You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
Check out the course dates and fees for this 2-week full-time course below, including our popular residential package.
Monday 31 July 2023 – Friday 11 August 2023
- Course fee only: £1,499
- Course fee including residential and half-board catering package: £2,199
Please note, you can secure your place on the course today with just a £695 deposit.
When you book this course today you have the opportunity to experience life as a university student by opting for the residential package, which aims to give our summer students a taste of life as a full-time #AUBMAKER.
Residential package includes:
- Half-board catering (breakfast and lunch)
- Single study bedroom with private en-suite bathroom in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
- Optional taxi transfer from the airport
- Social activities and excursions
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
If you wish to include accommodation and/or a taxi transfer from the airport in your summer course booking, simply select the residential option when you book your place.
About this course
This highly practical summer course is an ideal introduction for those with a strong interest in architecture and for students studying art, design, art history, town planning, architecture, landscape architecture and other subjects related to the built environment.
Centred around the fundamental creative processes of observation, thinking, and making, the course covers the major architectural movements and address issues of style, patronage, and national identity. You'll consider architectural concepts of space, form, function and technology through a mixture of theory, practice and fieldwork. You'll develop your drawing skills, whilst individual and group studio projects will allow you to explore building materials and methods of construction.
Through a series of workshops, lectures and a field trip, you'll explore the fundamental principles of architecture and design including form, geometry, structure, colour, light and function. Learning about both traditional and contemporary analytical skills together with a general overview of architecture design, you'll have access to 3D workshops with manual and digital manufacturing equipment and a specialised library providing a range of relevant material in architecture and the arts.
In addition to traditional drawing skills, you'll explore digital media (including CAD) and photometric analysis of building elevations. There will be opportunities to visit landmarks in British architecture and design to support your studies. Taught by faculty members, industry experts and visiting speakers, the course culminates with the preparation of a professional portfolio.
Course highlights include:
- Principles of architectural design
- Spatial awareness
- Urban planning
- Course study trip
- Project: ancient vs modern
- Research and sketchbook sessions
- Responding to an architectural brief
- Experimental design and large-scale installations
- Architectural materials, structures and construction
- Digital Drawing
- Laser Cutting and CAD software
- Developing a 3D model
- Practical workshops and themed projects
- Layout and portfolio showcase
- Portfolio reviews
- Develop your working knowledge and understanding of architectural design concepts, techniques, and processes
- Provide extended practical sessions to experiment with architectural processes in a Higher Education setting
- Enable you to produce a varied folio of architectural drawings, designs and models work to demonstrate your skills and knowledge
- Encourage your independent thinking and critical reflection when responding to a brief and investigating architectural design solutions
- Raise your awareness of historical, contextual, and theoretical issues that influence architectural design
- Encourage an understanding of the relationship between theory, history, and practice
- Enhance your understanding of architectural design techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Improve your ability to communicate confidently and to use appropriate presentation skills
All course materials and equipment are included in the course fee.
You’ll be taught in our state-of-the-art industry-standard art and design studios and digital suites, with access to AUB’s library and online resources.
Work produced during the course will be collated into a portfolio and/or digital journal for you to add to your portfolio or for future development.
Your course tutors will offer guidance and support you with your creative applications, as well as feedback on your work and offer advice for your future creative studies.
If you complete the course 100% course attendance you'll be issued with an official AUB summer course certificate detailing course contents and study hours.
During your course we'll arrange for you to attend a talk with our friendly team here at AUB where you’ll have all your burning questions about how to progress to study full-time at AUB answered.
Whilst studying your summer course you are guaranteed to receive a pre-application interview and portfolio review for the course(s) of your choice.
Course(s) that you may be interested in include:
Summer courses in action
Check out our Portfolio Preparation for Architecture and 3D Design students in action as well as some of the final pieces created for their portfolios.
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for summer courses
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Booking terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.