You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Art, Design, Drawing and Painting
- Creative and Experimental Mixed Media Ar...
Creative and Experimental Mixed Media Art
On this exciting introductory course, you'll release your personal style through the use of different mediums and methods of creating traditional art.
Please note, new dates for this course will be confirmed in April. If you'd like to be the first to know when this course is available to book, simply click the 'Register Your Interest' button and provide your details.
You'll be able to experiment with different techniques and materials to express yourself and make informed choices based upon contextualisation, developing self-confidence and your own unique interpretation.
Your tutor Julie James, who has practical experience in landscape, architecture, interior design and fine art, will give you an insight into designing, planning and creating experimental art. This'll allow you the freedom to fully experiment with researching and gathering concepts, brainstorming and designing followed by creating your ideas using collage, drawing, painting, pen and ink, 2D and 3D work and mixed media, while having a flexible structure already in place to work from.
During the 10-week course, you'll enter the world of art and design where you'll explore how to be structurally creative, embrace diversity, gather ideas to expand upon and make the work your own, record every idea then use your developed inspirations to create experimental artwork. By using your own findings and thoughts you will naturally be developing your own working style and methodology.
Each lesson will be a different subject and medium, you'll be advised what to bring the previous week. This will be delivered by a brief introduction of an art movement allowing a slight structure to the experimentation of medium. Commencing each session, a reflection of the previous weeks’ work, and an opportunity for students to receive group and individual critique.
- How to use different materials
- Acrylic and watercolour
- Drawing from still life
- Mark making
- 2D, 3D principles of design and colour theory
- Research and development of ideas
- Sketch book development (recording the process)
- Talk about your ideas and get constructive feedback
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
Julie James is an accomplished art and design practitioner in both an academic teaching setting and in a professional capacity.
The course aims to:
- Help you select appropriate materials for construction
- Boost confidence
- Deliver basic colour theory including complimentary colours
- Enable you to experiment with various mediums
- Enhance your ability by exploring new methods
- Develop new skills and explore and expand your own potential
- Experimenting with different mediums and methods to define which suits you
- Understanding different artistic processes
- Define and determine which areas you wish to pursue
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate get in touch with the course team at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no entry requirements to join this course, just plenty of enthusiasm.
For the first week of your course bring:
- A few pencils
- Coloured pens
Requirements for future weeks to be advised by your tutor on a week-by-week basis:
- A4 sketchbook
- Drawing pencils
- Pens/felt tips
- Craft knife
- Sharp scissors
- Oil pastels
- Acrylic/watercolour paint
- Small canvas board
- Selection of brushes
All other course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you