You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This two-week summer course is perfect for students aged 15-18 that are keen to develop their design skills to create innovative functional products.
To book your place today, simply click 'book now' to be taken to AUB's secure online store where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for summer course updates.
What you need to know
Check out the course dates and fees for this two-week full-time course below, including our popular residential package.
When does the course run?
Monday 5 August – Friday 16 August 2024
How long is the course?
What time will my classes be?
There'll be a daily lunch break, plus other breaks within the schedule.
Your first day will start at 08.30 and the summer courses team will contact you before you arrive with your full joining instructions, so you know where to go.
Your classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You’ll be taught in our state-of-the-art creative studios and digital suites, with access to AUB’s library and online resources.
Welcome to Bournemouth
Arts University Bournemouth is located on the south coast of the UK.
Be inspired by your surroundings and discover what’s beyond the campus during the summer. We’re situated in a safe coastal location with award-winning beaches, a lively social scene and lots of cultural attractions and events throughout the year. Our small size means we’re a tight-knit community that’s friendly as well as accessible.
Bournemouth is one of the top destinations for tourists, and as a town with three universities and large number of language schools, it attracts a diverse mixture of international students.
The best of England is on our doorstep too – we're just a two-hour train ride from London with other popular location such as Dorset’s Jurassic Coast (World Heritage Site) and the New Forest National Park nearby.
Did you know?
Bournemouth has been once again voted the ‘Best Beach in the UK’ by TripAdvisor!
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring artists aged 15-18 years old.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience and wish to develop your skills further.
Do I need qualifications for this course?
There are no formal academic entry requirements or qualifications needed to study this course.
We only ask that you come with a passion for the creative arts and plenty of enthusiasm!
Do I need an English language qualification?
This course will be taught in English.
There are no formal English language entry requirements and we don't require you hold an English language qualification.
However, we recommend you have an intermediate level of English in order to benefit fully from your experience, and be able to communicate with your tutors and fellow students.
I'm not sure if this course is suitable for me, can I contact you?
If you're unsure if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us and we'll advise you. Either email us at email@example.com or call us on +44 1202 363222.
What's included in my course fee?
There are no hidden fees. All course materials and equipment/resources are included in the course fee.
You can choose to add the following optional extras to your course fee:
- Residential and full-board catering
- Private taxi transfer to/from any London airport
See below the prices of our packages. Choose your package during the booking process.
Can I secure my place with a deposit?
You can secure your place on the course today with just a 25% deposit of your total fee.
Choose this option when you book your place. Refer to the table below for prices.
Course fee only
Course fee, PLUS residential catering
Course fee, PLUS residential catering and airport taxi
Each year, we’re proud to offer many of our summer students places on AUB’s incredible full-time creative courses. During your summer course you'll have the opportunity to learn more about studying full-time at AUB.
If any International fee-paying summer student progresses to study full-time at AUB – to either the one-year Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media or a three-year undergraduate degree – they're guaranteed to receive a £3,000 bursary for their first year of study.
When you book this course today, you have the opportunity to experience life as a university student by opting for the residential package, which aims to give our summer students a taste of life as a full-time #AUBMAKER.
If you wish to include accommodation and/or a return airport taxi transfer in your Summer Course booking, simply select the relevant option when you book your place.
Residential and catering package
Residential package includes:
- Full-board catering (breakfast, lunch and evening dinner)
- Single study bedroom with private en-suite bathroom in Madeira Road Halls of Residence, situated in the Lansdowne area of Bournemouth – take a look at our accommodation
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- Live-in AUB summer Student Ambassador Care and Welfare team, giving you support 24/7
- Cultural city excursion
- Comprehensive schedule of evening and weekend social activities
- Optional return airport taxi transfer to/from any London airport
Due to popularity, summer accommodation in Madeira Road Halls of Residence is allocated on a first come, first served basis. We highly recommend you book your accommodation as soon as possible to guarantee it – simply select the residential option when you book your course place.
Return private taxi airport transfer
We can arrange for a return private airport taxi transfer to/from any London-based airport.
To book an airport transfer select the option when you book your course. We'll then contact you to arrange the details of your transfer nearer the time, once you've booked your flights.
If you have any questions or need to provide us with details of your flights please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, the deadline to book airport transfers through AUB is Sunday 23 June 2024.
About this course
This highly practical specialist summer course is perfect if you're considering further studies or a career in product design and wish to develop your curiosity about the design and manufacture of products, taking concepts through an informed creative design process to prototyping and testing.
You'll be introduced to the key concepts of the design process, through a combination of talks, idea generation, development exercises, including practical workshops that explore creative problem-solving approaches to seek solutions to real-world applications.
Through a combination of studio based hands-on projects, you'll examine product design development processes, from initial concept ideas to constructing and testing products using a combination of practical and digital assembly methods involving tactile Modelmaking and 3D computer-generated prototyping.
You'll study in a collaborative environment in our dedicated innovation and creative studios with access to our specialist workshops. You'll develop your creative thinking and gain insight and experience in the full design process, starting with exploration, research, translation, and design techniques, through to experimentation, building, and testing functional prototype designs.
Throughout the course, you'll be guided and supported through initial research and analysis sessions using a wide variety of techniques, methods, and materials. This'll include computer aided design, virtual reality, and 3D printing methods to experiment and test functionality of your prototype concept work – a key skill if you want to enter the product design industry and learn how to express your design concepts.
- Identifying the design challenge and researching ideas
- Project briefing and responding to a brief creatively
- Methods and types of manufacture, materials, properties, forms, composites, and functionality, and understanding
- Creating 2D and 3D design prototypes and project practice
- Experimentation, testing, and developing your product design work
- Develop intellectual curiosity and vocabulary about the design and manufacture of products
- Work collaboratively to refine ideas responding to feedback
- Demonstrate self-expression and participation
- Gain a critical understanding of wider influences on design and technology including biodiversity, sustainability, and ecological considerations
- Encouraging creativity and idea generation
- Provide problem-solving approaches and techniques
- Enhanced design thinking
- Final project presentations
- Develop confidence in your ideas and abilities as a product designer
- Develop a varied portfolio of creative work to demonstrate your skills and creative identity in product design
- Provide extended practical sessions to experiment and test your design ideas and concepts and creative processes in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your observational and design skills to enhance your aesthetic awareness and inform your research activities
- Provide opportunities to experience a wide variety of materials and construction techniques
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering your own and fellow students' work
- Enhance your understanding of the field of product design
- Be the proud owner of a robust portfolio of work that can be used to support your future applications for further creative study
- Be able to demonstrate a wide range of product design techniques utilising appropriate industry equipment
- Possess improved artistic skills
- Be knowledgeable in a range of different artistic processes
- Not be afraid to experiment and adapt your ideas as you go
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
Plus, all students that complete the course with 100% attendance will be issued with an official AUB summer course certificate.
Guidance and support
Throughout the course your tutors will offer guidance and support you with your creative academic applications, as well as provide feedback on your work and offer advice for your future creative studies.
Continue your studies at AUB
Each year, we’re proud to offer many of our summer students places on AUB’s incredible full-time creative courses.
We offer you the chance to attend a series of progression and portfolio talks to give you the chance to find out more about studying at AUB in the future.
During your time with us you can attend a session to talk more about our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design or BA (Hons) undergraduate degree courses, and discuss your personal portfolio with an expert academic.
You may even be eligible for a pre-application interview, to secure your future place at AUB!
Courses that you may be interested in
Meet your course leader
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for 2-week summer courses (15-18yrs)
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Summer Courses terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.