawing and observational skills
- Experiment and develop ideas discovering new approaches to creating
- Learn some basic watercolour techniques and apply to sketching
- Learn to use the sketchbook as a visual journal or as research for an art project
- A means to relax through art in any location
- You'll feel confident approaching observation drawing, in a range of medium and techniques
- Group share of sketches done at the end of each session with the intention to support, inspire and encourage each other’s learning
- You'll develop a sketchbook of experimental and finished works in a variety of mediums
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Suitable for creatives aged 18+. This includes most levels, from beginners, to students exploring ideas for exhibitions or HE applications and wanting a bridge to further courses, or those who want to step away from the digital world and build on their skills to create lively sketches and paintings.
- Good quality hard back A4 sketchbook (Pink Pig, Sea Whites or similar)
- Pencils 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B
- Set of black fine line drawing pens (permanent ink)
- Putty, plastic eraser, pencil sharpener
- Water colour paints – Pans (Winsor and Newton Cotman sketching range – set of 12)
- Pro-arte Water colour paint brushes set of 5
- A roll of cheap lining paper
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.