Dependants of Tier 4 Applicants

Some students can bring dependants with them to the UK. This section covers who can bring dependants and the visa application process for Tier 4 dependants.

Which Tier 4 (General) students can bring family MEMBERS to the UK?

You can apply to bring dependents to the UK if you’re:

  • sponsored by a higher education institution on a course at NQF level 7 or above that lasts 1 year or more.
  • a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts 6 months or longer.

If you meet either of the above two criteria you can apply to bring  the following family members as your dependants:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner
  • your unmarried or same-sex partner
  • your child under 18 years old

Please see the UKCISA for more information and further requirements.

How to apply

 Before applying you and your dependants should refer to the Dependants Policy Guidance.

 If your dependants are currently outside the UK:

  • Your dependants must apply for ‘entry clearance’ from the British authorities in their home country before they travel to the UK.
  • Your family members must apply online.
  • They’ll need to have their fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre.
  • Dependants form North Korea should download the VAF10 application form to apply.

The UKCISA website provides more information regarding how to apply as a dependant.

If your dependants are already in the UK, with immigration permission as your dependant:

  • Your dependant can make an application online from within the UK to extend their stay.
  • We suggest your dependants apply at the same time as you and book an appointment with the International Student Adviser to check through the application before submitting it to the Home Office. You should complete as much of the application form as possible on your own and stop before you agree to the declaration.

If your dependants are already in the UK as visitors

If your dependant has immigration permission to be in the UK as a visitor, they must return home to apply for ‘entry clearance’ from the British authorities, before travelling back to the UK with that entry clearance. See the information above regarding applying overseas.

Financial requirements for dependants

You will need to show that you have the required maintenance for you (the main applicant) and each of your dependants who are applying for immigration permission; if you do not meet these financial requirements all applications, including yours, will be refused.

The amount of money that each dependant must show is as follows:

  • If you will study outside London £680 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of 9 months (that is, a maximum figure of £6,120). Please note, this is in additional to the money you are required to show for your application.

Please refer to the UKCISA website and Policy Guidance for Dependants for further information regarding available funds and the evidence required to demonstrate this and contact the International Student Adviser if you have any questions.