Part-time work and Placements

This page will explain your work options as a Tier 4 student during your study.

Please note, if you have a Short-term study visa, you are not allowed to work, do placements or take an internship.

Working During your studies

In general, Tier 4 Students studying a degree course can work up to 20 hours per week during term time and those studying below degree level (Foundation Diploma) can work up to 10 hours per week during term time.

You will need to check your visa to confirm if and how much you are allowed to work. You can work in the UK if any of the following are listed on your visa:

  • work as in Tier 4 Rules
  • work limited to max 20 hrs. per week during term-time
  • work limited to max 10 hrs. per week during term-time

Your work limit should be worked out on a weekly basis; your allowance cannot be worked out as an average (e.g. 25 hours 1 week, 15 hours the next = 20 hours average) – you must not go over your maximum permitted hours of work in any one week. If you have permission to work, you can work full-time during your holidays.

Please note: ‘term time’ refers to the dates published by AUB in our Term Dates.

You must not work if the words “No work” or “Work prohibited” are printed on your visa. If you do work it would be a breach of your immigration conditions and a criminal offence.

You can do most kinds of work, but you must not:

  • be self-employed
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer including acting / performing
  • take a permanent full-time job

You might want to do unpaid voluntary work. There is a difference between unpaid employment and voluntary work, and you should always check with an employer who offers you voluntary work whether it might be seen as unpaid employment. Time you spend doing unpaid employment counts towards the total number of hours of work you can do in a week.

Can I take a gap year and work in the UK?

No, if you defer your studies your visa will be curtailed and you will be required to leave the UK.

Further information on working during your studies can be found on UKCISA website.

Placements and Internships

If you would like to undertake a placement or internship during term time, you will need to make sure that it complies with the Home Office’s requirements and discuss with your course leader in the first instance.

Tier 4 students studying at degree level or above can take up a full-time placement or internship during term time provided that:

  • the placement or internship is an integral and assessed part of the course
  • the placement or internship takes up no more than 50% of the total length of the course

The AUB will still be responsible for you as your sponsor during your placement or internship, which means we will continue to monitor and record your attendance.

If you are offered a placement or internship outside of term time (such as during the summer holidays), you can work full time and AUB will not be responsible for monitoring your attendance, nor does the placement have to form part of your course.