You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
In this 10-week course you'll explore bespoke textile design, pattern and printmaking, and learn the essential skills needed to create your own stunning printed fabric.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Wednesday 17 January – 20 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Wednesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring printmakers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their printing skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with printing or textiles and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' section below.
Are there additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring some printing and drawing equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
What should you bring to class?
Materials for week 1
- Set of rulers
- Sketch book
Materials for the rest of the course
- Linoleum (lino) blocks
- Fabric scraps for practising (to print on)
- Sketch book
- 2-3 clean (300-450 gr) jam jars with lids
- A thick towel
- Stencil card
- 1-2 A3 acetate sheet(s)
Why should you choose this course?
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create beautiful textiles design and prints with creativity
- Gain hands-on experience experimenting with different techniques and processes
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
This introductory course is an exploration of bespoke textile design, pattern and printmaking, learning through a hands-on creative process on multiple surfaces, such as fabric and paper. Through practising both old and new trends, you'll learn about the principles of composition, the meaning of scale, the use of colour and shapes and how to develop different types of repeat patterns.
You'll collect inspiration from shapes and objects found all around you (materials, found objects, photographs), and be encouraged to use your own drawings in your work. You'll be guided through the process of designing your own repeat patterns, learning about colour theory, creating your own colour palette and mastering the techniques of using textile inks for printing.
Your ideas will be brought to life through the exploration of hand printing techniques such as lino block printing, relief printing and silk screen printing.
You'll have the opportunity to produce sustainable, crafted retail products using techniques that you can then practice at home by decorating ready-made fabric products such as furnishing covers, tea towels, t-shirts, bags, lampshades, handmade wallpapers, scarves, table linens and so on.
Alternatively, you can practice and develop your printmaking skills by creating a selection of your own fabric samples. Whichever finished product or idea you choose to explore, you'll develop your knowledge and practical skills in creating aspirational homeware, decorated objects, furnishings and illustrated goods.
- Basic lino block, relief and silkscreen printing techniques
- Pattern and hand printing theory and inspiration
- Pattern drawing, structure and planning
- Sourcing fabrics and printing materials
- Fabric classification
- Design and creation of artwork for stencils
- Experiment with overprinting and manipulation
- Colour theory, colour palette development and ink mixing
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of the textile printing process and a range of different techniques
- Understand how to source appropriate fabrics and printing materials
- Possess the technical skills to create your own stencils effectively and use them efficiently
- Understand colour theory, palette development and ink mixing
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: email@example.com or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your printing skills further; explore our full range of Design and Print short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you