You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Summer courses
- 2-Week Portfolio Preparation Courses (15-17yrs)
- Portfolio Preparation for Filmmaking
Portfolio Preparation for Filmmaking
This 2-week intensive summer course is perfect for students aged 15-17 with a passion for filmmaking and/or an interest in pursuing film or media-related studies.
To book your place today, simply click 'book now' to be taken to AUB's secure online store where you can complete your booking.
Check out the course dates and fees for this 2-week full-time course below, including our popular residential package.
Monday 31 July 2023 – Friday 11 August 2023
- Course fee only: £1,499
- Course fee including residential and half-board catering package: £2,199
Please note, you can secure your place on the course today with just a £695 deposit.
When you book this course today you have the opportunity to experience life as a university student by opting for the residential package, which aims to give our summer students a taste of life as a full-time #AUBMAKER.
Residential package includes:
- Half-board catering (breakfast and lunch)
- Single study bedroom with private en-suite bathroom in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
- Optional taxi transfer from the airport
- Social activities and excursions
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
If you wish to include accommodation and/or a taxi transfer from the airport in your summer course booking, simply select the residential option when you book your place.
About this course
The UK film industry continues to be one of the world’s greatest providers of cinematic entertainment, and asks for passion, creativity, technical ability, vision, research and commitment.
You’ll have the opportunity to explore a variety of roles within the filmmaking process – from scriptwriting to the finished film – and will develop an understanding of both the creative and technical aspects of making a film.
Plus, you'll have the chance to work with live actors on set and learn the art of directing. Finished films will be screened at the end of the course for group critique and you'll be able to add it to your showreel.
Working in small groups you'll develop a screenplay, including shooting script and storyboard for a short fiction film. You’ll then also take part in pre-production tasks such as casting and developing a narrative, before beginning the live film shoot and post-production sessions.
Course highlights include:
- Create a short film from initial idea through to post-production
- Learn the fundamentals of filmmaking
- Storyboard development; narrative techniques
- Script writing and developing drafts
- Production design
- Casting and rehearsals
- The art of directing; working with actors
- Lighting a scene
- Camera angles and shot selection
- 2-3 days live film shooting
- Editing and post-production techniques
- Sound editing
- Film screening with group critique
- Develop your understanding of storytelling principles and strategies specific to the short fiction film
- Enhance your understanding of narrative techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a short fiction film and understand the process from storyboard through to finished screening
- Provide participants with the opportunity to explore distinct roles of a film crew, gaining an understanding of film crew responsibilities and skills
- Enhance your understanding of film technical processes and cinematic terminology (e.g. mise-en-scène, editing, sound, etc.)
- Enable you to explore industry standard film equipment, developing your confidence and understanding of cinematic equipment and best practice
- Encourage your reflective skills through the critique of your own and others’ work, as well as through the critical study of film
- Develop your practical experience and understanding of post-production techniques and processes, including sound editing.
All course materials and equipment are included in the course fee.
You’ll be taught in our state-of-the-art industry-standard art and design studios and digital suites, with access to AUB’s library and online resources.
Work produced during the course will be collated into a portfolio and/or digital journal for you to add to your portfolio or for future development.
Your course tutors will offer guidance and support you with your creative applications, as well as feedback on your work and offer advice for your future creative studies.
If you complete the course 100% course attendance you'll be issued with an official AUB summer course certificate detailing course contents and study hours.
During your course we'll arrange for you to attend a talk with our friendly team here at AUB where you’ll have all your burning questions about how to progress to study full-time at AUB answered.
Whilst studying your Summer Course you are guaranteed to receive a pre-application interview and portfolio review for the course(s) of your choice.
Course(s) that you may be interested in include:
Summer courses in action
Check out our Portfolio Preparation for Filmmaking students in action working in our specialist studios spaces with industry-standard equipment.
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for summer courses
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Continuing your studies with AUB after a summer course
Continue studying at AUB after you've completed a Summer Course. Progress onto a full-time Foundation or BA (Hons) Degree course.
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Booking terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.