Applying for a Short-Term Study Visa

This page will explain who can apply for a Short-Term Study Visa and the application process.

Please note, the Short-Term Study Visa replaced the Student Visitor Visa route on 24th April 2015.

Before applying for a Shot Term-Study Visa, please note:

  • You need to hold an unconditional offer for a course which is less than 6 months in duration
  • You can apply to conduct research or complete part of an overseas course in the UK
  • You cannot apply for your UK visa earlier than 3 months before the start date of your course
  • You will be unable to change/extend/apply for a new visa when in the UK
  • You cannot work – paid or unpaid

How you apply for a Short-Term Study Visa will depend on if you are a “visa national” or a “non visa national”.

Visa nationals

  • Online via Visa4uk – unless you are applying from North Korea
  • Paper applications – if you are applying from North Korea or Cuba

Non visa nationals

  • Online via Visa4uk
  • As a non visa national, you may also apply for “Leave to Enter” on arrival at the UK airport but there is no guarantee that you will be allowed entry. Please note, if you choose to apply via the “Leave to Enter” option you must make sure that you carry in your hand luggage the required documents (listed below) and make sure you ask to be admitted as a Short-Term Student (rather than a Visitor).

You can use the Visa Checker to find out if you are need to apply for your visa before you travel to the UK.

Please note, it will be your responsibility to demonstrate each time you travel in and out of the UK that you still meet the student rules by carrying up to date information (as below). You should not take permission to re-enter for granted!

Documents Required

You will need to supply the following with your application;

  • A current passport or other valid travel identification
  • 1 passport-sized colour photograph
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • Documents about your course; e.g an offer letter from the Arts University Bournemouth that confirms our course details, tuition and accommodation fees

We suggest you read the guide for a full list of documents you can provide.