You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Summer courses
- 2-Week Portfolio Preparation Courses (15-17yrs)
- Portfolio Preparation for Animation Prod...
Portfolio Preparation for Animation Production
This 2-week intensive summer course is perfect for students aged 15-17 who are looking for an unparalleled insight into the world of animation and production design.
To book your place today, simply click 'book now' to be taken to AUB's secure online store where you can complete your booking.
Check out the course dates and fees for this 2-week full-time course below, including our popular residential package.
Monday 31 July 2023 – Friday 11 August 2023
- Course fee only: £1,499
- Course fee including residential and half-board catering package: £2,199
Please note, you can secure your place on the course today with just a £695 deposit.
When you book this course today you have the opportunity to experience life as a university student by opting for the residential package, which aims to give our summer students a taste of life as a full-time #AUBMAKER.
Residential package includes:
- Half-board catering (breakfast and lunch)
- Single study bedroom with private en-suite bathroom in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
- Optional taxi transfer from the airport
- Social activities and excursions
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
If you wish to include accommodation and/or a taxi transfer from the airport in your summer course booking, simply select the residential option when you book your place.
About this course
You’ll develop your observational and design skills through exercises in sketch, cinematic storytelling, storyboarding, scriptwriting and idea pitching, as well as through the exploration of hand-drawn techniques, and cut out and stop motion. This all leads to the production of your very own animated short film.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with industry-standard equipment in our dedicated animation studios, including professional standard armatures and light boxes.
Plus, you’ll be guided by our expert tutors through the application and use of post-production software to give you an understanding of editing techniques and creative post-production processes.
Through a series of workshops, seminars and practical sessions you'll be introduced to the 12 principles of animation in theory and practice, explore the fundamentals of animation through 2D animation exercises, and learn traditional and contemporary techniques.
Course highlights include:
- 12 principles of animation
- Narrative and storyboarding
- Drawing techniques and development
- Scriptwriting and storyboarding
- Cut out techniques
- Stop motion puppets
- Traditional 2D animation
- Layout and background
- Creative postproduction editing
- Film screening and critique
- Develop your drawing, observational skills, and aesthetic awareness in relation to animation design and production
- Enhance your animation skills through practical exercises, exploring contemporary techniques and traditional processes
- Provide teaching guidance and resources to enable students to devise and create their own short, animated film as a team
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of professional animation practice with access to industry standard equipment
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering yours and others work
All course materials and equipment are included in the course fee.
You’ll be taught in our state-of-the-art industry-standard art and design studios and digital suites, with access to AUB’s library and online resources.
Work produced during the course will be collated into a portfolio and/or digital journal for you to add to your portfolio or for future development.
Your course tutors will offer guidance and support you with your creative applications, as well as feedback on your work and offer advice for your future creative studies.
If you complete the course 100% course attendance you'll be issued with an official AUB summer course certificate detailing course contents and study hours.
During your course we'll arrange for you to attend a talk with our friendly team here at AUB where you’ll have all your burning questions about how to progress to study full-time at AUB answered.
Whilst studying your summer course you are guaranteed to receive a pre-application interview and portfolio review for the course(s) of your choice.
Course(s) that you may be interested in include:
Summer courses in action
Check out our Portfolio Preparation for Animation Production students in action, working in our specialist studios with industry-standard equipment, as well as some of the pieces created for their portfolios.
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for summer courses
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Continuing your studies with AUB after a summer course
Continue studying at AUB after you've completed a Summer Course. Progress onto a full-time Foundation or BA (Hons) Degree course.
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Booking terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.