You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
Calling all future and current drag Kings, Queens and ‘everything in betweens’! This exciting one-week workshop will immerse you in the world of drag artistry and give you the chance to develop your drag persona.
To book your place today, simply click 'book now' to be taken to AUB's secure online store where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for summer course updates.
What you need to know
When does the course run?
Monday 12 August – Friday 16 August 2024
How long is the course?
What time will my classes be?
There'll be a daily lunch break, plus other breaks within the schedule.
In addition to the course's teaching hours, you'll be able to access our studios in the early evenings to continue working on your pieces at your own pace, if you wish.
Who's this course suitable for?
The minimum age for this course is 18.
We welcome artists of all ages and abilities; it's perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their skills.
Do I need qualifications for this course?
There are no formal academic entry requirements or qualifications needed to study this course.
This course is suitable for those with no previous knowledge or those who are experienced artists.
All we ask is that you bring an open mind, enthusiasm, and a desire to enter the fabulous work of drag!
I'm not sure if this course is suitable for me, can I contact you?
If you're unsure if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us and we'll advise you. Either email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 1202 363222.
You can choose to add our economically priced residential package to your course fee. Choose your package during the booking process.
Residential package includes
- Full-board catering on-site at AUB (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Accommodation in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- En-suite private room in a cluster flat with shared kitchen and lounge
- Rooms are furnished with single bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk and chair
- All bed linen supplied
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
See below the prices of our packages. Choose your package during the booking process.
Course fee only
Course fee PLUS residential
What's included in my course fee?
- Any additional materials not mentioned in the 'what to bring' section below
Please be aware you'll need to bring some materials and equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any materials or equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
You're expected to bring your own make-up and tools, though some resources will be available in addition to this.
- For the first session, please wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Your tutor will advise you when to bring in any costumes you may have
- Wigs, make-up, make-up tools and other styling equipment that you wish to use
- Images for inspiration
- Appropriate clothing where necessary (e.g., dance and daywear)
- Fierce drag energy; there’s no judgement here. No matter your current experience, this is the place for you to explore and create!
About this course
In this new and exciting creative course, you'll immerse yourself in the world of drag artistry. Whether you're just dipping your toe into the drag spotlight or seeking to develop your current skills as a drag performer, this one-week course is the perfect opportunity to learn the tricks of trade and create or enhance your drag persona.
Throughout this course, you’ll build a strong foundation of knowledge and build your skills. You'll explore the history of drag, terminology, trends, self-promoting and securing work, as well as all the essential practical skills including make-up, costume, and drag performance.
With a backstage team including a lead tutor, guest tutors, practicing professionals and guest speakers, you’ll be guided through a range of workshops and demonstrations.
This course aims to empower students who dare to be different, to express themselves confidently through the transformative and revolutionary world of drag, in an immersive, fun, and safe environment.
Unique to the south coast of England, we invite you to collaborate with like-minded individuals from all different backgrounds.
The pinnacle of the week will be the special celebratory showcase, where you'll have the opportunity to combine your newfound skills learned throughout the course and show them off to friends and family.
- Explore the history and evolution of drag of artistry and cabaret including styles and breaking gender norms
- Find or develop your drag persona, including confidence building and promoting yourself as a brand
- Explore the fundamentals of make-up and wigs or facial hair
- How to craft your drag wardrobe by either embellishing existing garments or creating accessory pieces in a costume curation workshop
- The art of lip syncing and performance techniques with comedy
- Receive professional feedback and critique from your backstage team
- Prepare for the performance of your life at AUB: invite friends and family to experience the talent that is you!
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course certificate of attendance. You'll receive this at the end of your course.
On your last day you'll take part in a celebratory performance, to showcase the skills you've developed on the course. Together with your class you'll marvel at the personas you've created and celebrate your achievements and those of your fellow drag artists.
The Summer Courses team invite you to attend an optional farewell meal at a local restaurant. A perfect conclusion to your creative week where new friendships and skills shall be celebrated.
After this course you could:
- Use your new skills to further your career or change direction
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- Develop a robust portfolio of personal work to contribute to further study or employment
Further study opportunities
You may wish to consider the following further study options:
- Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- BA (Hons) Make-up for Media and Performance
- BA (Hons) Performance Design and Film Costume
- BA (Hons) Fine Art
You can also continue to harness your creativity; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses courses to see where your creative journey will take you next, including further Make-up and Prosthetics SFX short courses.
- Have the opportunity to freely experiment in a safe, supportive and encouraging environment under the expert guidance of an industry professional
- Find your drag style through hair, make-up and costume
- Come away with increased confidence – both in yourself and in your drag persona
- Develop your hosting and presenting skills
- Create your own brand and understand how to work as a freelancer
- Allow yourself to perform with confidence and enjoyment as you take to the stage
- Gain the confidence to show off your talent through social media
- Become familiar with pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone to experience your true potential
- As desired by RuPaul herself, you’ll gain charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent!
- The opportunity to network and share ideas with other students from around the globe
- Access AUB's industry-standard studio spaces, including the specialist equipment and materials relevant to your discipline
- Leave with skills and foundations that you can use at home to continue creating beyond this course
- Study alongside up to 16 like-minded students and have fun
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – so we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Your tutor is an industry professional, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, plus use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Examples of drag art
See below for a selection of examples of the type of work you'll undertake on this course. You'll develop your drag persona through and use wigs, make-up and costume to bring them to life, as well as learn a range of performance techniques to make your alter ego larger than life when they take to the stage and strut their stuff.
All you need to know about studying your Summer Artisan Workshop
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for Summer Artisan Workshops
When you book your course, you have the chance to add our residential package to your booking.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your Summer Artisan Workshop place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Terms and Conditions – Summer Artisan Workshops
Summer Artisan Workshops – booking terms and conditions for 2024.
FAQs – Summer Artisan Workshops
We've provided some frequently asked questions which we hope will support any questions you may have prior to booking your course.