Diploma in Art and Design – Foundation Studies
- Five GCSE or IGCSE passes at grade C or new grade 4 or above which must include a relevant Art, Design or Media subject plus Maths and English
- Plus the minimum of two GCE A-Level or vocational A level passes, at grade C or above (one of which must be in a relevant creative subject)
- 2 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma at Merit or a combination of BTEC Subsidiary Diploma and A level
- International Baccalaureate (IB) score of 24 or above. We will accept the equivalent in relevant individual IB certificates.
- BTEC/UAL Extended Diploma Merit
- BTEC/OCR (Tech) Extended Diploma at Merit Pass Pass
- Other relevant and equivalent Level 3 qualifications are considered on an individual basis
- Entry to a Foundation Diploma course usually follows two years of sixth form study.
We are unable to accept Functional Skills, Key Skills or ALAN tests in place of Maths or English from applicants who will be under 19 when the course starts.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions concerning your qualifications.
English language requirements
The following are acceptable equivalent English language qualifications for applicants whose first language is English:
- GCSE English, Language or Literature grade C / grade 4 or above
- GCE O-Level English grade C
- GCE A or AS levels English Language or Literature at any pass grade
- SQA Standard Grade Credit English
- SQA Intermediate 2 certificate English grade A-C
- SQA National 5 certificate English grade A-C
- SQA Higher Grade English grade D
- Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level English grade C2/O4
- Irish Leaving Certificate Higher Level English grade D3/H6
- IGCSE First or Second Language English grade C.
For overseas applicants who need a Tier IV Visa we require-
IELTS score of 5.5 or above, with a minimum of 5 in each component. Applicants who require a visa must also provide a UKVI number on the IELTS Test Report form. IELTS scores must be less than two years old to be valid.
For EU and Overseas applicants who do not require a visa to study at AUB we can accept a range of English Language qualifications including the following qualifications for Preparation for HE courses:
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) grade C
- Certificate of Attainment in English (London Board) level 5 or 6
- IELTS score of 5.5 or above, with a minimum of 5 in each component.
- International Baccalaureate (IB):Language B or English Language and Literature A at Higher Level grade 4, or at Standard Level grade 5.
EU and Overseas Qualifications
Austria – Successful completion of the Reifeprüfungzeugnis or Matura requirement is an overall average grade of 2
Belgium – Successful completion of the Diploma van Secundair Onderweijs, with an overall result of 5/10 or 11/20
Bulgaria – Pass Diploma za Sredno Obrazovanie with an overall average mark of at least 5.0
China – Successful completion of the Chinese Senior Secondary School Certificate with a minimum overall pass mark of 65% OR Pass CAFA International Foundation Year with a minimum of 70%
Cyprus – An overall score of at least 17 in Apolytirion of Eniaio Lykeio or Greek Cypriot Apolyterion.
Czech Republic – A score of 2.9 or higher in the Maturita
Denmark – Successful completion of the Studentereksamen with an overall result of 6/12
Estonia – Successful completion of Gümnaasiumi Lõputunnistus with an overall average result of 4.0 or above in all subjects, and Riigieksamid (National Exams) with average result of 70% in tests taken.
Finland – Successful completion of the Ylioppilastutkinto / Studentexamen with a result of 4/6 (Cum Laude).
France – A good pass (grade 10 or above) in the Baccalaureate. Baccalaureate à Option Internationale / Baccalaureate de l’Enseignement du Second Degré
Germany – A minimum overall grade of 3.0 in the Abitur Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife / Zeugnis der Reife / Reifezeugnis
Ghana – Successful completion of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with at least five subjects at grades A-C
Greece – A minimum overall score of 17 in Apolytirion of Eniaio Lykeio or Greek Cypriot Apolyterion.
Hong Kong – Achieve 544 to 543 in core or elective subjects (excluding liberal and general studies).
Hungary – 3.0 or better in the Erettsegi.
Iceland – Successful completion of Iceland Studentsprof with minimum of 7 in English when taken as a compulsory language.
India – 55% on 12th standard + 55% on 10th standard (including maths) Accepted exam boards: CBSE, CISCE, Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamil Nadu & West Bengal.
Ireland- Pass FETAC: 3 subjects with Merit. Or Irish Leaving Certificate (Irish Highers) grades H3, H3, H4 one of which must be in a relevant Art, Media or Design subject
Italy – A minimum of 70 points in Diploma di Esame di Stato (formerly Diploma di Maturita)
Japan – Successful completion of the Japanese Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate with a minimum overall pass mark of 3 OR successful completion of JCFL Study Overseas Art and Design college program.
Latvia – Good grades (7 – 8) in the Atestats par visparejo videjo izglitibu, plus a grade 8 for English
Lithuania – Brandos Atestatas overall grade 6 plus 50% overall grade at state examinations
Malaysia – Successful completion of Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (Malaysia Higher School Certificate) with grades BBB
Netherlands – Successful completion of the VWO Diploma with an overall results of 6/10
Nigeria – Successful completion of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with at least five subjects at grades A-C
Norway – Vitnemal: den Videeregaende Skole Examen Artium (with 4 in key subjects including English)
Oman – General Education Diploma with a minimum 80% mark
Poland – Successful completion of the Matura with an overall result of 60%
Portugal – Diploma de Ensino Secundário / Certificado de fim de Estudios Secundários with an average score of 16.0 in all subjects
Romania – Pass Romania- Diploma de Bacalaureat with grade 7 or above.
Russia – Successful completion of the Attestat with grade 3 overall.
Slovakia – Slovakia-Vysvedcenie o Maturitnej Skuske with a minimum of grade 2.0 (chvalitebny) in all subjects with the majority at grade 1.0 (vyborny)
South Africa – Successful completion of the South African National Senior Certificate with grades ABBBB/76666
South Korea – Successful completion of the South Korean High School Diploma with grades above mi (70-79)
Spain – Pass Titulo de Bachillerato with an average mark of 5.5 or higher
Sweden – minimum grade of 14 in the Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskola, plus VG/MVG in the ‘B’ course in English
Switzerland – Pass Cantonal Maturity Certificate or a Federal Maturity Certificate, or a professional Maturity Certificate at grade 4.
Taiwan – Successful completion of the Taiwanese Senior High School Leaving Certificate with a minimum overall pass mark of 65%
Turkey – Successful completion of the devlet Teknik LISE Diplomasi or Devlet Meslek LISE with grades of 3.5 or above.
USA – Successful completion of a High School Diploma with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
Vietnam – Successful completion of and evidence of Tot Nghiep Pho Thong trung Hoc (Upper secondary School Graduation Certificate
If you are an international student holding a Tier 4 Visa, unfortunately you will not be able to apply for a place on one of the Foundation overseas educational visits, as it is a Home Office requirement that you attend the University for a minimum of 15 hours of classroom study per week during term-time.
If you are a UK or EU student please contact firstname.lastname@example.org