You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Design and Print
- Creative Printmaking – an Introduction
Creative Printmaking – an Introduction
Immerse yourself in the world of printmaking. In this exciting hands-on course you'll learn a variety of techniques and printing methods and will develop imagery through the traditional process of ‘Intaglio Printing’ as well as experimenting with ‘Relief Printing’.
Please note, new dates for this course will be confirmed in April. If you'd like to be the first to know when this course is available to book, simply click the 'Register Your Interest' button and provide your details.
Techniques covered in this hands-on course includes monoprinting or monotype, lino, drypoint, colour with intaglio, C Chine-collé and solar plate.
Each print you produce on this course will be completely unique. Each week, you'll draw on a variety of imagery for inspiration, including photographs and sketches, as well as taking inspiration from masterpieces and work from great artists throughout the decades.
Whether you’re a complete beginner or already possess printmaking skills, this course will build on your creative design skills and explore the world of image making through printmaking.
Throughout the course, you'll have access to an extensive range of printing presses in the studio.
- Lino cutting
- Solar plate
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
The course aims to:
- Provide you with an in-depth understanding of various print processes
- Enable you to work in any other professional print workshop’s
- Enhance your creative language by overlaying various print processes and use them to your advantage
- Develop your understanding of how to work safely
- Expand your knowledge to develop your own creative practice
- Provide you with a systematic approach of working safely with materials and solvents
- Give you a good understanding of printmaking practice through preliminary preparation
- Enable you to be a successful independent printmaker
- Provide you with knowledge and understanding into mark making onto various print matrix using materials, solvents and tools
- A solid understanding of the difference between Relief printing and Intaglio printing
- You'll have a selection of various examples of each process or overlaying the processes that you've produced throughout the course
- You'll be able to demonstrate the significance of mark making in printing and have the confidence to make your ideas as actual physical prints
- A good knowledge of colour theory within printmaking and an understanding of how an imagery develops with various colours
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate get in touch with the course team at email@example.com
The course is specially designed for anyone with little or no previous printmaking experience, or may have some experience and wishes to further their understanding. Suitable for budding printers aged 18+.
- A selection of quality printing paper (300gsm) or a pad of watercolour paper (300gsm)
- Cartridge paper (300gsm) or Printmaking Somerset paper (250gsm)
- Small piece of lino (see appendix for suppliers)
- Basic lino cut tools
- Latex gloves
- Drypoint needle
- Basic drawing materials
- A sketchbook
If you've any problems with purchasing any of the above materials, please speak to your tutor at the first session.
You're also welcome to bring your own oil-based printing inks should you wish.
Your tutor will advise on where you can purchase solar plates.
Please note, editioning of prints is not possible on this course. If you've any respiratory concerns, please contact us as this course may be unsuitable due to materials/substances used.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you