I am a filmmaker and researcher in the field of animated documentary.
I have worked as a producer and film programmer as well as a director of live action and animated shorts. My 2013 animated documentary Devil in the Room was exhibited at more than 50 festivals, events and conferences worldwide and won the Best Documentary award at Cineglobe International Film Festival at CERN. My 2015 animation/live art show Out of Body, supported by Arts Council England and commissioned by London Short Film Festival, premiered at the Institute of Contemporary Art before touring to FACT Liverpool, Watershed Bristol, Latitude Festival and Cork Film Festival. My documentary installation Squeezed by Shadows currently features in the ‘States of Mind: Tracing the Edges of Consciousness’ exhibition at London’s Wellcome Collection.
I am also founder and director of Rich Pickings, science and film interdisciplinary events designed to broaden horizons.
Contact me at 1508293[at]my.aub.ac.uk or carla[at]mackinnonworks.com
- Best Documentary, Cineglobe International Film Festival (CERN) (2014)
- Film London: London Calling (2015)
- Wellcome Trust People Award (2015–2016)
- Making Animated Documentary Studentship Arts University Bournemouth (2015–2019)
- Wellcome Trust Arts Award (2012–2013)
- Supershorts/Big Boost 'Big Pitch' Documentary Award (2007)
- Screen Yorkshire Digital Shorts (2004)
Practice-based research into the production contexts of animated documentary, with a focus on documentaries with scientific and psychological subject matter. My research looks at questions including:
- What forces influence structure and style conventions in animated documentary?
- How do different communities of practice interact in the field of animated documentary?
- How do differing production processes between animated and live action documentary influence their content, approach and institutionally perceived place in the market?
Prof. Paul Ward, Dr. Paul Taberham, Dr. Thomas Walsh