Working after your study

When you graduate, you may wish to remain in the UK to work and develop your professional practice. This page will give you an overview of the three most relevant visa categories for after-study work.

If you need a visa to study in the UK, you will also need a visa to work here. The Start-Up, Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 Temporary Worker visas are all suitable routes for recent or soon-to-be graduates. We recommend that you look at the information below to see whether one of these categories may be suitable for your aspirations before contacting the Compliance Officer  ( if you wish to discuss your options further.


Please note: the deadline for submitting your Expression of Interest form has been extended to the 8th May 2020. We will review other deadlines in due course.

AUB is a UKVI authorised Endorsing Body, which means that we are able to endorse first-time entrepreneurs who want to start a business in the UK. If we feel that you have an innovative and viable business idea, we can support your application for a Start-Up visa.

You can read about the eligibility requirements for the Start-Up visa on the Home Office website; we also recommend that you read Appendix W to the Immigration Rules in full before formally expressing your interest in an endorsement.

How do I get an endorsement from AUB?

We only endorse AUB alumni and those with a connection to the University. Please email us on if you have any questions regarding this.

Please download and read the Application Process document on the right, which will give you further information about the Start-Up visa, the application process for endorsement and our assessment criteria.


Tier 2 (General) is a visa route for people who have been offered a skilled job in the UK. In order to apply under the Tier 2 (General) visa category, you must meet all the following minimum requirements:

  • Your employer (who has offered you a job) must have a Tier 2 sponsor licence and provide you with a ‘certificate of sponsorship’
  • Your salary will normally need to be at least £30,000 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job – whichever is higher. You can check the appropriate rate for the job here. There is generally a lower salary requirement for those considered to be new entrants and switching from Tier 4.
  • Bank statements showing you’ve held at least £945 in funds for a 90-day period
  • Your job must have a particular skill level

You can find out more about the Tier 2 minimum requirements, fees and the application process on the Home Office website; we also recommend that you read the Tier 2 (General) Policy Guidance in full before submitting any application.  In addition, UKCISA have published a comprehensive and helpful guide to working after your studies.

IMPORTANT: We are only able to provide students with basic advice on this visa category. If you would like more specialist advice, we recommend you discuss your application with an authorised Immigration Adviser before submission.


The Tier 5 visa is aimed at young people, giving them a chance to live and work in the UK for a limited time. You can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa if you have an offer for a full-time internship that meets UKVI’s requirements. The internship must be paid in line with the UK’s minimum wage legislation.

You need a certificate of sponsorship before you submit your visa application. Under the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker -Government Authorised Exchange), this can be issued by a government approved sponsor. Relevant schemes include AIESEC (Access Tier 5 scheme), GTI (Tier 5 Intern Program) and BUNAC (Intern in Britain); a full list of sponsors can be found here.

IMPORTANT: We are unable to offer any guidance on this visa category. We strongly recommend that you do your own research and contact an authorised Immigration Adviser or one of the approved sponsors linked above for further information.