You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Wednesday 17 January – 20 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Wednesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for aspiring image makers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in developing their visual image-making skills, learning new techniques and gaining confidence when it comes to communicating visually.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an exploratory course. You must have existing visual image-making skills or a practice that you wish to broaden for commercial use.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed under the 'What should you bring to class?' section. See below.
Are there additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring your preferred image-making equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'What should you bring to class?' section below for full details.
What should you bring to class?
- A laptop or tablet
- Your preferred image-making materials: digital, analogue or both
- Any existing works that you're proud of and want to feed into your commercial practice
Why should you choose this course?
- Develop your understanding of commercial image-making and how this applies to your artistic interests and skills
- Learn new skills to develop your image-making style and creative voice
- Come away with enhanced confidence in your skills
- Discover a range of commercial outlets, and refine those most suited to your skills and interests
- Develop your knowledge and skills surrounding colour and composition theory, and master the fundamentals for communication in image-making
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside like-minded creatives
About this course
This exciting 10-week course is specifically aimed at image-makers of any level who are interested in applying their work within a commercial context.
This course is suitable if you're seeking to explore a commercial application for your image-making. This might be fine artists, drawers, painters, printmakers, illustrators, designers and more. You'll be guided towards those commercial outlets best fitted to your preferred practice and interests.
Throughout this course you'll be encouraged to delve into the world of commercial image-making, exploring its many forms and genres, from editorial image-making, children’s book illustration and poster design, to packaging design, selling your own prints and more. Through a series of practical workshops, project-based sessions and demonstrations, you'll learn how to develop your own style and wider practice within a commercial marketplace.
Delivered by Bridie Cheeseman, a commercial illustrator and artist with over 10 years' experience in the industry, the course will begin by visiting the history of commercial image-making. This'll allow you to explore and better understand the major commercial avenues and functions for visual arts.
You'll progress through a range of guided practical workshops and research tasks to explore and develop your own ideas, specialisms and interests. Ultimately, this'll assist in finding a new commercial focus that aligns with your interests or current practice and setting you upon a career path based around your artistic skills.
- Colour and composition theory
- Fundamentals for communication in image-making
- Guided practical, explorative and fun workshops that allow you to look at your practice through a new lens
- A range of demonstrations, and insights into famous artists' work and commercial outlets
- Pricing your work
- Putting together a portfolio
- Creating mock-ups
- Self-promotion and finding work, customers or clients
- Possess improved artistic and skills
- Understand fundamental commercial image-making principles
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Be able to approach the commercial marketplace with confidence
- Understand how to appropriately value and price your work within your chosen field
- Be the proud owner of your own professionally curated portfolio
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your image-making skills further; explore our full range of Art, Design, Drawing and Painting short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.