You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
Check out the course dates and fees for this two-week full-time course below, including our popular residential package.
When does the course run?
Monday 5 August – Friday 16 August 2024
How long is the course?
What time will my classes be?
There'll be a daily lunch break, plus other breaks within the schedule.
Your first day will start at 08.30 and the summer courses team will contact you before you arrive with your full joining instructions, so you know where to go.
Your classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You’ll be taught in our state-of-the-art creative studios and digital suites, with access to AUB’s library and online resources.
Welcome to Bournemouth
Arts University Bournemouth is located on the south coast of the UK.
Be inspired by your surroundings and discover what’s beyond the campus during the summer. We’re situated in a safe coastal location with award-winning beaches, a lively social scene and lots of cultural attractions and events throughout the year. Our small size means we’re a tight-knit community that’s friendly as well as accessible.
Bournemouth is one of the top destinations for tourists, and as a town with three universities and large number of language schools, it attracts a diverse mixture of international students.
The best of England is on our doorstep too – we're just a two-hour train ride from London with other popular location such as Dorset’s Jurassic Coast (World Heritage Site) and the New Forest National Park nearby.
Did you know?
Bournemouth has been once again voted the ‘Best Beach in the UK’ by TripAdvisor!
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring artists aged 15-18 years old.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience and wish to develop your skills further.
Do I need qualifications for this course?
There are no formal academic entry requirements or qualifications needed to study this course.
We only ask that you come with a passion for the creative arts and plenty of enthusiasm!
Do I need an English language qualification?
This course will be taught in English.
There are no formal English language entry requirements and we don't require you hold an English language qualification.
However, we recommend you have an intermediate level of English in order to benefit fully from your experience, and be able to communicate with your tutors and fellow students.
I'm not sure if this course is suitable for me, can I contact you?
If you're unsure if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us and we'll advise you. Either email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 1202 363222.
What's included in my course fee?
There are no hidden fees. All course materials and equipment/resources are included in the course fee.
You can choose to add the following optional extras to your course fee:
- Residential and full-board catering
- Private taxi transfer to/from any London airport
See below the prices of our packages. Choose your package during the booking process.
Can I secure my place with a deposit?
You can secure your place on the course today with just a 25% deposit of your total fee.
Choose this option when you book your place. Refer to the table below for prices.
Course fee only
Course fee, PLUS residential catering
Course fee, PLUS residential catering and airport taxi
When you book this course today, you have the opportunity to experience life as a university student by opting for the residential package, which aims to give our summer students a taste of life as a full-time #AUBMAKER.
If you wish to include accommodation and/or a return airport taxi transfer in your Summer Course booking, simply select the relevant option when you book your place.
Residential and catering package
Residential package includes:
- Full-board catering (breakfast, lunch and evening dinner)
- Single study bedroom with private en-suite bathroom in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus – take a look at our accommodation
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- Live-in AUB summer Student Ambassador Care and Welfare team, giving you support 24/7
- Cultural city excursion
- Comprehensive schedule of evening and weekend social activities
- Optional return airport taxi transfer to/from any London airport
Due to popularity, summer accommodation in AUB’s Halls of Residence is allocated on a first come, firstserved basis. We highly recommend you book your accommodation as soon as possible to guarantee it – simply select the residential option when you book your course place.
Return private taxi airport transfer
We can arrange for a return private airport taxi transfer to/from any London-based airport.
To book an airport transfer select the option when you book your course. We'll then contact you to arrange the details of your transfer nearer the time, once you've booked your flights.
If you have any questions or need to provide us with details of your flights please email us at email@example.com.
Please note, the deadline to book airport transfers through AUB is Sunday 23 June 2024.
About this course
This highly practical summer course is an ideal introduction for those with a strong interest in architecture and for students studying art, design, art history, town planning, architecture, landscape architecture and other subjects related to the built environment.
Centred around the fundamental creative processes of observation, thinking, and making, the course covers the major architectural movements and address issues of style, patronage, and national identity. You'll consider architectural concepts of space, form, function and technology through a mixture of theory, practice and fieldwork. You'll develop your drawing skills, whilst individual and group studio projects will allow you to explore building materials and methods of construction.
Through a series of workshops, lectures and a field trip, you'll explore the fundamental principles of architecture and design including form, geometry, structure, colour, light and function. Learning about both traditional and contemporary analytical skills together with a general overview of architecture design, you'll have access to 3D workshops with manual and digital manufacturing equipment and a specialised library providing a range of relevant material in architecture and the arts.
In addition to traditional drawing skills, you'll explore digital media (including CAD) and photometric analysis of building elevations. There will be opportunities to visit landmarks in British architecture and design to support your studies. Taught by faculty members, industry experts and visiting speakers, the course culminates with the preparation of a professional portfolio.
- Principles of architectural design
- Spatial awareness
- Urban planning
- Course study trip
- Project: ancient vs modern
- Research and sketchbook sessions
- Responding to an architectural brief
- Experimental design and large-scale installations
- Architectural materials, structures and construction
- Digital Drawing
- Laser Cutting and CAD software
- Developing a 3D model
- Practical workshops and themed projects
- Layout and portfolio showcase
- Portfolio reviews
- Develop your working knowledge and understanding of architectural design concepts, techniques, and processes
- Provide extended practical sessions to experiment with architectural processes in a Higher Education setting
- Enable you to produce a varied folio of architectural drawings, designs and models work to demonstrate your skills and knowledge
- Encourage your independent thinking and critical reflection when responding to a brief and investigating architectural design solutions
- Raise your awareness of historical, contextual, and theoretical issues that influence architectural design
- Encourage an understanding of the relationship between theory, history, and practice
- Enhance your understanding of architectural design techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Improve your ability to communicate confidently and to use appropriate presentation skills
- Be the proud owner of a robust portfolio of work that can be used to support your future applications for further creative study
- Be able to demonstrate a wide range of 3D making and architecture techniques utilising appropriate industry equipment
- Possess improved artistic skills
- Be knowledgeable in a range of different artistic processes
- Not be afraid to experiment and adapt your ideas as you go
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
Plus, all students that complete the course with 100% attendance will be issued with an official AUB summer course certificate.
Guidance and support
Throughout the course your tutors will offer guidance and support you with your creative academic applications, as well as provide feedback on your work and offer advice for your future creative studies.
Continue your studies at AUB
Each year, we’re proud to offer many of our summer students places on AUB’s incredible full-time creative courses.
We offer you the chance to attend a series of progression and portfolio talks to give you the chance to find out more about studying at AUB in the future.
During your time with us you can attend a session to talk more about our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design or BA (Hons) undergraduate degree courses, and discuss your personal portfolio with an expert academic.
You may even be eligible for a pre-application interview, to secure your future place at AUB!
Courses that you may be interested in
Architecture in action
Check out our Architecture and 3D Design students in action as well as some of the final pieces created for their portfolios.
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for summer courses
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Booking terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.