You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this exciting 10-week course you'll have the chance to develop your writing skills to take your first steps into writing an autobiography or memoir.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Thursday 18 January – 21 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Thursday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring writers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in creative writing and telling stories.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with writing and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources.
Are there additional costs?
There are no additional costs for this course; all equipment and materials will be provided by AUB.
What should you bring to class?
- A passion for creativity and a desire to learn alongside like-minded people
- Plenty of ideas or memories to inspire your work
- A notepad and pen/pencil to make notes with, or a laptop if you prefer
Why should you choose this course?
- All tools and materials are included in your course fee – no hidden costs
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to write captivating autofiction and organise your memories to best effect
- Learn a wide range of writing techniques, including how to pull your ideas together and create a narrative
- Discover your writer's voice
- Experience using a variety of tools needed to construct your memoir
- Embrace your originality and innovation
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
Memoir and Autofiction (combining elements of autobiography and fiction) are increasingly popular creative writing genres, either in published format, or privately, as a way of recording lives for the family and future generations.
This 10-week short course gives you the chance to learn and develop skills needed to produce your own captivating biography. Through a series of exciting projects, you'll build up your knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in collating your memoirs into shape and developing them into a cohesive narrative.
This course will stimulate and develop your writing based on personal experience with literary purpose. By the end of the course, you'll have built up a collection of written pieces to serve as a structure for a full-length memoir or autofiction.
Each session will focus on an element of memoir writing and you'll undertake exercises to explore it. Each exercise is aimed to encourage the development of your writing skills, imagination, and provide you with an awareness of what makes a good memoir from the perspective of the reader. You'll be expertly guided by your tutor, Christine Aziz, at every turn, and she'll offer objective advice to help you develop your skills further.
This course is highly practical, with exercises and activities designed to challenge and inspire you, whilst having fun at the same time. You'll learn and develop your skills and ideas in an encouraging environment that will be a safe space for you to share your personal memories and any writing or research.
Please note, the sharing of your work isn't compulsory and will be kept private if so desired.
- How to expand a personal story into writing that'll resonate with others
- How to create a structure for a memoir that'll give shape to the writer's material
- Development of research skills
- How to address the critical concepts of truth and memory, differing perspectives, permission, and voice
- The essential differences between memoir and autofiction and the legalities
- How to bypass the obstacles encountered by most people trying write memoir
- The essential tools needed to write: developing believable characters, compelling dialogue, story/plot, and where to begin
- Exploration of works by memoirists
- Possess the skills needed to write your own memoir or autofiction
- Understand the essential tools to craft a story, including developing believable characters, writing compelling dialogue, developing story/plot
- Understand how to organise your memories to the best effect for your reader and how to choose which memories to include and which to leave out
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a range of beautiful pieces designed and created by you
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your writing skills further; explore our full range of Creative Writing short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Memoir and autofiction gallery
On this course you'll develop a range of new writing skills and techniques to enable you to capture your memories and weave them into a narrative confidently and effectively. You'll master techniques to create believable characters, develop your plot and write compelling dialogue. You'll also explore the fundamental aspects of memoir and autofiction writing through a series of practical projects, all of which will unleash your creativity and allow you to discover your unique writer's voice.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you