You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Your young artist will study with us for five full days and each day will include six hours' worth of teaching, with breaks for snacks and lunch.
Plus, there's a BONUS Showcase Session on the Saturday immediately following the final day of teaching.
At the showcase, your young artists will exhibit their work. There'll also be a short awards ceremony, where each student will receive a certificate and special awards will also be given.
Friends and family are invited to attend the showcase so you can see what the students have been up to.
Monday 21 – Friday 25 August 2023, 09.30-16.00
Saturday 26 August 2023, 10.00-12.00
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus Monday – Saturday.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for budding video makers and VFX enthusiasts aged 12-15 who are keen to try new things.
Your aspiring filmmaker doesn't need any previous experience; this course is suitable for complete beginners.
Above all else, we ask that our young designers have an enthusiasm for all things fashion and a willingness to learn!
Please note, parents/guardians should be prepared to sign a video consent form for the purpose of showcasing films at the Saturday Showcase where friends and family are invited to attend.
Why should your young artist choose this course?
This course is ideal for young artists wishing to explore the world of film, television, and video making, including cutting-edge special effects.
Your young video maker will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded children, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young filmmaker will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future film or VFX studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Portfolio case
What should your young artist bring to class?
- Everything your mini-maker will need to take part in the course will be provided – no hidden costs!
- Your artist will need to bring a packed lunch with them every day, along with any drinks and snacks.
- Comes prepared to get messy – classes will be practical and young artists will be getting stuck in each day.
- We discourage young artists from bringing valuables – e.g. phones and tablets – onto campus, as they'll be learning all around the campus and any valuables are therefore left in classrooms at the owners' risk.
About this course
This high tech and vibrant course is ideal for young artists that have a keen interest in filmmaking and Visual Effects (VFX), in both the world of film and television. They'll learn the techniques used by filmmakers, showrunners, video artists, and YouTubers, and put them into practice.
On this course, young and aspiring filmmakers will have the opportunity to explore the world of video production using professional equipment and the latest specialist VFX software. They'll become junior directors, actors, editors and much more in order to produce incredible short films.
Your young artist will be able to get to grips with production planning, shooting video, and editing incorporating visual effects. Budding filmmakers will have access to green screens and professional-standard Adobe software to let their imaginations run wild.
With instruction and guidance from artist and youth tutor, Jessica Tipper, students will enjoy course activities in a positive and nurturing environment, creating work that's unlike anything they'd do in school. Students will work in groups, taking turns filming and acting to produce their first masterpieces. The course will allow students to develop their confidence and social skills and get a feel for education in a university setting, whilst meeting the individual needs of all students to create an inclusive and supportive experience for each young person.
Each jam-packed day will offer your young artist exciting challenges, the chance to learn new skills, techniques, and a variety of environments to stimulate creativity and excitement. This course will propel students toward creating a completed short film in each group, which'll all be showcased at the end of the week.
Students interested in learning the techniques used by filmmakers, show runners, YouTubers and video artists will thrive on this course and gain skills and experiences that'll stick with them into their futures.
- Experiment with using different cameras and setting up lighting equipment.
- Develop editing skills using Adobe Premier Pro.
- Experiment with cutting-edge software and specialist processes, including using green screens.
- Receive expert guidance from a practising specialist in digital art and video editing, where young artists will ‘learn by doing’.
- Insight into a wide range of lens-based professions.
- Have the opportunity to work in groups and develop social skills.
- Learn film and VFX foundations to continue developing and creating beyond this course.
- Have increased confidence and an enhanced skill set when it comes to planning, filming and editing their own short films and incorporating special effects.
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends.
- Have a completed short film that'll be premiered at the Saturday Showcase at the end of the course.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course your young artist could:
- Study a Portfolio Preparation course at Saturday Art School, to best prepare them to succeed with future applications to study film or VFX.
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next.
- Consider their next creative steps and explore options to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, BA (Hons) Visual Effects (VFX) for Film and Television or BA (Hons) Film Production.
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby.
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – so we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses.
- Our tutor, Jessica Tipper, is an industry professional, so your young artist will learn from the best.
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back.
- They'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative.
- Young artists will benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, plus use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity.
Meet your young artist's tutor
Creative Video and VFX makers in action
Your budding filmmakers and VFX creators will develop skills, methods, and specialist techniques to advance their film production understanding. They'll learn how to use different cameras and set up lighting equipment as well as how to professionally edit their films. At the end of the course, they'll have increased confidence in their video making abilities and will have produced a short film that'll be premiered at the Saturday Showcase.
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for summer courses
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Booking terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.