Third year BA (Hons) Textiles students recently returned from a successful week at New Designers Part 1 at the Business Design Centre in Islington – the ‘UK’s most important exhibition for emerging design’.
New Designers is a showcase for new and emerging design talent in the UK, featuring graduate work from Britain’s leading design courses. Part I focuses on Textiles, as well as jewellery, ceramics and glass.
AUB Textiles graduates were able to promote their work and network with industry professionals.
The event saw AUB students secure freelance work with prominent textile design studios, internships, and invitations to interview for in-house and agency design positions.
Some students sold their designs at the event, whilst others were offered collaborative work with experimental product artists and makers of music videos:
- One student, Charlotte Alexander, was invited to exhibit her work at The National Centre for Craft & Design in Lincolnshire
- Meanwhile, Molly Meadway was approached by club culture magazine, Mixmag, for an exhibition of innovative designers in Germany
- Elizabeth Coombes sold one of her designs to renowned interiors company, Harlequin
Several students also secured full-time design posts at the following companies:
- Sudbury Silks – Mae Littleton
- Hand & Lock /Topshop/Selfridges – Ella Yeoman
- PrimeTower Poole – Elizabeth Coombes
- Bahrain Design House (swimwear) – Hannah Carson