You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Art, Design, Drawing and Painting
- Simply Drawing
On this course, you'll have the chance to simply learn how to draw! You'll focus on observational drawing and take the time to finesse and enjoy this traditional medium.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
16 January – 19 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in developing their drawing skills, learning new techniques and gaining confidence when it comes to observational drawing.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with drawing and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources
Are there additional costs?
There are no additional costs for this course; all equipment and materials will be provided by AUB.
What should you bring to class?
- A passion for creativity and a desire to learn alongside like-minded people
Why should you choose this course?
- All materials and resources are included in your course fee – no hidden costs!
- Learn new skills to develop your drawing style
- Come away with enhanced confidence in your observational drawing skills
- Experiment with different mediums
- Learn a wide range of fundamental drawing skills, including tone, composition, mark-making and perspective
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
In our increasingly digital-focused world, it may seem that traditional drawing has become obsolete. Thankfully this isn't the case! This special short course has been specially designed to focus on observational hand drawing; slowing down the process of learning to draw what you see by simply using pencil, pen, and charcoal. You'll have the chance to develop your observational drawing skills and gain confidence in your abilities. You'll also be encouraged to view drawing as a means of relaxation and taking personal time out.
There isn’t a magic recipe to learning to draw, but anyone can do it. This course will fully support you on your drawing journey, and it's the perfect place to develop your skills and practice.
Through relaxed but structured classes, you'll learn and master basic techniques at a steady pace. Each week you'll practise and build upon essential techniques through a variety of observational drawing projects.
You'll start your drawing journey with mark-making and learn about the weight of the line, shading, contrast, and tone. You'll also explore how to make something appear 3D, as well as how to incorporate light sources, consider simple composition, depth of field and basic perspective.
As the course progresses, you'll be introduced a wide variety of drawing techniques, styles, different mediums, and inspiring projects that'll accelerate learning, specialist skills and techniques to foster confidence and individual creativity.
- Experiment with different mediums, including pencil, pen and charcoal
- Learn and practise fundamental drawing principles, including tone, weight of the line, shading, and contrast
- Explore more advanced drawing techniques, including how to make something appear 3D, incorporate light sources, consider simple composition, depth of field and basic perspective
- Finesse your observational drawing skills through a range of fun projects
- Use a variety of exciting objects from the MoDiP (Museum of Design in Plastics) to inspire your drawing projects
- Possess improved artistic and drawing skills
- Understand fundamental drawing principles
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a range of beautiful pieces designed and created by you
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your metal crafting skills further; explore our full range of Art, Design, Drawing and Painting short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Sarah L Goy
Having graduated from Bournemouth and Poole College of Art and Design Sarah is a qualified illustrator and a contemporary artist.
Simply drawing gallery
On this course you'll develop a range of new skills and practical techniques to enable you to draw with confidence. You'll learn fundamental drawing principles, including tone, composition, mark-making and perspective. Plus, you'll tackle more advanced more advanced drawing techniques, including how to make something appear 3D, incorporate light sources, consider simple composition, depth of field and basic perspective. All projects will unleash your creativity and allow your voice to shine through.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.