You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Creative Writing
- Creative Writing – An Introduction (Stag...
Creative Writing – An Introduction (Stage 1)
This 10-week course is perfect for aspiring writers who don’t know where to start as well as those prepping for a bigger writing project and want to get some basics under their belt.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Autumn term 2023
Tuesday 3 October – 5 December 2023
Spring term 2024
Tuesday 16 January – 19 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring writers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their writing skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
This course primarily focuses on creativity rather than academia. However, a good level of English is required as all classes and writing projects will be conducted in English.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources.
Are there any additional costs?
No, all course materials and resources are included in your course fee.
What should you bring to class?
- A notebook and pens/pencils for notes
Why should you choose this course?
- All course materials and resources included in your course fee – no hidden costs
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to develop your ideas into written pieces
- Improve your creative writing abilities
- Explore and experiment with different genres
- Discover ways to motivate yourself to get writing and keep writing
- Explore processes that offer inspiration and enjoyment
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 14 like-minded creatives
About this course
This 10-week course offers you the opportunity to discover and develop your writer's voice. The emphasis is on experimentation and risk taking through exercises and group activities that are designed to help you write creative prose with flair and fluency and fire your imagination.
Throughout the course, emphasis is placed on creativity and all exercises will be hands-on. Each week you’ll explore a different aspect of writing: how to develop believable characters, write compelling dialogue, setting, show versus tell, plot and story, beginning, and more.
By the end of the course, you'll have mastered the basic tools to enhance your writing, whether as a novel, short story, film, stage, or television script. You'll receive ongoing constructive feedback from the tutor who is also willing to look at any other writing you do.
You'll be encouraged to write at home and to share your work with the group and receive feedback should you wish (it’s not compulsory).
Throughout the course you’ll explore the fundamental elements of creative writing, including:
- Finding your voice
- Working methods
- Selling your work
- Be able to write in a variety of different styles and apply your knowledge to a range of genres
- Understand how to begin the writing process and know ways to motivate yourself to keep writing
- Possess improved writing skills
- Have a thorough understanding of writing for different settings, as well as an appreciation of different texts
- Not be afraid to experiment and adapt your ideas as you go
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity, imagination and enjoyment of writing
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Continue on your creative writing journey and advance your skills further with Creative Writing – the Next Chapter (stage 2)
- Harness your creativity and develop your writing skills in different genres; explore our full range of Creative Writing short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
In October 2005, Christine’s first novel, The Olive Readers won the biggest publishing award in the UK and was published by Macmillan.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.