You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical course is available to study in either our spring, summer or autumn term. Check out the term dates and different course options below.
Tuesday 18 October – Tuesday 6 December 2022
plus Saturday 3 December
Duration and times
8 Tuesday evenings 18.00–21.00
1 Saturday 9.00 - 16.00
Sarah L Goy
Tuesday 17 January – Tuesday 21 March 2023
Duration and times
10 Tuesdays 18.00–21.00
Sarah L Goy
The course will encourage you to explore different methods of creativity and enjoy the process of creating art rather than focus upon the finished piece.
Each week you'll be given insight into different art movements and artists, in order to inspire your activities in areas such as action art, experimental ink work, marbling ink, acrylic paint pouring, water colour, expressive art inspired by poetry and ‘rubbish art’; using recycled materials to create artwork on canvases.
Inspiration will come from the likes of cave art, Japanese ink work, Kandinsky, Pollock, Matisse, and Rauschenberg. Colour will also play a big part of this course; how colour can affect us and influence our creative expression
Your tutor, Sarah L. Goy, has extensive experience as a practising fine artist, trained illustrator, and experimental animation. Her art practice and extensive world travels have heavily influenced her belief that art is for all; she will guide all students on the course to explore their own creativity and enjoy the process in a supportive and encouraging environment.
- Experienced guidance from a practising artist who is an expert in running relaxation styled workshops/classes
- Experiment and learn different ways to use a wide variety of materials in a variety of ways
- Techniques inspired by famous artists and movements
- Use of unusual art materials
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
The course aims to:
- Introduce you to new ways of thinking and creating
- Explore unusual methods and mediums (2D and 3D)
- Encourage you to be comfortable letting your imagination run free
- Consider the ‘process’ and the ‘experience’ as equally important as the end result
- Learn and be inspired by famous artists and different art movements through time
- Provide a broad introduction to colour theory
- Experiment, build confidence and develop individual ideas, discovering new approaches to creating
- Provide a course environment in which you can relax and have fun through creating
- You'll feel confident using a variety of techniques and mediums
- Group share at the end of each session with the intention to support, inspire and encourage each other’s learning
- You'll develop a sketchbook/journal of experimental techniques
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is aimed at students with any level of ability, whether complete beginner of those with previous experience. Just bring an open mind and be prepared to express yourself creatively. Suitable for creatives aged 18+.
To your first class bring:
After your first class you'll be given further information about materials to bring each week by your tutor. This is likely to include:
- Hard back A4 sketchbook
- Pencils, black fine line drawing pens, charcoal and any other drawing materials you may have
- Cheap acrylic set and brushes
- Cheap canvases in variety of sizes
For all classes we advise that you wear clothes that you don't mind getting messy!
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.