Skip to main content Go to Site Map
Three International students walking across the main courtyard on AUB campus with cameras.

Before you arrive in the UK

Preparing to arrive in the UK

These Orientation pages have been designed to make each step of your journey to joining AUB as smooth as possible. Feel prepared for your arrival in the UK and at AUB by reading through each section, exploring our checklists and taking time to watch the advice videos.

Check the visa requirements and allow yourself plenty of time to prepare your documents and submit your application so that you can arrive at AUB for the start of your course. Visit our visa page for more information on the application process and the documents needed.

If you require a Student Route visa to enter the UK as a student, you'll need to be issued a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for your visa application by AUB. Please request your CAS by completing the CAS Request Form, which you'll find on the AUB website, along with the criteria needed to have your CAS issued. If you have any questions about your CAS or want to return your completed CAS Request form, please email

Please be aware that you'll not be able to study at AUB on a standard visitor visa if you're intending to join a Foundation, Undergraduate or Master's programme. Intensive Foundation Diploma (IFD) students can study on a six-month standard visitor visa.

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also have information on the Student Route Visa.

For any advice on the Student Route visa application, please contact the International Office.

This content can't be displayed, please accept marketing, statistics cookies to view

Accept to view

If you'll be studying at AUB on a Student Route visa and are required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of the application process, you'll be covered for any National Health Service (NHS) medical care you receive while in the UK on your Student Route visa. You'll need to pay for any prescription given to you by a doctor when collected from a pharmacy.

If you're coming to AUB on a Standard Visitor visa to study in the UK, it's likely that you'll need to take out a comprehensive medical insurance policy to cover you for both NHS and private medical care in the UK for the length of the stay, including:

  • Lost fees if you're unable to complete your course.
  • Costs of returning home if a relative is ill.
  • Costs of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill.
  • Cost of returning to your home country for treatment.

Even if you're entitled to free NHS treatment while in the UK, you should consider taking out medical insurance which covers the above additional costs. Moreover, even if you're covered by the NHS for medical treatment, you may find that there are long waiting times for some services. An insurance policy which gives you access to private medical care could give you much quicker access to the treatment you need. Please note if you have private health insurance, you'll still need to be referred by a GP at your local doctor’s surgery before you see a specialist.

If you already have medical insurance in your home country, check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK, as well as look at options available from UK insurers. Endsleigh Insurance has produced a special health insurance policy for International students and their spouses or civil partners and children in the UK. You may also like to look at Cover 4 Insurance which also offers Study Abroad insurance for International students.

For more information about medical care and cover during your studies, we recommend you read UKCISA’s advice on how the UK medical system works and how to make sure you're covered.

In this video, AUB International student Caitlyn Keaney runs through what to pack when travelling to study in the UK.

This content can't be displayed, please accept marketing, statistics cookies to view

Accept to view

There are many ways to get to Bournemouth from some of the major airports, including private taxi, national express coaches or trains.


If you wish to take a private taxi from any airport, we would recommend using Dorset Luxury Cars. You can book a taxi directly on their website and payment can be made by card, or, by cash on arrival. Price is dependent on your pickup point and your final destination.

We advise that you submit your booking request as soon as you book your flight and at least seven days before your date of arrival to make sure there's a taxi available for you. If any details change, such as your flight information, extra passengers and luggage or accommodation address, you must contact Dorset Luxury Cars directly to update your taxi booking as soon as possible, and before you arrive in the UK:


You can get a National Express coach from Heathrow to Bournemouth Travel Interchange costing around £25.00 and taking roughly 2.5-3 hours.

You can get a National Express coach from Gatwick to Bournemouth Travel Interchange costing around £31.00 and taking roughly 2.5 hours

Mega Bus also runs coaches from London Victoria to Bournemouth and cost approx. £11.00 and takes around 2.5-3 hours.

Just as you're not all studying the same course, we know our students like different styles of places to live. There's a range of Halls of Residence, each offering something unique – modern self-contained studio flats to more traditional en-suite rooms in cluster flats in the town centre.

If you're living in AUB accommodation, please complete your induction in order to book your arrival.

Follow @aubcommunitychampions on Instagram to be in touch with all events in AUB halls of residence.

Halls Teams


UniKitOut is a website where you can purchase all the essentials you'll need for your room. Once purchased, your order will be delivered and waiting for you in your room in Halls.

We also have a 10% discount for your purchase, using the code: AUB10.

International students in the UK are a very common target of fraud and scams in the UK. It's worth being aware of common scam and fraud tactics and be prepared to react accordingly.

For guidance on how to enrol at AUB, please refer to your Welcome Guide, which also has further information about any additional instructions for your course, such as reading lists and summer projects.