You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
Over 10 weeks on this lively course, you’ll gain hands-on experience in writing, filming, and editing to introduce you to the full filmmaking process.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Autumn term 2023
Monday 2 October – 4 December 2023 (Please note there is no session on Monday 6 November)
Saturday 11 November 2023
Spring term 2024
Monday 15 January – 18 March 2024
Saturday 17 February 2024
How long is the course?
10 weeks, split across 9 Monday evenings and 1 Saturday
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring filmmakers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their filmmaking and editing skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources.
Are there additional costs?
No, all course materials and resources are included in your course fee.
Please note, you may find it beneficial to practise your skills in between sessions. To do this, you’ll need to have access to a computer with Adobe Creative Suite installed. You can get a 7-day free trial from Adobe after which you can purchase the software starting at £51.98 per month.
What should you bring to class?
- A notebook and pen/pencils to take notes
Why should you choose this course?
- Improve your artistic abilities
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create and edit your own films
- Gain hands-on experience of the full filmmaking process, from idea to final cut
- Get to grips with the processes and roles involved in film production
- Undertake all the roles within film production – director, writer, cinematographer, editor
- Leave with a finished short film that shows off your newly developed skills
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue acting beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This practical-led 10-week course covers the essential aspects of film making including story, script development, planning, shot-lists, storyboarding, directing, lighting, camera work, non-linear editing and more. Through this course, you'll develop and shoot your own original short films in groups before individually editing your own unique cut.
The sessions are a mix of workshops covering film-based practice and theory that covers the process of making a short film from concept to final cut. From the first session, you'll work in groups to develop an original story idea through to the filmmaking process with the support of our experienced tutors.
Course tutor and writer, Celeste Engel, will introduce you to the genre of the short film, incorporating the screening and analysis of short films, as well as sharing her own short film experience. Through an introduction to scriptwriting alongside practical script development of original ideas, you'll get a taste of developing a short film from scratch. You'll be introduced to directing and storyboarding alongside practical workshops in which your films will be prepared for the shoot.
Your second course tutor, Tereza Tzelepaki, will teach you how to edit your films as a professional and will provide hands-on practical support, taking you through the variety of professional equipment provided by AUB ahead of filming on location.
You'll enjoy a full day on set/location where you'll shoot your film ahead of beginning the editing stage. You'll develop a working understanding of the importance of editing, the language and terminology, cutting styles, continuity editing parameters and editing to music.
- Introduction to scriptwriting
- Short film analysis
- Film production roles
- Directing, writing a brief
- Filming session
- Final review
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of the components, roles and processes involved in filmmaking
- Be able to shoot and edit your own film with confidence
- Have a clear overview of the film industry, its expectations and how to progress within it
- Possess improved artistic abilities
- Have a short film that showcases your newly developed skills
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: email@example.com or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your skills further; explore our range of Filmmaking and Production short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutors
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you