You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical course is available to study in either our spring, summer or autumn term. Check out the term dates and different course options below.
Tuesday 17 January – Tuesday 21 March 2023
Duration and times
10 Tuesdays 18.00–21.00
This course provides you with the opportunity to experiment and take risks within a supportive and creative environment. The emphasis is highly practical with exercises and activities designed to inspire your imagination and help write creative prose with flair and fluency.
Each week you'll focus on different aspects of writing: developing believable characters, writing compelling dialogue, setting, show versus tell, plot and story, beginning, and more.
By the end of the course, you'll have mastered the basic tools to enhance your writing, whether as a novel, short story, film, stage, or television script. You'll receive ongoing constructive feedback from the tutor who is also willing to look at any other writing you do.
Supported with discussions, individual and group exercises in class, you'll be encouraged to write at home and to share your work with the group to gain feedback should you wish (it’s not compulsory!).
Studying many elements of creative writing, such as:
- Finding your voice
- Working methods
- Selling your work
- To develop creative writing skills in a number of genres and to discover and experience creative ways in which to get writing and keep writing
- To explore processes that offer inspiration and enjoyment
- An appreciation and understanding of different texts and genres
- To understand how to begin the writing process
- To provide a thorough understanding of writing for different settings
- Build your confidence in all styles of writing
- Boost your enjoyment of writing
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no academic requirements. This course focuses far more on creativity than academia. However, the course is taught in English, so a good level of English language ability will be required. Suitable for budding writers aged 18+.
All course materials are provided.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.